I need help with a lie.

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 03:23 pm
Okay, so I have a deal with a friend of mine that if he ever needs a place to stay in NYC, he can stay with me. He's from Florida, and he looks for work in NYC from time to time since he's unemployed right now. The problem with this deal is that when he gets an interview, it's usually real short notice, and lately it seems that whenever he needs a place to stay, it's at the most inconvenient time for me.

So of course now that I'm on vacation for Christmas and I was REALLY looking forward to not doing anything and just relaxing by myself once I get back from visiting my family in Rochester, he's got another goddammed interview. He sent me the itinerary, and of course the days he has scheduled to be in NYC perfectly coincide with all that free time that I was looking forward to.

So I lied. I knew it would probably blow up in my face, but I did it anyway. Stupid. I e-mailed him back, saying said that I wasn't going to be back in NYC until "late next week" since he told me he was going to be here on Monday, the 27th.

He responded that he still has the key from his last visit, and couldn't he just stay in the apartment while I'm gone for a couple days. A reasonable request. But since I lied and said I won't be there, I have to figure out how to cover that lie.

So I responded by telling him that another friend of mine is staying at my apartment, watching my cat, who has been sick lately, and because he's very good with my cat and for years he's been doing me the favor of watching the cat when I go away, I don't want to inconvenience him by having him invade his space (this is all mostly true, except that he won't be there by the time my friend with the interview gets into the city. The friend who needs the place has a couple other people that live near the city (one in Brooklyn and one in New Jersey) that he can stay with, so I asked him to please try to make arrangements with them so I don't have to put my other friend out.

So he responds by saying that yes, he can stay with his friend in Jersey for a few nights, but would it be okay for him to sleep over at my apartment just for Monday so that he won't have to travel all the way from New Jersey for his interview on Tuesday morning, just so he can have peace of mind that he won't be late for the interview.

As you can see, I have a problem now. I need another lie to fix this. I guess I could call him and be like, "Oh, wait, I was just looking at my return ticket and I thought it said the 29th, but it actually says I'm returning on the 27th, so I WILL be there when you get to NYC!"

But if I do that, I am then probably stuck with him staying with me for the whole ******* time that I'm off work, which, I swear, will make me flip the **** out. Just thinking about having to go back to work without the rest and relaxation that I am so in need of is pissing me off right now. I NEED my time to myself. He screwed up my last goddammed vacation time, and this is the beginning of a whole new year at work and I don't want to go in there all aggravated because I had to play host all week...AGAIN.

So I'd like to see if anyone here can help me come up with another lie that would fix this whole mess. If not, I will probably have to kill my friend. Help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 31 • Views: 9,162 • Replies: 113

kickycan

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 03:24 pm
Wow, that's a pretty long post. Sorry. Hope it's clear enough to understand.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 03:26 pm
@kickycan,
Bugger.

I can't thinkl of anything yet, but I am PMing you a url for a funny (but very risque) safe sex video to try to cheer you up,
dyslexia

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 03:29 pm
you could tell him you died last week and the apartment needs to be fumigated for at least 30 days, also the apartment is now a crime scene.
kickycan

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 03:31 pm
@dlowan,
Aw, thanks, bunny! You're such a sweetheart! I am actually on my way out to finish my Christmas shopping now, but I'll check out that link when I get back.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 03:31 pm
@dyslexia,
Laughing Laughing
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 03:41 pm
I misread. Thought you meant 'with a lay.'
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 03:45 pm
It could be worse: you could run into him and the other friend at your favorite dive bar while you are "out of town"...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 03:45 pm
@kickycan,
How about being honest? Sort of. Tell him the lie about returning earlier than you thought but then be honest about the need for down time. If you can bear it, let him stay on Monday for his interview on Tuesday but that's it. You need your space. It's that simple. Is this a friend you might be devastated to lose if it should come to that?
dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 03:49 pm
@eoe,
That's what I was trying to think of but couldn't.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 03:52 pm
@eoe,
I had actually typed that (similar), erased it, and typed what I said instead, while I've been mulling re the Monday, or not the Monday.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 03:54 pm
@kickycan,
Change the lock and say you are behind in rent. Put a fake notice.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 04:19 pm
You could tell him you have a new girlfriend, she likes to walk around nude and is uncomfortable with strangers in her space.
hamburgboy

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 04:27 pm
@Ceili,
Quote:
You could tell him you have a new girlfriend, she likes to walk around nude and is uncomfortable with strangers in her space.

so she is a little uncomfortable , big deal , but the friend will be VERY happy -
i assume !

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 04:29 pm
@kickycan,
Send yourself a letter with the fake landlord letterhead to demand rent and that you are locked out. Notice card on door "Locked out for not paying rent".
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 04:30 pm
Kicky could say he's uncomfortable sharing then....
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 04:35 pm
Wow, kicky... it just escalates, doesn't it? Personally, I have the same problem saying No, but am getting better at it every day. So... I would say something like your boss has asked you to work over the holidays, you've told your friend not to bother coming, but since your holiday is now cancelled, you are going to be stressed and don't need the extra company. That would explain your presence, the absence of your friend, and why you don't want company. How to explain your not so ill cat, though, should you decide to let him stay the one night?

Edit: Also, I don't know why we always feel the need to explain ourselves. You could have just said, "No, sorry, dude... not a good time for me."
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 04:38 pm
Say
I asked him ( friend who is supposedly babysitting cat) And he said he would not be ok with that. I dont know why. Dude, you know I wouldnt care, but since he is doing me a favor, I really feel obligated to honor his thought.
Im sorry man
This one time out of all, it isnt going to work. Had I have known earlier......
kickycan

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 05:43 pm
@shewolfnm,
Hmmm...some good ideas here.

I can't tell him that my other friend (the one who is watching the cat) isn't okay with him staying. My visitor knows my catsitting friend and he might run into him sometime. My catsitting friend won't lie, either, so I really can't involve him in this.

He knows me too well for the girlfriend lie. He already knows that, as of last week, I don't have a new girlfriend.

Mame, I have to compliment you on that excellent lie you provided. If I decide to keep lying to cover up the first lies, then that lie could be the one.

I can't decide between doing what eoe said, or if I should just keep lying. Hmmm...if I use that lie about work though, I know I'm going to talk to him at least a couple times that week. I don't know if I am a good enough liar to keep up the facade all week when I see or talk to him.

Or I could still go with, "Oh crap, I was reading my return trip ticket wrong! What a dope I am! I thought it said the 29th! But I will be home on the 27th, so you can stay with me!" And, since my last e-mail, he's sent me another response and told me that his other friend already said yes to him staying there for most of the time. The problem is that he still really wants to stay at my place on the day before and the day of his interview, so he doesn't have to travel all the way from Jersey to get there, so once I tell him I'm going to be there, I won't have any good reason for him not to stay with me the whole time. I guess I'd have to just be honest at that point and tell him that I want my time alone before the new year and that since he already made arrangements with the other guy, could he still do that for the rest of his trip.

I do agree that I should have just told him the truth right from the get-go. Stupid.

Thanks for all the good ideas, everyone.

Still mulling, mulling...
Izzie

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 06:05 pm
@kickycan,
Why don't you just say you're other mate can't catsit so you will having to be coming back early from your trip, therefore, no probs for staying on the Monday night; will be good to see him, but that you're glad he has got acccommodation sorted for the other nights because you need some quiet time after Christmas. Thank you for coming. Thank you for going. Man hug. Done.

No lies then.