Rioting spreading through London & to other English cities.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 05:58 pm
@reasoning logic,
The detail doesn't remain as I voted them back up.

I admit that I sometimes vote up posts that are well constructed that I agree with, probably a fair percentage more than the ones I vote up as well constructed that I disagree with, but hey, I try. I like to see brains engaging. I have learned from posts I disagree with and am fine with people posting them. Some folks seem quite threatened by disagreement, whoever they are.

Well, this isn't all about me and thumbs, I was just annoyed. Back to Scotland then.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 05:59 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
Is that correct?
If so, shocking

What is even more shocking is that pubs have free internet access!
msolga

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 06:10 pm
@reasoning logic,
You think so? Confused
That's more shocking than this?
Quote:
Quote:
Infant mortality in Glasgow is 5.4 and in S.E. England 3.9.

If this is correct, it sounds a convincing argument for improving health services in Glasgow to me.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 06:23 pm
@msolga,
You got me there! You are correct, I was just joking about how some people could be so impaired and still be given internet access by their local pub! Wink
msolga

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 06:26 pm
@reasoning logic,
Then I'm glad you weren't being serious.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 06:36 pm
@msolga,
I had a colleague, a chemist from Glasgow whom I knew from day to day on our floor of laboratories, and sometimes a bit more that that, with some talking over tea.
Well, her tea, and my coffee. This was in the sixties. Wish I could talk with her now again, re Glasgow and Edinburgh, where she studied. I've read a bit, maybe too much from police procedurals, and I'm far away.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 06:52 pm
@ossobuco,
It is nice to see the real you!

I always enjoy seeing real people because it gives me more to be wrong about! Just kidding

I learn from being wrong!

Do You make the same mistake that I find myself doing frequently?
I would like to blame it on my PC but no mater how hard I try I can not find a way for my PC to repeat the same word twice!

I had a colleague, a chemist from Glasgow whom I knew from day to day on our floor of laboratories, and sometimes a bit more that that,
ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 07:03 pm
@reasoning logic,
I post this avatar once in a while, maybe once a year, dependent on Mame keeping it on whatever site she does - that was 2008. My hair is grayer now. I'm actually not a rescue corgi (not my words, I wouldn't call him that exactly). We had different attributes. He was more assertive when he wasn't cowering behind my purse.

Not sure what you are talking about re repetition, maybe your machine..
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 07:05 pm
@msolga,

Maybe the best answer
is to COMPLETELY disarm the police.

David
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 07:11 pm
@msolga,
I did a bit of Googling & it appears that it's not only infant mortality rates, but also life expectancy rates in the UK which are (not surprisingly) directly linked to the wealth or deprivation of particular communities.

Unfortunately it is the poorer communities who appear to have suffered the most from the recent government spending cuts to public services.

These are 2009 statistics :

Quote:
In 2006-08, average life expectancy at age 65 for the UK was 17.4 years for males, up 3.2 years from 1991-93. For females it rose by 2.1 years to 20 years.

Locally, Kensington and Chelsea recorded the highest average life expectancy at birth - 84.3 years for males and 88.9 years for females.

Glasgow City was the area which recorded the lowest average life expectancy at birth - 70.7 years for men and 77.2 years for women.

Professor Alan Maryon-Davis, president of the UK Faculty of Public Health, said: "It's good to see life expectancy increasing across the UK - and that men are steadily catching up.

"But the north/south divide remains and seems to be largely linked with deprivation.

"To close that gap we must keep improving the way our most disadvantaged communities live, learn, work and play - all of which profoundly affect health."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8317986.stm
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 07:26 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
My hair is grayer now. I'm actually not a rescue corgi

Intellectual honesty has a greater value then one who is in their youth and your gray hairs only show that you have a crown of wisdom as long as you are sincere in all of what you say.
It is OK to be wrong sometimes but to be dishonest only confuses us all about reality!
Thank you for your sincerity!

This seems to include many intellectual point of views!

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 07:30 pm
@msolga,
I somewhat blanch that you need to post all that re wealth and deprivation, it's so clear.

I do think (fool) that policy matters.
msolga

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 07:37 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm not sure exactly what you mean, osso.
Of course policy, especially government funding priorities & policies, matter.
They can & do make real differences to the lives (& the health) of people in the poorest communities.
The point is that the poorest communities have been harshly affected by the Tory government's spending cuts.

I was following up earlier posts on infant mortality rates in Glasgow, which was the community which also has the lowest life expectancy rates in the UK.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 07:41 pm
@ossobuco,
You seem to have a different accent than me so it is hard for me to understand your view points at times!

If you care you could try to use more detail in what you are saying but I am not sure that even that will work because the words that you may be describing may not be the words that others are having a hard time understanding!

Do you also find it hard to understand some of what I try and share?

To be honest I do not recall having a problem understanding you in the past.
I wonder if I just did not pay as close attention!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 07:52 pm
@msolga,
I didn't mean to knock you for that, it is just that I take your premise as given.

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 07:56 pm
@ossobuco,
This is where I am confused could you use more detail as I am slow to understand?

Quote:
I somewhat blanch ??? that you need to post all that re?? wealth and deprivation, it's so clear.

I do think (fool)?? that policy matters.

I do realize that theses may seem as stupid questions to you but for me they would give me a more complete understanding of what you are meaning!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 07:59 pm
@reasoning logic,
I've some experience with a family member and her mother trapped in one of the so called hell holes of LA. Mother a piece of work, but introduced cold to a crazy culture. I try to not go into that as it is irrelevant re others and re any argument.

I know I can be hard to understand.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 08:01 pm
@reasoning logic,
That meant that msolga was very obviously right.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 08:04 pm
@ossobuco,
It's OK, osso.
No worries.

You "get it" because you've actually read & considered what the British posters have had to say. And have taken the time to read the news reports.

And, of course, the locals are more "expert" on the subject than we are. Because they live there & are actually experiencing the aftermath of the riots.
But there are others here who choose to simply prefer to interpret what's occurred in Britain through the prism of their own experiences, biases or prejudices, with little real concern or understanding about what has occurred in a country which is not their own.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 08:24 pm
@msolga,
Well, yeah. So it goes, even within cities and among the normally sympathetic.

The woman I consulted for that day when the place next door burned, moved far north. To give her some creds, it was her leased place, and she both lived nearer to the raging, had a grown troubled son in the north, and an older husband suddenly no longer employed, not to do with any urban disturbance thing. But I gathered from comments the riots were the push.

I lived west of her in a place with a vociferous local council of many factions including ethnicity. I had no interest in moving, never considered it.

After divorce, something like eight years later, I wallowed about re surviving, how to, re money, and then went up and joined her as a business partner.