CalamityJane

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 09:52 am
I cannot find such thread, which means I have this person on ignore - for good reasons. I can't be bothered with people like this who are so far off in their way of thinking - I don't even want to go down this road.

However, I do think some men are misogynous toward women in general because of one or two bad experiences they've had with women. Many a times they created that unfortunate experience themselves, but if you're weak and insecure you tend to put blame on others than yourself.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 10:00 am
@Setanta,
You've raised an interesting point here.
There is a definite trend in society to believe that women think and act in a manner decidedly different from men.
There was even a book to that effect "Women are from Venus, Men are from Mars" or something like that.
Our society groups the behaviors of both men and women into stereotypical patterns.
You are right that when that's done according to race, it's racism.
I think popular culture is largely responsible for continuing to promote sexism.
PUNKEY

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 10:32 am
Racism is done BECAUSE of race.

Sexism is done BECAUSE of the sex of the person.

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 11:14 am
Bless Gargamel. Such a perfect response. (I assume you're referring to Jeremiah's thread, here.)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 11:31 am
@wayne,
wayne wrote:
You've raised an interesting point here.
There is a definite trend in society to believe that women think and act in a manner decidedly different from men.
There was even a book to that effect "Women are from Venus, Men are from Mars" or something like that.
Our society groups the behaviors of both men and women into stereotypical patterns.
Do u deny their veracity ?
wayne

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 11:41 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I don't think the portrayal is correct.
The portrayal probably influences patterns of behavior.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 11:44 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
For someone to allege that having been abused by one's mother, or taken to the cleaners in a divorce settlement justifies hating women, is the intellectual and ethical equivalent of racism. Reverse the genders, and the same holds true. I am surprised at the number of people here who think hating women can be justified by some few bad experiences.
My experience in law school in the study of NY 's Domestic Relations Law was singularly memorable.
It was done by analysis of judicial decisions, based upon the the statute, as is common in law school classes.
I was quite taken aback by the diabolical, creatively clever sadism executed by each gender against the other,
shown in the different cases! I sincerely cannot judge that either gender was worse.

Setanta wrote:
My mother was the bitch from Hell--i dearly loved her twin sister, and their mother.
The evil of one did not make all women evil, and i could see that even as a child.
Sorry about your juvenile experience with your mother; mine was the opposite.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 11:50 am
@wayne,
wayne wrote:
I don't think the portrayal is correct.
The portrayal probably influences patterns of behavior.
Candor & simple observation, over the decades, moves me to disagree with u.
I suspect that u r young.

David
wayne

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 11:52 am
@OmSigDAVID,
So you think all women act the same?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 11:57 am
@wayne,
wayne wrote:
So you think all women act the same?
I will not go as far as 1OO%, but there r very definite n distinct predominant patterns.
Simple appreciation of time & space r discernably different; also courtesy.

David
wayne

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 12:02 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Is it not possible that most of the difference is in our minds?
There are many polite men and impolite women out there.
How are we to be sure the stereotypes don't create the differences we percieve?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 12:17 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:
Is it not possible that most of the difference is in our minds?
There are many polite men and impolite women out there.
How are we to be sure the stereotypes don't create the differences we percieve?
Simply observe your environment over a significant period of years;
e.g., females obstructing space, for unreasonable periods of time,
lost in their personal thawts, or chics taking forever in dressing n applying their make up,
while u r waiting for them outside, illegally parked, sweating out the police and calling her
at intervals of 15 or 20 minutes with assurances that she is almost ready.

Guys don 't do that.

David
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 12:28 pm
My take on the thread in question is that we are dealing with a guy who was fucked over on his kids by his ex wfe with the full support of the state. I have come accross guys that have suffered this injustice often enough to have compassion for them, and I am not willing to dump on them furthur.

In these cases the lashing out at women is a product of pain inflicted by women.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 12:33 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
My observation tells me that not all women do those things, and my fishing partner, a man, takes longer to get ready than any woman I've ever known.

Sure, women are quite different than men in many ways. Yet all women, and all men, are not the same.
Sexual stereotypes are no different than racial stereotypes.

I have known many women whom adhered to the stereotypes, yet when I got to know them, found they only did it because it was expected of them.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 12:42 pm
@wayne,
Quote:
Sexual stereotypes are no different than racial stereotypes.
IE is true more often than not..

Quote:
I have known many women whom adhered to the stereotypes, yet when I got to know them, found they only did it because it was expected of them.
Of course, much of what most of us do is driven by meeting expectation set by the collective, that is why you see the feminists going to so much work trying to change the expectations in relationship between the genders, why they are so sure that their violence towards the old ways will will to create new behavior patterns.
wayne

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 01:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
Nowadays the collective seems to be the entertainment industry.

Stereotypes tend toward caricatures, and are far more indicative of culture than race or sex.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 01:08 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Guys don 't do that.

how many men have you dated/lived with or married?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 01:10 pm
@wayne,
Quote:
Stereotypes tend toward caricatures
That is the teaching of the majority ideology, that stereotypes are not true because the ideology demands that they not be true. However, in my experience the stereotypes are a good basis for predicting the behavior of an individual. Furthermore I have seen several studies that claim that while individuals often claim the not believe stereotypes that their behavior in none the less strongly influenced by them, a reality that these individuals can be counted on to deny.
Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 01:20 pm
@sozobe,
I had not seen Garg's response, i'll have to go look it up.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 01:24 pm
Gargamel's a hoot, that's for sure. Clowns like Jeremiah or Chicken Little (a.k.a. "Hawkeye") are merely pathetic.
0 Replies