Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 03:55 am
In under 24 hours, i've seen comments here expressing what was to me an incredibly hateful attitude toward women. In particular, one member who is, i believe, fervently religious, started a thread the point of which was to denigrate women in a particularly vicious manner.

Why do you think this happens? I consider it immature, but is that the only explanation? Why do some men hate women? Do you think it arises from fear?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 28 • Views: 25,342 • Replies: 220

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 04:48 am
@Setanta,
I imagine that it is probably from different reasons
for different guys.

About 50 years ago, I found that loving a chic
produced fear, in an Approach-Avoidance Reaction.
The less u love them, the less u fear them; mileage may vary.

David
Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 04:52 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I can see the argument that the more you have at stake, the greater the tension.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 04:56 am
@Setanta,
Yes; that is part of the phenomenon.

David
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 04:56 am
I think that would fall in the fear category.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 04:59 am
@Setanta,
Yes; not hatred.

David
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 05:16 am
@Setanta,
hatred would probably stem from own perceived inability to deal with or communicate with women, social ineptness, or complex of inferiority.... either way, it is a reflection of inner conflict.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 05:21 am
I know this will sound naïve for a man my age, but i was shocked at the virulence of what that member apparently considered to be humorous.
dagmaraka

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 05:25 am
@Setanta,
that is usually a sign of insecurity and compensation for something.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 05:28 am
@Setanta,
if i found the thread you're referring to, i'm guessing that the posters relationship with his wife has gone from bad to worse, posibly heading for or ending in divorce (other topics by this poster lead me to believe the marriage is not the best it could be), this could be a momentary blip, one of the seven stages of grief (anger) or he could just be a jerk
roger

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 05:34 am
@Setanta,
You can tell a lot about someone by what they think is funny.
Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 05:40 am
@roger,
I hear that . . .
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 05:40 am
@Setanta,
Well if he's fervently religious, he's been brought up to believe that women are 2nd class citizens, at least that is the way of two of the main religions, Christianity and Islam.
Also there ARE an awful lot of men out there who have been treated unfairly in the courts, including friends of mine, when it comes to divorce, especially in the case of child access rights. This unsatisfactory situation has led to a lot of bitterness and hatred being felt towards women when in fact it's the law that is to blame in a lot of cases.
No excuse though.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 05:58 am
@Setanta,
On this board I can't say. I see it on a wide array of boards and it can confound or at least lightly puzzle me. Sometimes it seems a topic causes the frenzied attacks and other times it appears random. Note I say it appears random.

As I stated at start, I can't speak for others. My personal demons where I have had distrust and dislike towards women stems from my own upbringing and the baggage which went with it. (it's in a few of my posts the reasons) . I've had to work at getting past that this that (is it this or that?) and at least attempt to see people as people these days, and when possible in a genderless realm take them for what they say.

There are of course as you may have here or elsewhered seen women that react towards men in a hateful and/or fearful manner. We all have pasts babe and those pasts cause us to behave in a certain way, on good days we can nip the bad in the bud before it takes control.

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 07:29 am
Ah, ****.

It all goes back to the relationship he had with his mother.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 07:33 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

That's the last time I quip humerous on this forum.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 07:41 am
I love women, I’d never sleep with one but that’s a whole other issue.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 07:44 am
@roger,
Quote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Embarrassed
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 08:47 am
I think all the theories here probably have some merit. Just for the sake of discussion though, it should be mentioned that there is the possibility that some men hate women because of experiences they've had with hateful women.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 09:29 am
If Mr. X, who has brown skin, is robbed by Mr. Z, who also has brown skin and Mr. X calls him a theiving son of a bitch, that is understandable. However, if he is robbed by Mr. Y, who has pink skin, and his response is that all pink-skinned people are theiving sons of bitches, then he shows himself to be bigoted and prejudiced--he shows himself to be a racist.

For someone to allege that having been abused by one's mother, or taken to the cleaners in a divorce settlement justifies hating women, is the intellectual and ethical equivalent of racism. Reverse the genders, and the same holds true. I am surprised at the number of people here who think hating women can be justified by some few bad experiences.

My mother was the bitch from Hell--i dearly loved her twin sister, and their mother. The evil of one did not make all women evil, and i could see that even as a child.