No Looting in Japan

gungasnake

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 06:24 am
@TuringEquivalent,
Quote:
Still, you are ******* pathetic. Human life is loss, and people care about nothing at all.

You'd have to be more specific. There isn't much most people here could do to help the situation in Japan other than donate to the Red Cross and put out the word for others to do likewise. The original point of this thread was the contrast between the conduct the world saw in and around New Orleans at the time of Katrina, and what we're seeing in this much worse situation and I believe that IS a valid discussion topic. Again I see reason to believe that what we saw with Katrina is related to the political climate in and around New Orleans.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 08:26 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:
10, 000 people are ******* dead, and this is only thing worth posting?
That is an oxymoronic contradiction in terms. If thay r dead, then thay cannot be *******;
(unless u r complaining about 10,000 necrophiliacs).
gungasnake

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 08:32 am
Then again there's always Bork Obunga's approach to helping those in need...

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/6838/tsunamidamagecopy.jpg

Quote:
"Mind if I play through?".....

spendius

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 09:27 am
@gungasnake,
Yes gunga--but as I pointed out in my little essay about the encouragement of the avidity of the desire for more goods and services with which to dress up a sense of self-esteem, what happened in NO is a mere effect as is what happened in Japan. In Japan, I gather, the sense of self-esteem is more collectivist whereas we are more individualistic. Both components operating in each place but with a different emphasis.

And also I pointed out that what we see is mediated anyway.

One way of expressing a collectivist need is the acceptance of having investments made with low overheads because they are in dangerous territory. My house might be knocked over by a tsunami but it wouldn't go floating down the road as a garden shed would. So wages are low. Housing is cheap. A bet. Now lost. I gather from a Nissan spokesman that a large number of components for the car assembly plants were made in the region of the disaster. So what have you got? Little in the way of a vociferous middle-class to protest a nuclear plant being located there.

Of the two the looters of NO look to be less dangerous. In fact they came in handy as they provided the opportunity for millions of people to declare what law abiding citizens they are by expressing their indignation and outrage.

But it is pointless discussing effects. It's like continually complaining about water dripping onto your keyboard and forgetting about the loose slate on the roof.

Bob was right about it but it made him gulp a little when he saw the implication of him being so. It surprised me when I discovered that crime might have positive functions.

TV items about how awful it is to steal cars and race them round the roads at 13, 14 and 15 always show them doing it to inflame the other kids watching. Once they had a kid demonstrating how easy it is to start a car without a key.
If they can encourage it, and the ads show how manly it is driving cars fast, then they get more dramatic stories and can wheel their "experts" on to the show (£100 plus hospitality) to say how really, really awful it is for ever and ever on a rising curve. And that is the real news.

Unless the cause is addressed you've got it forever. Some go so far as to accuse Media of goading the rebels in Libya to further their profits and some careers. Even Katie Couric had to get to Tahiri Square. Briefly. We think she did at least. Competitive 24 hour news wasn't under consideration when the Constitution was written. Speech is a strange word these days. It means a lot more than it did in those primitive days when the population was 1% of what it is now and equipt with not much besides gardening tools.

One might say that the Japanese have looted a number of markets around the world by lowering overheads by what is now shown to be unacceptable methods.

And most of what the NO looters looted was a goner anyway from a loss adjuster's point of view.
gungasnake

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 06:32 pm
@spendius,
The good news in the picture for the world more or less.....

One is that we have vastly better reactors waiting to be built, thorium fueled, vastly less expensive and more efficient and vastly less dangerous than the 40-year-old designs we've been talking about.

Another is that the three major signals of recent cosmic violence i.e. short period comets, volcanoes, and earthquakes, have been damping exponentially since Roman times and we may never see another 9-point quake again.

On top of all of that, we've lived into a magical technical/technological age. IF we can resolve a number of political problems, then we are looking at a very bright future.

The biggest threat to the human race and the entire Earth biosphere at this point in time is the thing called genetic entropy, i.e. all of the mutations which evolutionites believe have produced our biosphere via blind chance. In real life they will destroy all complex life forms on the planet in a few thousand or a few tens of thousands of years. We have to fix that problem ourselves and we should be able to shortly, God no longer fixes problems like that for us.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 08:04 pm
GO AWAY AND ADVERTISE OVER THE PROPER CHANNELS
0 Replies

TuringEquivalent

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 08:55 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:
10, 000 people are ******* dead, and this is only thing worth posting?
That is an oxymoronic contradiction in terms. If thay r dead, then thay cannot be *******;
(unless u r complaining about 10,000 necrophiliacs).

What about "You ******* moron"? It is obviously consistent, and it is true. It is both true, and valid, so it is also sound.
TuringEquivalent

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 09:50 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Quote:
Still, you are ******* pathetic. Human life is loss, and people care about nothing at all.

You'd have to be more specific. There isn't much most people here could do to help the situation in Japan other than donate to the Red Cross and put out the word for others to do likewise. The original point of this thread was the contrast between the conduct the world saw in and around New Orleans at the time of Katrina, and what we're seeing in this much worse situation and I believe that IS a valid discussion topic. Again I see reason to believe that what we saw with Katrina is related to the political climate in and around New Orleans.

By noting the difference in conduct after the disaster, you polarized people to unimportant differences( due either to genetics, or culture). These differences are not important when it comes to the loss of human lives.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 01:06 am
I think all of you have totally missed the point . There is no looting because the Japanese have one of the most racially unified countries .

You can pretend to not be racist when pointing out someone by saying things like the man in the blue shirt when what you could say is the black/white man over there (interestingly people still use colour though) but it is only pretense .

Racism is in all of us to varying degrees and it wont go away because of PC bullies . Looting is based on not identifying with the victim . What would happen to your genetic survival if you mated with another race ? We choose for a mate someone who looks like us . We dont like people who look different . Ever seen a crowd of Japanese ?
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 02:25 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
I think all of you have totally missed the point . There is no looting because the Japanese have one of the most racially unified countries .

Like most who look at it only from outside you are pointing at a symptom too. They are one of the most racially unified countries due to the culture of conformity.

Quote:
You can pretend to not be racist when pointing out someone by saying things like the man in the blue shirt when what you could say is the black/white man over there (interestingly people still use colour though) but it is only pretense .

Racism is in all of us to varying degrees and it wont go away because of PC bullies . Looting is based on not identifying with the victim . What would happen to your genetic survival if you mated with another race ? We choose for a mate someone who looks like us . We dont like people who look different . Ever seen a crowd of Japanese ?

You don't make a very coherent argument, and it isn't really appearance as the primary factor*, but you happen to be right. Less than a century ago Japanese turned on Koreans after an earthquake and massacred thousands of them.

* for example, when the Japanese turned on the Koreans they used the shibboleth of pronunciation differences because they could often not visually distinguish them satisfactorily.
Ionus

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 02:38 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
They are one of the most racially unified countries due to the culture of conformity.
No, they are racially unified because of a racist immigration policy . You can still buy a Golliwog . Koreans who have lived there for hundreds of years are still thought of as scum .

Quote:
You don't make a very coherent argument, and it isn't really appearance as the primary factor*
* for example, when the Japanese turned on the Koreans they used the shibboleth of pronunciation differences because they could often not visually distinguish them satisfactorily.
Appearance is the primary factor in the New World . In Japan, they all have brown eyes, black hair and are even all the same height . Walk down a street anywhere in the New World . Walk down a street in Japan . Compare .

Anywhere in Asia an African/Asian cross will have a very hard life ahead of them . A European/Asian cross is highly sort after in some areas but not in Japan .
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 04:25 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
No, they are racially unified because of a racist immigration policy . You can still buy a Golliwog . Koreans who have lived there for hundreds of years are still thought of as scum .

That doesn't make sense, racism isn't the product of the policies, it works the other way.

Quote:
Appearance is the primary factor in the New World . In Japan, they all have brown eyes, black hair and are even all the same height . Walk down a street anywhere in the New World . Walk down a street in Japan . Compare .

I've lived in Japan many years and walked the streets of dozens of its cities. I currently live in the "New World" and have walked the streets of dozens of its cities in many of its countries. Having already made such comparisons I continue to disagree with your simplistic appearance theory here.
Ionus

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 07:29 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
That doesn't make sense, racism isn't the product of the policies, it works the other way.
Of course it makes sense and pleading a special case because you lack understanding is getting you nowhere . Where did I say what you are attacking ? If people arent exposed to others than they imagine all sorts of things . It is a racist immigration policy that keeps them separate and allows them to build a society where they identify with their neighbour . That policy is implemented by politicians . No one votes to be racist . So why did the federal gov step into the racial divide in the southern states and force integration ? Isnt that a policy ? Didnt it go a long way to stopping racism ? But you say the reciprocal isnt true ?

Mixing people together is a bad idea . All this rubbish about ethnic cleansing is no more than a result of a failed immigration policy . An example is Rwanda . The percentage of Tutsi is about the same minority of Hutu in Burundi . All that was required was for them to swap . Then you would have had a nation of Hutu in Rwanda and a nation of Tutsi in Burundi . But no, that cant be done . We must massacre a million people so lefties can say they dont support ethnic cleansing . Pakistan and India avoided millions of more deaths by getting people to separate by religion and ethnic nationality . Most of the worlds hot spots occur from NOT separating people .

Quote:
I continue to disagree with your simplistic appearance theory here.
Why do you eat ?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 07:52 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Mixing people together is a bad idea .

Your ancestral roots are "British", Ionus?
gungasnake

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 07:57 am
@Ionus,
Quote:

This has nothing to do with race. I'll say it again, the one variable which correlates most perfectly with every sort of urban pathology in America, INCLUDING people acting like a bunch of animals the first time anything resembling a real crisis turns up, is degree of DemoKKKrat infestation. In a computer program that would have a standardized name like:

degreeDemokkkratInfestation

In other words, it is precisely those places which are still most strongly dominated by old-style demoKKKrat machine politics where you see all of the problems.

You could take a couple of million Japanese, Chinese, Russians, or anybody else and put them into that same situation for four generations, and they'd all act the same way.
gungasnake

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 08:04 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
No, they are racially unified because of a racist immigration policy .

Racists they may be; but they have just given the world an example of grace, dignity, and gallantry under extreme conditions which is a wondrous contrast to the behavior the whole world got to watch in New Orleans six years ago.

Right now you've got people trying to get those reactors under control who are almost certainly all going to die for their efforts, and they don't even care:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/asia/la-fgw-japan-quake-fukushima-50,0,690133.story
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 08:36 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Then again there's always Bork Obunga's approach to helping those in need...

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/6838/tsunamidamagecopy.jpg

Quote:
"Mind if I play through?".....

Direct hit!
plainoldme

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 08:41 am
@Robert Gentel,
YEs, the Japanese have a culture of conformity but aren't the Aine people of Hokkaido, the northernmost island of Japan, considered outsiders who are not of the same ethnicity?

Certainly, Japanese culture, as it was depicted in my fifth-grade world geography class, was more conformist and patriarchal, but that was half a century ago.

I suspect that the Japanese are no more immune to Americanization than other peoples are.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 08:42 am
@Robert Gentel,
I think Ionus' theory is simplistic as well.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 08:43 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
Of course it makes sense and pleading a special case because you lack understanding is getting you nowhere

Robert said he lived in Japan and you have the unmitigated gall to say he lacks understanding? You certainly do not know when to quit.