hawkeye10

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 01:47 am
@wmwcjr,
Quote:
Nah, you don't really believe this. You just like upsetting people with your comments
Sure I do, for instance I am on record that in my opinion the Gypsies have earned the hate that they receive.....
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 01:56 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Today at church the pastor mentioned a study that found that 80% of the current situation comedies are filled with bumbling blathering white men who will go to any means to avoid confrontation. He included Everybody Likes Raymond. Perhaps men in our culture are feeling a bit embattled.
hawkeye10 wrote:
Look at the music industry as well, it is mostly the women and boys who sell,
we dont want to see or hear from men. If they are going to be on stage
they better have a smoking babe in front.
I used to like Perry Como and Dean Martin; good guys. Good voices.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 01:59 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Nah, you don't really believe this. You just like upsetting people with your comments
hawkeye10 wrote:
Sure I do, for instance I am on record that in my opinion the Gypsies
have earned the hate that they receive.....
By Gypping everyone thay possibly can.

David
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 02:51 am
This is pretty hilarious. Chicken Little makes a series of unsubstantiated allegations, the effect of which is to show that he himself fears and hates women. No surprises there, huh, sports fans?
wmwcjr

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 02:57 am
@hawkeye10,
Well, you may have a point there. I'm not going to be dogmatic. I've not had any personal interactions with Gypsies. If what I've heard is true, then that would be a tragic instance of a subculture being self-defeating. But the Jews? (And, no, I'm not Jewish.) I think there have been many more instances of social classes or minority groups who were unjustly treated and oppressed for no good reason at all. Regardless, I don't believe in hating people. I know what it's like to be on the receiving end.

As for prejudice? I do understand it. I've even had a prejudice of my own, but I've learned to view people as individuals because sometimes individuals defy stereotypes to an amazing extent. And sometimes someone who belongs to a group against whom you may be prejudiced could turn out to be a good friend.

By the way, thanks for not insulting me immediately or attacking me personally without provocation simply because we might disagree about something, which is the wont of a few of the most prolific members here. Oh, what am I saying? It's par for the course, wherever you go on the Internet. *sigh*
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 03:39 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
Sure I do, for instance I am on record that in my opinion the Gypsies have earned the hate that they receive.....
I think resentment
is a better characterization than "hate". ( caution, too )
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 04:31 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
how many men have you dated/lived with or married?

Dated quite a few, lived with or married? none Wink

Happy Birthday btw.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 04:44 am
@jcboy,
Admit it JC, you're a closet heterosexual right?

Rolling Eyes Wink
djjd62

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 04:49 am
@hawkeye10,
the only way that lady gaga or ke$ha would be smoking hot chicks is if they were set on fire

something i'm not completely adverse to (in a they ruin music thing, not a woman hating thing, you could use justine beaver as kindling)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 04:59 am
@djjd62,
Let the record indicate
that I oppose burning chicks.

David
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 05:06 am
@tsarstepan,
OH yeah lol, never even been with a woman Wink
snood

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 07:05 am
I agree that someone having some bad experiences at the hands of some bad women does not justify forever after hating all women. That would be just like racial prejedice in that an entire group is painted with a brush that only fits a sampling. My earlier post was simply to offer that as one possible reason (albeit irrational and illogical) that some people might hate women. This thread was started with a question inviting us to postulate.

But this thread has made me think...
There is a lot of thoughtful response here about why men might hate females. Would the reasons be similarly thoughtful if we examined why some women hate men? Of course we'd have to stipulate that it is something that happens just like we have the reverse.
Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 07:11 am
@snood,
I've already said, in my post comparing misogyny to racism, that the same is true if one reverses the genders. My remark about racism was the product of thinking about the subject over the course of several hours. It was not a responose to anyone's post. I acknowledge that i asked a question, and haven't disparaged anyone for the answers.

However, the answers seem to have been uniformly about why men would hate women. Apart from David's initial response, no one has explored why men might fear women (or women fear men).
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 07:28 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

This is pretty hilarious. Chicken Little makes a series of unsubstantiated allegations, the effect of which is to show that he himself fears and hates women. No surprises there, huh, sports fans?
Not surprised here!
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 09:09 am
@wmwcjr,
That was a dumb post I wrote. My judgment was impaired by lack of sleep.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 10:42 am
I think a serious part of the vitrol directed towards women and minorities comes from the reduction of white and male privledge. As we move from a society where whites and males enjoyed overwhelming privledge to one where they only enjoy some privledge there is a tangible reduction in white male superiority in many areas so instead of competing with 35% of the population for plum jobs, white men must now compete with 100% of the population. To those obsessed with this, any success by someone who is not a white male just illustrates the point that white males are no longer in charge. It doesn't really help to point out that white males enjoy many more positions of influence than their demographic would be expected to command because they used to have even more. Look at the comments earlier in the thread concerning music. If you want to look at popular music, let's look at the American Idol winners. That is about as popular as you get: stand on a stage, sing and let "America" vote, plus the odds are evened out in the beginning with the same number of men and women in the starting pool. Singing is just about merit right? You'd expect a pretty even mix of winners and if white males are so hated by society, they'd come out on the short end just due to bias by the voters. So how have white men done? 5 white men, 2 white women, 1 black man and 2 black women over ten seasons. While I don't follow the show, I believe several other white men from the show have also gone on to have successful careers.

Another part of this reaction seems to come from programs aimed at reducing institutional sexism and racism. Not many people argue against changing laws that enforced unequal behavior, but policies like affirmative action in hiring and allocating contracts that carve out a small number of positions for someone other than white males seem to be reverse discrimination to those who don't understand that all the unprotected positions will likely go to white males because of institutional bias. This has not been helped by businesses who hire in women and minorities but provide them no support network and set them up to fail, confirming to some that they didn't have what it takes to succeed in the first place. I am privledged to work with some of the pioneer women engineers in my company and they have lots of interesting stories to tell. Stories of demanding their bosses let them do the dirty, hard work with other engineers instead of giving them cushy office jobs. Stories of guidance counselors discouraging their interest in math and science and advising them to "marry an engineer instead." I've seen my wife receive treatment that I know would never be directed to a man with twenty five years of successful engineering experience. Someone whining that white males are losing their preeminent position in the world should just look around the industrial world where white men rule unchallenged. White men rule politics where they hold the vast majority of positions in all western democracies, business where the dominate the Fortune 500 CEO list, science, manufacturing, entertainment, etc, but you will never convince some people that sharing just a few of those positions represents fairness instead of hostility towards men.
FreeDuck

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 01:53 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

if i found the thread you're referring to, i'm guessing that the posters relationship with his wife has gone from bad to worse, posibly heading for or ending in divorce (other topics by this poster lead me to believe the marriage is not the best it could be), this could be a momentary blip, one of the seven stages of grief (anger) or he could just be a jerk

This, plus what eurocelticyankee says are the keys with respect to this particular poster, I think.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 02:16 pm
@engineer,
Eggs-acktly
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 02:24 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
I think a serious part of the vitrol directed towards women and minorities comes from the reduction of white and male privledge. As we move from a society where whites and males enjoyed overwhelming privledge to one where they only enjoy some privledge there is a tangible reduction in white male superiority in many areas so instead of competing with 35% of the population for plum jobs, white men must now compete with 100% of the population.
I dont see much hate directed at women or minorities but I do see a rising opinion that programs designed to level out the playing field on race have gone too far and now discriminate against whites. The same is true with the programs designed to advantage women but convincing people of this is current a tough slog. It is however the government towards which this anger is directed, not minorities, for instance the demand that our immigration laws be followed by the government is not hostility towards immigrants because those immigrants who are put out by this drive never had the right to be in America anyways....they have not lost anything if we inforce immigration law they simply have been prevented from stealing something that they never had a right to have.

American Idol?? Never mind all the error thrown in by the voting process, this is an old people show
http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=120146

The audience skew towards women and the uneducated
http://pewresearch.org/pubs/482/american-idol-audience

And while I cant find the race demographics I have no doubt but this is a white people show was well...this is not America, it is a tiny slice of America
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 02:29 pm
Engineer says it well.