Rioting spreading through London & to other English cities.

msolga

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 03:14 am
@McTag,
(I didn't know that, McTag.)

Respect, indeed.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 03:17 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

This government was founded on lies. None of the savage cuts that are taking place now were in any manifesto. The Liberals were even more deceptive than the Tories, signing pledges not to put up student fees, then doing the exact opposite when they got in. The policies of the ConDems are more extreme than the Thatch, but at least the Thatch was honest about what she was doing.

yep...
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 03:18 am
@msolga,
There will always be those who try to exploit ethnic differences. A load of drunken EDL supporters turned up on the streets of Tottenham on Tuesday night, claiming to be there to stop trouble. They just took up a lot of police time. There have been tensions between the Afro-Caribbean and Asian commmunities in the past, but I don't think that this will erupt into sectarian strife.
msolga

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 03:21 am
@izzythepush,
It's not just Britain, Izzy.
We've certainly had our share here. Sadly.
I really hope you're right.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 03:22 am
@izzythepush,
Yes.
I know it's not at all what the Tories claimed.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 03:24 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Respect to the grieving asian father who tried to keep a lid on this.
He deserves a medal, some recognition.

As I watched him talking to the cameras, he looks to me as tho he is in shock. He tried to help his son... I cannot imagine how awful this must have been for them all.

I'm so glad they have made the arrest re the above. If it was the man they arrested and he is convicted - lock.him.up.and.throw.away.the.key.

There has been worldwide outrage about the injured student being robbed after the video was made public - the chap is recovering in hospital having had surgery on his broken jaw.

I really hope they get those folk responsible and the ones who looted!

izzythepush

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 03:44 am
@Izzie,
I think it's also important to stress that this dignified man is a Moslem. A lot of Islamaphobes are quick to point out atrocities commited by Moslems, but ignore instances like this, when a man with every right to be angry, tries to calm the situation down. This man is far more representative of Moslems in general than idiots like Abu Hamza.
roger

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 04:09 am
@izzythepush,
Yes, that is impressive.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 04:19 am
@Walter Hinteler,

Quote:
Once again I regret that Lord Ellpus has left A2K

He's not really left- he just wears a hoodie.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 04:25 am
@Izzie,

Quote:
Yep, that's why I posted it. I can see the irony 'innit'! I'm seeing loads of blurbs right now from very ordinary every day folk - some of the things that folk say are just so clever.

Saw a blog:

"Bloody foreigners, coming over here, protecting our property and institutions!"
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 04:35 am
@McTag,

If anyone doesn't understand these cartoons, please ask. Wink

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/8/11/1313017374114/Martin-Rowson-11.08.2011-009.jpg
msolga

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 05:47 am
@McTag,
Yes please, McTag!

Let's see...
Snouts in the trough:
Fat cats & fat pigs feeding at one end of the trough.
Obviously taking way more than their share.

What I need help with is ...
I can't read/properly understand the "sponsor" message on one of leaner figures.
NOTW "school children" .... who are those 2?

Is that shriveled up creature at the other end of the trough, which David Cameron is pointing so disapprovingly at, one of society's great unwashed, who has no right to to the measly left-overs?

Ah well, I tried! Wink
Explain all, O wise one! Smile
izzythepush

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 06:02 am
@msolga,
The full message says, 'sponsor this role model, your logo here £25,000.' We have similar messages on roundabouts over here. The CH SC headline is more likely to be Chav Scum than schoolchildren. This is the article underneath the cartoon.
Quote:
It is essential for those in power in Britain that the riots now sweeping the country can have no cause beyond feral wickedness. This is nothing but "criminality, pure and simple", David Cameron declared after cutting short his holiday in Tuscany. The London mayor and fellow former Bullingdon Club member Boris Johnson, heckled by hostile Londoners in Clapham Junction, warned that rioters must stop hearing "economic and sociological justifications" (though who was offering them he never explained) for what they were doing.

We can't be ordered to police in a certain way

Now is not the time for police to use water cannon and baton rounds, writes Sir Hugh Orde, president of the Association of Chief Police Officers When his predecessor Ken Livingstone linked the riots to the impact of public spending cuts, it was almost as if he'd torched a building himself. The Daily Mail thundered that blaming cuts was "immoral and cynical", echoed by a string of armchair riot control enthusiasts. There was nothing to explain, they've insisted, and the only response should be plastic bullets, water cannon and troops on the streets.

We'll hear a lot more of that when parliament meets – and it's not hard to see why. If these riots have no social or political causes, then clearly no one in authority can be held responsible. What's more, with many people terrified by the mayhem and angry at the failure of the police to halt its spread, it offers the government a chance to get back on the front foot and regain its seriously damaged credibility as a force for social order.

But it's also a nonsensical position. If this week's eruption is an expression of pure criminality and has nothing to do with police harassment or youth unemployment or rampant inequality or deepening economic crisis, why is it happening now and not a decade ago? The criminal classes, as the Victorians branded those at the margins of society, are always with us, after all. And if it has no connection with Britain's savage social divide and ghettoes of deprivation, why did it kick off in Haringey and not Henley?

To accuse those who make those obvious links of being apologists or "making excuses" for attacks on firefighters or robbing small shopkeepers is equally fatuous. To refuse to recognise the causes of the unrest is to make it more likely to recur – and ministers themselves certainly won't be making that mistake behind closed doors if they care about their own political futures.

It was the same when riots erupted in London and Liverpool 30 years ago, also triggered by confrontation between the police and black community, when another Conservative government was driving through cuts during a recession. The people of Brixton and Toxteth were denounced as criminals and thugs, but within weeks Michael Heseltine was writing a private memo to the cabinet, beginning with "it took a riot", and setting out the urgent necessity to take action over urban deprivation.

This time, the multi-ethnic unrest has spread far further and faster. It's been less politicised and there's been far more looting, to the point where in many areas grabbing "free stuff" has been the main action. But there's no mystery as to where the upheaval came from. It was triggered by the police killing a young black man in a country where black people are 26 times more likely to be stopped and searched by police than their white counterparts. The riot that exploded in Tottenham in response at the weekend took place in an area with the highest unemployment in London, whose youth clubs have been closed to meet a 75% cut in its youth services budget.

It then erupted across what is now by some measures the most unequal city in the developed world, where the wealth of the richest 10% has risen to 273 times that of the poorest, drawing in young people who have had their educational maintenance allowance axed just as official youth unemployment has reached a record high and university places are being cut back under the weight of a tripling of tuition fees.

Now the unrest has gone nationwide. But it's not as if rioting was unexpected when the government embarked on its reckless programme to shrink the state. Last autumn the Police Superintendents' Association warned of the dangers of slashing police numbers at a time when they were likely to be needed to deal with "social tensions" or "widespread disorder". Less than a fortnight ago, Tottenham youths told the Guardian they expected a riot.

Politicians and media talking heads counter that none of that has anything to do with sociopathic teenagers smashing shop windows to walk off with plasma TVs and trainers. But where exactly did the rioters get the idea that there is no higher value than acquiring individual wealth, or that branded goods are the route to identity and self-respect?

While bankers have publicly looted the country's wealth and got away with it, it's not hard to see why those who are locked out of the gravy train might think they were entitled to help themselves to a mobile phone. Some of the rioters make the connection explicitly. "The politicians say that we loot and rob, they are the original gangsters," one told a reporter. Another explained to the BBC: "We're showing the rich people we can do what we want."

Most have no stake in a society which has shut them out or an economic model which has now run into the sand. It's already become clear that divided Britain is in no state to absorb the austerity now being administered because three decades of neoliberal capitalism have already shattered so many social bonds of work and community.

What we're now seeing across the cities of England is the reflection of a society run on greed – and a poisonous failure of politics and social solidarity. There is now a danger that rioting might feed into ethnic conflict. Meanwhile, the latest phase of the economic crisis lurching back and forth between the United States and Europe risks tipping austerity Britain into slump or prolonged stagnation. We're starting to see the devastating costs of refusing to change course.
msolga

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 06:06 am
Thank you, Izzy.
Much appreciated.

Here's one from an Oz newspaper:

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2011/08/10/1226112/657270-110811-nicholson.jpg
izzythepush

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 06:09 am
@msolga,
That says it all. I think the City types are much worse, they are screwing everyone over for their own selfish advantages.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 07:36 am
Isn't it amazing? People rioting and looting because they don't feel they have enough but as long as they are alive have a chance to change that and a man whose children are dead, killed for what reason?, and it is he who is the voice of reason.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 08:01 am
I found this article yesterday.
I truly hope that the British army is given shoot to kill orders against these punks and rioters.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2024393/UK-riots-2011-Birmingham-Hospital-attack-fear-prevents-parents-dying-baby.html

Quote:
The parents of a dying baby who needs an urgent transplant could not be at her bedside because of rioters.

Thugs had threatened to fire bomb Birmingham Children's Hospital and storm the wards on Monday night.

Brave staff formed a human shield around its doors while police ordered a total lockdown.

That prevented Chris and Julie Bryon-Edmond from staying overnight with their one-month-old daughter Lottie for the first time.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 08:13 am
@izzythepush,
I have agreed with Sir Orde, and continue to agree, but Mysteryman's post makes me wonder about elements within the rioters who may be philosophical anarchists of the violent mode, not just reactive folks acting out. I wonder who is/are behind that decision to storm the Birmingham hospital.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 08:46 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

I found this article yesterday.
I truly hope that the British army is given shoot to kill orders against these punks and rioters.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2024393/UK-riots-2011-Birmingham-Hospital-attack-fear-prevents-parents-dying-baby.html

The Daily Mail is a disgusting rag that supported the Nazis in the 1930s. It's not a lot different now.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 08:51 am
@ossobuco,
Those philosophical anarchists tend to target organisations that they believe are responsible for the recession, banks and tax avoiding firms like Boots, also instuments of the State like the police.

Mysteryman needs to be reminded that this country is a sovereign nation, not the 51st State. Our politicians make the decisions, thank you very much. We do not need troops shooting people on our streets.