failures art

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 11:22 pm
@Foofie,
SMH

Foofie wrote:
So, before someone takes issue with my comment, my point is that it is not just white folks that get "privileges" from "whiteness," but also Blacks seem to get privileges for having some European ancestors.

From a purely genetic standpoint, you're assuming a lot. You're assuming that lighter skin tones are the introduction of European genetics into African ones. Skin hue (like all human features) is a dynamic product of genes and the environment. You'll find lighter toned black people with zero European ancestry. I'd say the opposite is true, but there's a huge asterisk in that all humans genetics trace back to Africa ultimately. Perhaps better to describe the more fair skin tones of eastern Asia. These lighter tones are not due to the influence of genetic mutations/variations/combination from Europe. Additionally, the darkest skin tones you'll find on humans are in southern Asia, not Africa.

You'd have been better to have avoided genetics all together in your reply Foofie.

A
R
T
Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 01:08 am
@Thomas,
I suspect that in this case irony is wasted.
Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 01:15 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
Additionally, the darkest skin tones you'll find on humans are in southern Asia, not Africa.

A case in point:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_twzulFt36q8/S8LZ2ZZGsDI/AAAAAAAAAIU/LNrbGQ8QXdA/s1600/indian-man-texting-m.jpg

This gentleman's ancestors wee once described as Indo-Aryan, before the term Aryan fell into disrepute. This gentleman's ancestors are distinguishable from the "Indo-Europeans" only in that they went south, while the Indo-Europeans went west.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 01:38 am
@Setanta,
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6a/Unlabeled_Renatto_Luschan_Skin_color_map.svg
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 02:42 pm
@Thomas,
Thank you Thomas.

I now have to reassess my opinion of you, because, formally, I never would have thought that you would appreciate any approach I took, but it appears that you are more than willing and capable of putting ideology and partisanship aside.

Perhaps you really do deserve your A2K Liberal Emeritus status.

This is interesting. I may have to re-evaluate all of my assumptions.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 02:45 pm
@Setanta,
Oh wait...does this mean that Thomas was not sincere in his post?
Embarrassed

And I was just about to convert back to my former leftist ways.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 02:52 pm
@failures art,
Generally, I agree with your post, with the exception of the silly comment that the skin tones in Southern Asia are darker than those found in Africa.

We can trade pictures all day of people with jet black skin tones in Africa and India, but to what purpose?

You've been caught committing a sin you profess to abhor.
failures art

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 10:05 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm frantically searching Google for the article in which I was informed about the south Indian pigmentation. There is no doubt that on a whole, the Africans have darker skin as an average. The article I'm looking for discusses a localized groups in South India who have the darkest pigmentation overall. They do not significantly effect the average pigmentation of all of south Asia (forgive me for playing fast and loose with my wording).

I can't find the article, but here is the group: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarawa_people_%28Andaman_Islands%29

The myth used to be that they migrated directly from Africa. This was due to their extremely dark pigmentation. Genetic sampling however shows they migrated southward from Asia. Still not the link, but a little more on the history: http://mathildasanthropologyblog.wordpress.com/2008/04/08/the-jarawa-onge-and-sentinelese-of-the-andaman-islands/

They are almost extinct, and I believe the islands are technically Indian territory. That's probably why I thought it was India proper.

What sin are you babbling about? I scolded Foofie for employing genetics improperly. I at best employed geography loosely. You're too eager...

A
R
T
rick007

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 05:28 pm
@Setanta,
I think that your saying men hate women, implys that, women don't hate men? You need to look inside and ask why are you hurting and why have you not healed.

I think that men need respect and women need love.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 05:47 pm
@rick007,
Quote:
I think that men need respect
Well now, the feminist program of considering men first and foremost potential rapists and/or general abusers of women does not exactly give men what we need now does it....
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 07:22 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

SMH

Foofie wrote:
So, before someone takes issue with my comment, my point is that it is not just white folks that get "privileges" from "whiteness," but also Blacks seem to get privileges for having some European ancestors.

From a purely genetic standpoint, you're assuming a lot. You're assuming that lighter skin tones are the introduction of European genetics into African ones. Skin hue (like all human features) is a dynamic product of genes and the environment. You'll find lighter toned black people with zero European ancestry. I'd say the opposite is true, but there's a huge asterisk in that all humans genetics trace back to Africa ultimately. Perhaps better to describe the more fair skin tones of eastern Asia. These lighter tones are not due to the influence of genetic mutations/variations/combination from Europe. Additionally, the darkest skin tones you'll find on humans are in southern Asia, not Africa.

You'd have been better to have avoided genetics all together in your reply Foofie.

A
R
T

I worded my post incorrectly. It is not that someone actually has European ancestors, but the "assumption" that a person may have European ancestors. Yes, there are many lighter complected Blacks, based on having Native American ancestors.

There is just a preference by many around the world to be taken for someone having European ancestry, since Europe dominated the globe for so long.

There is also a cultural bias towards whiteness itself, I have been told, within the Asian culture. Whiteness in Asia is considered one of the criteria for "beauty."

I hope I have corrected myself sufficiently.

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 07:26 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

... I scolded Foofie for employing genetics improperly...

Did you wag your finger at me while "scolding" me?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 03:42 am
@rick007,
Your reading comprehension skills are pretty damned poor. This isn't about me, it's about the contempt for women expressed by someone else. Haing seen that expression of contempt, i asked the general question of why some men might hate or fear women.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 04:31 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Your reading comprehension skills are pretty damned poor.
This isn't about me, it's about the contempt for women expressed by someone else.
Haing seen that expression of contempt, i asked the general question
of why some men might hate or fear women.
Being cast in speculative language, the potentially correct anwers are INFINITE
regarding what "MIGHT" happen.

David
Thomas

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 05:53 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
That was pretty decent irony, Finn.
Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 06:00 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I consider it a pretty dull-witted assumption that the potential motivations of humans are infinite. In fact, the experience of my own life, and of history is that people are generally motivated by a handful of self-interested urges such as fear, elation, depression, hunger, sexual longing . . . the list isn't very long at all, and infinite is hilariously misplaced.
vikorr

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 07:21 pm
@Setanta,
perhaps it could be an infinite varations on each of those underlying themes...and this thread is really wierd.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 09:56 pm
@Setanta,
That does not matter: if u craft your question
in SPECULATIVE language, then u invite an infinite universe of possible answers.

That is inartful n of no value.

Y thay DO fear n hate is significant.
Y thay MIGHT do so is not.

David
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 03:20 am
Yes, this thread is weird, and so are men who hate or fear women. That there may, allegedly, be an infinite number of responses does not make it so that there are an infitinite number of responses to the question. In the first place, there's only about six billion people on this planet. Leaving aside how unlikely it is that each of those six billion would have unique responses to such a question, and even taking into consideration that each of those six billion might have more than one answer (which once again would be subject to repetition)--not even billions of responses qualify for a description of infinite.

Quite apart from that, i am entitled to take no notice of silly or irrelevant responses, and, past a certain point, to simply ignore repetition. The claim that there can be an infinite number of responses is absurd.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 04:14 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Yes, this thread is weird, and so are men who hate or fear women. That there may, allegedly, be an infinite number of responses does not make it so that there are an infitinite number of responses to the question.

In the first place, there's only about six billion people on this planet.
There ARE only about 6 billion.

Setanta wrote:
Leaving aside how unlikely it is that each of those six billion would have unique responses to such a question, and even taking into consideration that each of those six billion might have more than one answer (which once again would be subject to repetition)--not even billions of responses qualify for a description of infinite.
I accept your criticism; your point is well taken.
I stand corrected: NOT infinite. I shoud have been literal.
I amend my affirmation to represent that if u cast your question
in SPECULATIVE language (asking what "might" be),
u thereby invite vast numbers of answers of varying degrees of foolishness, qua what "might" be.
What counts is the FACT of what IS, not what might be.

( This is not to imply that there is anything rong with discussion of relative probabilities, calculating odds.)

Setanta wrote:
Quite apart from that, i am entitled to take no notice of silly or irrelevant responses, and, past a certain point, to simply ignore repetition. The claim that there can be an infinite number of responses is absurd.
Having accepted your wise counsel in this matter,
I repudiate my earlier assertion qua infinity and I acknowledge that it is indeed "absurd", as u point out.

David
0 Replies