Rioting spreading through London & to other English cities.

contrex

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 12:23 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

What would be helpful, would be if you shut your ignorant mouth.

Seconded.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 01:00 pm
@Izzie,

I took a walk through our fair city of Manchester today, after I had a nice curry at Mallu's, and I have to report that it was teeming with vibrant life if suffering from the occasional raindrop here and there.
Some selected shop fronts were stove in and boarded up, but all were open for business.
Notable victims were Jessops Photographic, Dawson's Music, various phone shops and sports shops and Noel Gallagher's designer clothing shop. Can't understand that one myself.
All back to normal, and the Magistrates' Court going great guns.
Izzie

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 02:16 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Would it stop the rioting if there were free showings of Pygmalion? Henry Higgins teaching elocution (The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain.) might be helpful?

asinine twerp!
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 02:17 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

McTag wrote:

Daivid Cameron, the pink one,

A new nickname methinks.

on no no no no no - we Think PINK - that would be wholly inappropriate Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 02:21 pm
@McTag,
Checking in. That's good to read, McT.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 02:28 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

I took a walk through our fair city of Manchester today, after I had a nice curry at Mallu's, and I have to report that it was teeming with vibrant life if suffering from the occasional raindrop here and there.
Some selected shop fronts were stove in and boarded up, but all were open for business.
Notable victims were Jessops Photographic, Dawson's Music, various phone shops and sports shops and Noel Gallagher's designer clothing shop. Can't understand that one myself.
All back to normal, and the Magistrates' Court going great guns.

Yep, glad to hear it Taggers! I do believe we are all about getting things back to normality ('eh) as soon as possible.

Anyhoo, I can't get my head around this at all.

Quote:
Riots: Benefits e-petition hits crucial 100,000 mark

E-petitions have proven to be a popular innovation, with the website at times struggling to meet demand

An e-petition calling for rioters to lose their benefits has hit 100,000 signatures and become the first to be considered for a Commons debate.

It has dwarfed others on the government website, which has struggled to deal with the volume of people accessing it.

The petition has now been formally referred to a committee which will decide whether to hold a debate.

It comes as English councils say they will seek to evict social tenants found guilty of taking part in disorder.

The e-petitions website has been closed to address its technical problems and is due to re-open on Friday.

But the Cabinet Office, which runs it, has confirmed the e-petition submitted by Stephen Mains, saying "convicted London rioters should loose [sic] all benefits" has reached 100,000 signatures.

The threshold for the petition to be referred to the Commons backbench business committee, which can table debates, is 100,000.

Mr Mains's petition has attracted vast numbers of signatures in just a few days. Its nearest rival, a bid launched by Conservative MP Robert Halfon to cut the price of petrol, was well behind it with 24,000 signatures on Wednesday.

Mr Mains's petition argues: "No taxpayer should have to contribute to those who have destroyed property, stolen from their community and shown a disregard for the country that provides for them."

If the backbench committee agrees to table a Commons debate, there is no guarantee the law will be changed.

The committee's chairman, Labour MP Natascha Engel, quizzed Prime Minister David Cameron about whether action will be taken to respond to the petition.

'Raised expectations'

She told Mr Cameron: "One of the ways in which ordinary people are trying to get their voices heard is by going onto the government's new e-petitions website and signing a petition posted two days ago, asking for rioters to have their benefits withdrawn.

"How is the prime minister going to meet those raised expectations... that something will happen as a result of going onto a government sponsored website?"

Mr Cameron replied that the point of the e-petitions website, set up last week, was to "empower" people to make their voices heard on various topics.

The e-petition is now eligible for consideration for debate by MPs and in the meantime, the government will respond to those who have signed the e-petition”

Cabinet Office spokesman

"If it reaches a certain level of signatures it will be debated in this House whether we like it or not and I think that is an important way of empowering people."

He added: "I think there may be opportunities, possibly through the new criminal justice and sentencing legislation to make sure we are better at confiscating things from people when they commit crimes because we have got to look at all the ways we can of making sure our punishments are robust."

It comes as councils in Manchester, Nottingham and London say they will seek to evict social housing tenants who are convicted of violence locally and the government says it will consult on extending their powers, to allow them to punish those who travelled out of the area to take part.

A Cabinet Office spokesman said Mr Mains' e-petition had been formally referred to Ms Engel's committee, adding: "The e-petition is now eligible for consideration for debate by MPs and in the meantime, the government will respond to those who have signed the e-petition. It will remain on the site, and people will be able to continue adding their signatures.

"Under the procedures previously announced, it will be for the committee to decide whether an e-petition should be proposed for debate after the Commons returns from the summer recess."
Eviction proposal

Other popular e-petitions include the campaign to retain the ban on capital punishment, signed by 20,000, which began in response to a less popular campaign to bring it back.

The most popular of the petitions calling for the return of the death penalty has been signed by 11,000 people.

Asked about the e-petition, a spokesperson for the Department of Work and Pensions said that, under current arrangements, "any benefit recipient who is convicted of an offence and is imprisoned, will lose their benefit entitlement".

Mr Cameron, Mayor of London Boris Johnson and Deputy PM Nick Clegg have expressed sympathy with suggestions social tenants found to have been engaged in criminal activities should be evicted.

But Labour MP Kevin Barron warned evicting people from social housing in one area - only to see them rehoused in another "taking that unacceptable behaviour with them" would not "solve the problems".

Ministers have warned MPs not to "ignore" e-petitions although Leader of the House of Commons Sir George Young has suggested the threshold for signatures to prompt a debate may be raised if it is found to be too low.

Labour has said the petitions could lead to debates on "crazy ideas".

The system replaces the previous e-petitions pages on the Downing Street website, set up when Tony Blair was PM. The most popular of these, with more than 1.8 million people in support, opposed road pricing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-14474429

and
Quote:

Councils set to evict rioters

By Alistair Keely

Council tenants were warned today they could be evicted from their homes if they are found to be involved in rioting.

Council chiefs in Manchester, Wandsworth and Salford said anybody found to be involved in crimes carried out during the riots will not just face a criminal conviction - they may also find themselves losing their homes.

Councillor Paul Andrews, Manchester City Council's executive member for neighbourhood services, said: "If you are a tenant of any of our properties, and you or your children are found to be involved in the looting we will use whatever powers are available to us to make sure you are thrown out.

"Most people who live in our properties respect their neighbours and play by the rules. Those who do not, and who are found to be involved in this sickening criminal activity, could find their tenancies at risk."

The warning also came from Wandsworth Council in London.

Council leader Ravi Govindia warned that anyone who lives in a council-owned property who is convicted of involvement in the disorder could also face eviction proceedings.

He had instructed the council's housing department to look at ways of evicting council tenants involved in the disorder.

He added: "People who live in council homes should be under no illusions about the fate that awaits them if they are found to have been involved in Monday night's destruction and thuggery."

In Salford, John Merry, leader of the council, added: "Anyone who can do this to their own city is not welcome in Salford.

"We need to make sure these people understand their actions do have consequences, and the consequences for some of them could mean they lose their homes.

"This is not a decision we take lightly, but we really must take a stand. I would urge anyone who can identify any of the people responsible to work with us and the police to bring these criminals to justice."

Officers from the council and the council's housing provider, Salix Homes, are reviewing the CCTV images to see if they can help identify any of the offenders.

Salix Homes also plans to take legal action and potentially evict tenants found to have been involved in the disorder.

Council tenants involved in riots across Nottingham could also face eviction from their homes.

Nottingham City Council leader Jon Collins said parents had a responsibility to control the young people living in their homes.

He said: "If you or your children are involved, you are putting your family home at risk - don't let that happen."

Nottingham City homes chief executive Chris Langstaff added: "It is a breach of your tenancy agreement to commit acts of anti-social behaviour such as noise and disturbance.

"We are very clear that we will seek to evict anyone that has been involved in the violence over the past few days."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/councils-set-to-evict-rioters-2335878.html

So, the proposal for debate by e-petition is to remove the benefits for all those who are convicted (without a prison sentence) and then evict them from council houses/flats making them homeless...

aaaaaand this will not create more problems?????????????????????????????

Can someone explain this mentality to me - I seriously don't get it... Confused I can't even think if through that this is what councils are attempting to put through legally.

So, how is the punishment equal to people who are convicted and own their own homes?

Talk to me please? Listening. Who understands this line of thinking?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 02:35 pm
@Izzie,
Quote:
Who understands this line of thinking?
Any American. This is vengeance, it is not supposed to make sense....No matter what the problem the solution is HIT. HARDER!. Many commentators have pointed out that the UK is much more attuned to America than the Europe, this is an example of such.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 02:45 pm
@Izzie,
This line of thinking is called 'knee-jerk,' and it's something that Cameron used to criticise the previous government about.
McTag

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 02:59 pm
@izzythepush,

That's right. Galling, though, that many of the miscreants live in subsidised housing and draw state benefits. Their responsibilities to the wider society should be brought into focus for them. This could be a way.

Conceivably though, one "bad apple" could have several people thrown out of the house where he lives. That'd be unfair. Might concentrate a few minds though.....
Trouble is, many people think shoplifting is okay to get involved in. To them, it's a payback for being poor and downtrodden. The difference here, in many cases, is only one of scale. I leave the arson and the violence to one side for now. Most cases before the courts today were for looting.
And I've got the feeling that only the stupid ones got caught.
spendius

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 03:05 pm
@Izzie,
The e-petition idea was a joke. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously. It's too ridiculous for that.

It is noticeable that the expression "eligible for consideration for debate by MPs" is repeated. Is there a charge for signing in. Is everybody's psychological profile being gathered?

Like Yossarian said--"what's Shithead up to now?" as Lieutenant Scheisskopf pinned a notice up on the board in the messroom.
Izzie

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 03:16 pm
@McTag,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Who understands this line of thinking?
Any American. This is vengeance,

Sorry, I don't understand that.

izzythepush wrote:

This line of thinking is called 'knee-jerk,' and it's something that Cameron used to criticise the previous government about.

Absolutely flippin' knee jerk. I am getting just as antsy with the words coming out of the PM's et al mouths as I was a few days ago. I am so angry at our government tho, that I suppose I don't think straight. Accountability - yeah, right!!!!!!!!

I can't imagine how some our Police and Armed Forces feel when they aren't allowed to speak their minds when faced with conflict.

McTag wrote:

That's right. Galling, though, that many of the miscreants live in subsidised housing and draw state benefits. Their responsibilities to the wider society should be brought into focus for them. This could be a way.

Conceivably though, one "bad apple" could have several people thrown out of the house where he lives. That'd be unfair. Might concentrate a few minds though.....
Trouble is, many people think shoplifting is okay to get involved in. To them, it's a payback for being poor and downtrodden.

Yes, I understand that and am of the opinion that to explain is not to excuse.

I.just.don't.get.this.line.of.thinking

So all these looters... let's say for the moment 1500 of them - cut their benefits (yes, I can see that, make them payback by taking money out) but cutting it completely - what do the government think is going to happen. Then... evict them too...

Really, do y'all think they are going to be able to put this thru law?

I'm astonished. I guess I shouldn't be. Nothing should surprise me - but I really do not understand what they think is going to happen, or what these kids will do. I don't see that these people/kids are going to suddenly reform by having benefits cut and being homeless.

These kids will go and commit other crimes - mugging, more robberies, drugs etc etc etc and eventually end up imprisoned.

Gobsmacked to see the head of a council stand up saying they will do everything possible to evict these people. So, where are they going to live?

Question Time on tonight Razz Should be interesting <I am on the right day today Wink>
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 03:19 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

The e-petition idea was a joke. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously. It's too ridiculous for that.

It is noticeable that the expression "eligible for consideration for debate by MPs" is repeated. Is there a charge for signing in. Is everybody's psychological profile being gathered?

Like Yossarian said--"what's Shithead up to now?" as Lieutenant Scheisskopf pinned a notice up on the board in the messroom.

Evicting people is not a joke tho Spendi!

I am not quite as cynical as you Wink (yet) but, I am inclined to agree with you (tho you've not said it on this thread) about the media's role in all this. Gah!
spendius

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 05:07 pm
@Izzie,
The Judeo-Christian Liberal Atheist position has turned out to be more intolerant than it had been previously thought to be.

It seems it is now in favour of kangaroo courts, stiff sentences, and the suspension of human rights. I bet Gadaffi is killing himself laughing.
Izzie

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 05:27 pm
@Izzie,
Question Time - breif outline - worth a watch on iplayer when/if can or are interested (mebbe bored of this now)

*********************************************************************************

NO CABINET MINISTER agreed to go. There's a surprise a: Razz

Question Time Riot Special BBC1 Thursday 11th Aug 10.35pm
Unscheduled special going out live tonight on BBC1.

Guests are:
John Prescott(Ex boxer)
Brian Paddick(Ex top level copper)
John Sentamu(Archbishop of York)
David Davis(MP)
Camilia Batmanghelidjh(Charity worker and businesswoman).
plus another Scottish Chap - didn't get his name - but I thought he was quite good.

Using benefits as a penal system – some agreed. Some not.

David Davies – social housing is a privilege – if an 18year old is kicked out, are all the family then kicked out, little kids, parents? What happens then? Didn’t address any questions on why different punishments are for different ‘classes’. So, if you own your own home, have a mortgage etc – can the bank take away your mortage?? Not asked. This is aimed at those on welfare and social housing and not on those who are educated and being paraded in the media who have their own homes.

Agree with Brian Paddick – too simplistic re the benefits cut and evictions – this is a knee jerk response and tho has some merit in some aspects – it should not be made at this time. It needs far more thought and we shouldn’t make decisions made in the heat of the moment

GOOD! <phew>

The Archbishop of York – makes a lot of sense about our education system – he was fantastic! Would love to have a chat with him.

‘If you walk into a building where water is coming down the stairs, there is no use getting a mop, you need to turn it off at the tap.’ <not an exact quote> This is the same for this society - we need to turn off the tap of this self-destruction and then clear up the mess. Not keep mopping it up - it will keep flowing if we don't do something.

"Poverty does not lead inextricably to criminality" – TRUE - this does a great deal of injustice to all those who struggle to make ends-meet and do not step over the line of the law. This was a small minority. TRUE.

John Prescott was chewing a bumble bee. I don’t like him at all. He turned himself in knots and then got ar$ey. He’s very aggressive. Nasty man – not a shining example.

Camilia Batmanghelidjh - made some good points.

Media and politicians are packaging these riots up as pure criminality – when social injustice and the why’s should be being considered also… I’m inclined to agree with this and again – media is playing it’s not so pleasant role in the people they are parading around – future social worker, teaching asst, student needing money for his gap year to Africa…. Therefore, the media is saying these were educated folk (true) but parading them as examples of an even smaller minority of the minority who were looting etc. Small discussion on trust of the police - there is HUGE distrust in this ‘level’ of society

Arsonists and violence – everyone agrees this is a whole different ball game. Very much “united gang related”. Penalties will be much harsher.

Vigilantism was discussed – on what conditions is this acceptable. Mixed reviews. Yes and no. I get vigilantism – I’d stand in front of my doors to protect me and mine, call a friend, if there were no police around. Can’t imagine having to do that – cows may complain a bit – but… could get my kitties and dawgs to lick ‘em to death.

David Davies says that the courts are solely responsible for the sentencing. Of course, the magistrates are referring to Crown Court. They receive social reports and have many more details before sentencing is meted out. It feels like no-one wants to set the bar, so to speak, for what kind of sentence is appropriate.

Re police, more equipped, more flexible – has to come from the top and they should not be told to stand off. We must NOT have police cuts.

It was heartening to see the vast majority of people agreeing that the police were handcuffed by being given THE OFFICIAL ORDER to stand off – they were told NOT to use force until Wed (I think) – general concensus, in my opinion, police could not do right for doing wrong. JOB may be a vocation - but it is just a job and when you have a family and your own responsibilties - you do as you're told! It is very difficult to go against the orders they had when they were told to stand off -and if they had been more robust before given the oder, they would have felt the full force of the law on themselves. This, by the sounds of it, is going to change where the chain of command has to make more flexible decisions. Government and the Police and got to talk more.

Will the Government listen? Who knows!

A someone stated (ONLY ONE PERSON) and the rather colourful lady Camilla - there are some of the conspiracy theories about the fact the “rich neighbourhoods” were not sought out – argument against was that there is much for CCTV security in these areas so the organised crime did not direct the rioters to those areas. Their arguements were that the rioters were deliberately pushed towards to the less economic areas.

I dunno, I find this had to belive. But whaddoIknow.

Love David Dimbleby - he's gorgeous.

Our moral compasses are all spinning in some way right now - this is complicated.

Very interesting.

Ha! The movie on now is “One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Next!

They’re coming to take them away, haha, hehe, hoho!

I so need to get my story across to the HOC – I would love to stand up and do that – get them to listen to their lack of responsibility towards family values and mental health and their accountability within the education, health and social system – I may need to do that one day when I’m calmer/less emotional – some politicians should be wholly ashamed of themselves. Dispicable sitting there talking crahp. One day I will give them a piece of my mind, but yes, I realised, not much to lose Wink B&stards.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 05:28 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

The Judeo-Christian Liberal Atheist position has turned out to be more intolerant than it had been previously thought to be.

It seems it is now in favour of kangaroo courts, stiff sentences, and the suspension of human rights. I bet Gadaffi is killing himself laughing.

Delightful entertainment for many folk who do not like our country.
hingehead

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 06:03 pm
@Izzie,
Spendius via Izzie wrote:
Judeo-Christian Liberal Atheist position

I only see Spendi's posts when someone else quotes him, but that was a timely reminder of why I have him on ignore.

Judeo-Christian Atheists? FFS.
Izzie

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 06:13 pm
@hingehead,
Hey HH - hmmm....didn't understand that top bit, missed deleting it, but I do agree countries will be delighting/scoffing as us. Don't blame them really.

We will rebuild tho and our streets will become safe again.

We need to work on our social injustice...

((H))
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 06:17 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

The comparison of Mubarak and the British political elite when it comes to social media is interesting as well, given all of the criticism that came Mubarak's way from the British for shutting down social media and now the Brits now want to shut down social media that they think is used by evildoers.
hingehead

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 06:23 pm
@Izzie,
Don't know if it's a consolation - but no-one in Oz is scoffing.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 06:31 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

[now the Brits now want to shut down social media that they think is used by evildoers.

No, that's what Cameron is talking about doing.
0 Replies