Rioting spreading through London & to other English cities.

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 03:58 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
We only have riots when the Tories are in power.

Quote:
Football violence at soccer/football game between West Ham United F.C. fans and Stoke City F.C. fans, both inside the stadium and outside. United Kingdom[citation needed]
2009 - Luton, United Kingdom, riot against Muslim extremists who disrupted a homecoming parade of British soldiers, May 24

2009 - Riot in Downtown Los Angeles after Lakers win the Championship, June 14
2009 - 2009 Iranian election protests
2009 - Protests against military coup in Tegucigalpa, Honduras, June 28 --?
2009 - July 2009 Ürümqi riots in Ürümqi, China, July 5 --?
2009 - Riots in Jerusalem after the welfare officials rescued toddler who was being starved by his abusive Ultra Orthodox mother who is a member of the small Toldos Aharon community, which does not recognized the state of Israel, municipal services were suspended to all neighborhoods where riots developed.
2009 - Riots in Pakistan's central Punjab, 8 dead.[59]
2009 – Riots in Birmingham, United Kingdom when far-right activists clash with anti-racism protesters and local members of the Muslim and Afro-Caribbean community on August 8, 2009.[60][61]
2009 – Arab protesters clashed with Israeli security forces during riots near Temple Mount in Jerusalem, Israel.[62]
2009 - Football violence before, at and after a Carling Cup match between West Ham United and Millwall in London at Upton Park. There where also 3 pitch invasions.
2009 - Football riot in Široki Brijeg, Bosnia and Herzegovina, 1 dead.
2009 - Bastille Day Riots in the commune of Montreuil, France; July 9th
[edit]2010s

Bollocks!
izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 03:59 am
@msolga,
The problem is that both Finn and Hawkeye 'know' what's happening. They don't need to look at facts or evidence to make their minds up. Neither of them seem to realise that the UK is not the USA, and neither of them are prepared to learn anything.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 04:00 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
This is yet another case of Chicken Little pretending he knows something about what goes on in the world outside the immediate range of his eyesight.
Facts not in evidence. Have you any?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 04:01 am
@Setanta,
You're right about our illustious Hawkeye. The problem is every now and again he says something that sounds quite reasonable, and it's easy to forget who you're dealing with.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 04:04 am
@hawkeye10,
Trouble at football matches, and tensions between extremists can not be classed as full scale rioting. Apples and Oranges as Setanta would say.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 04:05 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

The problem is that both Finn and Hawkeye 'know' what's happening. They don't need to look at facts or evidence to make their minds up. Neither of them seem to realise that the UK is not the USA, and neither of them are prepared to learn anything.
Sounds like what we get in America where Blacks often claim that no individual of other race can speak on black community issues becuase we just dont understand, or when women claim that only women can make movies that speak on women's issues because men just dont understand. It is a bold attempt to control the story line to ones liking. It is also bullshit that deserves to be ignored.
msolga

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 04:06 am
@izzythepush,
PLEASE let's not derail this thread by discussing hawkeye, in depth!

I have seen so many good threads go down the gurgler, people turning off a previously good discussion, for that very reason.

Hawkeye is an expert in distracting the focus of a good discussion from the actual topic of the thread to himself.

At which point many people stop participating.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 04:06 am
@hawkeye10,
Your bullshit claim about Bratton and his relationship to Cameron's government is a case of "facts not in evidence." It's not as though we ever expect you to either have "facts," or to reasonably link facts to the codswallop you typical post.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 04:07 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Trouble at football matches, and tensions between extremists can not be classed as full scale rioting. Apples and Oranges as Setanta would say.
Kinda shows how Brits are prone to resort to violence, but what do I know, I am an ignorant American....how dare I speak in this thread, I could not possibly know anything about the UK.

Besides, now that you have staked a position you will now refute or ignore all evidence to the contrary, as this is how closed minded people like you operate.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 04:14 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

It is a bold attempt to control the story line to ones liking. It is also bullshit that deserves to be ignored.

You're very good about spouting bullshit that needs to be ignored. I'm not saying that only those of us who live here understand what's going on, but if you are unable, or unwilling to learn about 'facts on the ground,' before you open your mouth, you're going to continue spouting rubbish.

Setanta is American; on the Murdoch thread he asked me a load of questions about the current political make up of the House of Commons. He didn't start giving his opinion until he was sure he knew what was going on.

Finn may be completely wrong, but at least he sounds a bit like a Tory spin doctor. You sound like an idiot.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 04:17 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Besides, now that you have staked a position you will now refute or ignore all evidence to the contrary, as this is how closed minded people like you operate.

It is not being narrow minded to reject complete nonsense. Your likening of the rioters to the protesters in Egypt shows how little you understand what is going on.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 04:21 am
@izzythepush,
hawkeye10 wrote:
izzythepush wrote:
It is not being narrow minded to reject complete nonsense.
Your likening of the rioters to the protesters in Egypt shows how little you understand what is going on.
R U rioting, Pushy ??

Going for the 5 finger discount ?????
izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 04:23 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I think you need to change your medication Dave. Once you have something that works, you may want to take part in a serious discussion, instead of throwing cheap insults about.
msolga

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 04:26 am
So, to change the subject Wink ..... have things settled down in Britain today?

It certainly sounds like it, given the lack of news reports of any fresh outbreaks.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 04:27 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Your likening of the rioters to the protesters in Egypt shows how little you understand what is going on.
Or maybe it shows that you dont, that is what discussion and debate is for dont you know, but you already know that you must be right and all opposing views must be wrong so you dont need no stinking discussion do you.....
msolga

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 04:28 am
@hawkeye10,
Repeat question. Wink

Quote:
So, to change the subject Wink ..... have things settled down in Britain today?

It certainly sounds like it, given the lack of news reports of any fresh outbreaks.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 04:30 am
@izzythepush,
I 'm trying to figure out what is represented
in your avatar, there, Pushy.

Is that U, threatening to slug
a terrified, unarmed Englishman,
if he does not strip fast enuf & give u his clothes and sneakers ?????????
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 04:30 am
@hawkeye10,
More evidence that British culture has become violent

Quote:
The author claims she is is fed up with increasing levels of "sadistic misogyny" in crime fiction and says authors are simply jumping on the bandwagon to get a bestseller.
"Each psychopath is more sadistic than the last and his victims' sufferings are described in detail that becomes ever more explicit as young women are imprisoned, bound, eaten, starved, suffocated, stabbed, boiled or burned alive," she told the Observer.
"Authors must be free to write and publishers to publish. But critics must be free to say when they have had enough. So however many more outpourings of sadistic misogyny are crammed on to the bandwagon, no more will be reviewed by me," she added.
And the most disturbing plots are by female authors, she says.
"The trend cannot be attributed to an anti-feminist backlash because the most inventive fiction of this kind is written by women," she claims.
Natasha Cooper, former chair of the Crime Writer' Association, agrees with Ms Mann. She says women do this so they are taken seriously as authors.
"There is a general feeling that women writers are less important than male writers and what can save and propel them on to the bestseller list is if they produce at least one novel with very graphic violence in it to establish their credibility and prove they are not girly," she said.
The British market for crime fiction is worth more than £116m a year, with almost 21 million books sold.
Women account for more than 60 per cent of the readership with females over 55 the most avid readers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/6431386/Book-reviewer-quits-over-increasing-sexist-violence.html

And it aint just the Blokes or the young who like it rough!
izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 04:32 am
@msolga,
Things have settled down. Although the conditions that caused it to erupt have not gone away. I don't think there will be anything like this until public sector strikes come round. Those will be mostly peaceful, but some anarchists will kick off. The violence will be directed at the police, and symbols of the very rich, not ordinary shop keepers.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 04:34 am
@msolga,
Hey MzO

yes, IMO things have settled down here - we shall have to wait and see what tonight brings, a week on - but yes, things are calmer on the streets - rebuilding has started and the communities with the most damage are pulling together.

However, now the political battles are starting - despite the "united front"

I'm increasingly annoyed at some things

We "cannot arrest ourselves out of this" - I agree with the US chap's words - much needs addressing.

The double standards, as usual, are becoming clearer and clearer by the day.

No-one wishes to take responsibility.

Things I am currently annoyed about

Police budget cuts et al / government has dosh in the coffers to pay out to all businesses-individuals that have had damage – hundreds of millions

Listening to how naughty Joe Public do bad/heinous things and how ‘we good people’ will Fightback / this coming out of the mouths of corrupt politician

The fallout over (dis)proportionate crime sentencing – as compared to two weeks ago prior to riots – followed by evictions from social housing / no such similar sentences to people who rent properties from landlords or own their own homes – to me this this seems wrong.

I'm conflicted on many things.