• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 9,380 • Replies: 154

parados

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 09:37 am
@gungasnake,
meanwhile.... Just saying...

Japan's individual income tax rates including local taxes are among the highest tax rates in the world. The effective top marginal tax rate is around 50%.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 09:40 am
@gungasnake,
Well, they may not loot but it's still not a culture that has no corruption, terrorism, crime and corporate malfeasance.

It is ironic they obeyed the (working) traffic lights whilst all this chaos was going on.
gungasnake

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 09:47 am
You can be absolutely certain that until the damage is 99.9% repaired, that every element of Japanese society down to and including the fricking yakuza, will be working 24/7/365 together as a team to rebuild the place.
plainoldme

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 09:56 am
@gungasnake,
That is not necessarily a virtue to Western eyes.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 10:03 am
@plainoldme,
Agreed.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 10:06 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
Well, they may not loot but it's still not a culture that has no corruption, terrorism, crime and corporate malfeasance.

It is ironic they obeyed the (working) traffic lights whilst all this chaos was going on.
When we lost them in the big Blackout of the 1960s, I thawt it was kinda fun, driving in traffic.
It felt freer.

David
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 10:37 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

You can be absolutely certain that until the damage is 99.9% repaired, that every element of Japanese society down to and including the fricking yakuza, will be working 24/7/365 together as a team to rebuild the place.

Agreed.
gungasnake

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 12:17 pm
@H2O MAN,
First thing Rush mentioned on the air today was the lack of looting in Japan. Apparently no shortage of leftist American "journalists" over there looking for stories about looting and coming up empty. That would have to make me feel bad if I was the mayor of some place like new Orleans...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 12:21 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
First thing Rush mentioned on the air today was the lack of looting in Japan. Apparently no shortage of leftist American "journalists" over there looking for stories about looting and coming up empty. That would have to make me feel bad if I was the mayor of some place like new Orleans...
with the police in uniform looting on nationwide TV,
slowly, at leisure

Thay also robbed the citizens of their guns.
Thay belong in prison.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 12:46 pm
@gungasnake,
<sarcasm>
Of course Rush hates America...

Did you ever question that gunga? Japan is better than the US according to Rush and you lap it up. Maybe you and Rush should move there since you both hate the US so much.

</sarcasm>
RABEL222

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 01:34 pm
@parados,
Rush dosent hate all of america. Only the 90% who suck the 10% of the rich dry.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 03:51 pm
Compare with New Orleans...

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/edwest/100079703/why-is-there-no-looting-in-japan/

Quote:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/files/2011/03/Screen-shot-2011-03-14-at-10.17.43-448x288.png

Respect for property even in the middle of disaster (Photo: EPA)
The landscape of parts of Japan looks like the aftermath of World War Two; no industrialised country since then has suffered such a death toll. The one tiny, tiny consolation is the extent to which it shows how humanity can rally round in times of adversity, with heroic British rescue teams joining colleagues from the US and elsewhere to fly out.
And solidarity seems especially strong in Japan itself. Perhaps even more impressive than Japan’s technological power is its social strength, with supermarkets cutting prices and vending machine owners giving out free drinks as people work together to survive. Most noticeably of all, there has been no looting, and I’m not the only one curious about this.
This is quite unusual among human cultures, and it’s unlikely it would be the case in Britain. During the 2007 floods in the West Country abandoned cars were broken into and free packs of bottled water were stolen. There was looting in Chile after the earthquake last year – so much so that troops were sent in; in New Orleans, Hurricane Katrina saw looting on a shocking scale.
Why do some cultures react to disaster by reverting to everyone for himself, but others – especially the Japanese – display altruism even in adversity?

plainoldme

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 05:06 pm
@gungasnake,
Maybe there is no looting because there is no American white trash over there.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 05:08 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:

Why do some cultures react to disaster by reverting to everyone for himself, but others – especially the Japanese – display altruism even in adversity?

Easy answer - they have a culture where wealth and possessions are not placed at the highest pinnacle.

Unlike ours.

Cycloptichorn
MonaLeeza

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 05:20 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
It's also a culture that highly values family and community rather than self-interest.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 05:21 pm
@MonaLeeza,
MonaLeeza wrote:

It's also a culture that highly values family and community rather than self-interest.

The funny thing is, these values are the exact opposite of what the right-wing in America pushes - and Gunga is a key member of that crazy group.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 06:23 pm
Japan has one of the strictest gun control laws in the world.

Quote:
No-one shall possess a fire-arm or fire-arms or a sword or swords

They also have socialized health care, and no Tea Party people running around criticizing the government.

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 06:33 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Easy answer - they have a culture where wealth and possessions are not placed at the highest pinnacle.

There's actually an easier answer than that i.e. that it must be the case that with vanishingly few exceptions, the Japanese people actually give a **** (unlike the half of our own electorate which voted to allow George Soros to put Bork Obunga in the white house...)

I mean, granted I'd have problems dealing with Japanese society on a daily basis, but nowhere near as many problems as I would living in some God-forsaken demoKKKrat hellhole like Baltimore or Chicago or New Orleans.
parados

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 06:58 pm
@gungasnake,
So, you would love a place where people pay high taxes, can't own guns, and get free health care from the government