I need help with a lie.

ehBeth

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 06:15 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

Hmmm...some good ideas here.

I can't tell him that my other friend (the one who is watching the cat) isn't okay with him staying. My visitor knows my catsitting friend and he might run into him sometime. My catsitting friend won't lie, either, so I really can't involve him in this.

aren't you already going to get busted through this connection?

Ragman

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 06:22 pm
Tell him you have run fresh out of lies and ask him if he could think up one for you that might work. After all, wouldn't he know best what'd work?

Seriously...that is a real dilemma. It reminds me to always tell the truth with friends - even if it hurts.
kickycan

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 06:46 pm
@ehBeth,
Probably not, because although they know each other, they aren't that close that they talk or keep up with each other. They just see each other when I'm around, for the most part. Unless you've noticed something here that I haven't.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 06:47 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Tell him you have run fresh out of lies and ask him if he could think up one for you that might work. After all, wouldn't he know best what'd work?

Seriously...that is a real dilemma. It reminds me to always tell the truth with friends - even if it hurts.

Yes, I agree. Lying is bad. Never do it. Now let me see if I can come up with another good bullshit story to fix all this...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 06:50 pm
@Izzie,
Izzie wrote:

Why don't you just say you're other mate can't catsit so you will having to be coming back early from your trip, therefore, no probs for staying on the Monday night; will be good to see him, but that you're glad he has got acccommodation sorted for the other nights because you need some quiet time after Christmas. Thank you for coming. Thank you for going. Man hug. Done.

No lies then.

Not bad. This might be the way to go. The only problem is that I don't want to bring my cat-sitting friend into this if I can help it. Hmmm...
boomerang

If you feel that you have to lie your way out of it try this:

Friend calls to see how you guys can arrange things.

You: <HUGE sigh> Okay. Alright. Look, I'll change my ticket <sigh>. I'll come back early so you can stay here......

Him: No way! I don't want you to have to do that. I'll stay with the friend in Jersey.

Or if he says "Wow. Great. I'll see you then." you can be seriously pissy when he gets there so he will want to leave quickly.
ossobuco

I'm thinking about your just owning up, that you didn't want to hurt his feelings but you really want the place to yourself or you will go berserk. Nothin' like the truth. How horrendous is it to travel from New Jersey, or Brooklyn, anyway?

Of course, he'd probably be pissed off, but you'd have been straight and he might even get over it.

Izzie

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 06:54 pm
@kickycan,
Yeah, but he doesn't know that you had actually forgotten to check the dates with the cat sitting friend which is why you had now have to come back early.

I think you may tie yourself up in knots if you try and find another story... then you'll have the guilts when he turns up - trying to remember the right story and getting yourself confuddled. Go simplest solution so you don't have to to cover tracks and just be up front with the guy.

Change of plan. Coming home early. Stay one night... Need your space the other nights to chillax on own.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 06:55 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

If you feel that you have to lie your way out of it try this:

Friend calls to see how you guys can arrange things.

You: <HUGE sigh> Okay. Alright. Look, I'll change my ticket <sigh>. I'll come back early so you can stay here......

Him: No way! I don't want you to have to do that. I'll stay with the friend in Jersey.

Or if he says "Wow. Great. I'll see you then." you can be seriously pissy when he gets there so he will want to leave quickly.

I think he would get suspicious if I told him I'm going to change my whole Christmas trip to accommodate him. He knows that that would be a highly improbable and unlikely thing for me to do.

Thank you though. Good thought.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 06:57 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm starting to think this is the best way to deal with it. Just own up to the lie, but make it sound like I only lied to protect him or so that he wouldn't be hurt.

Hmm.
shewolfnm

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 07:06 pm
@kickycan,
Thai hookers

hoards of them

are sleeping on your couch. No room for dude!
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 07:29 pm
Tell him he's a sponge and you never liked him anyway.
But be tactful about it.
farmerman

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 07:57 pm
@George,
I think you were telling us about your friend that is staying with you now, is in the mob and is a young soldier presently earning his bones.

Your out of town friend needs to be told so he doesnt keep getting so close to this kind of life. SO Im sure he doesnt want to know the circumstances that involved YOU befriending a mob guy.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 09:12 pm
Keep silent for now, and on Saturday you email him that you have got the flu, probably swine flu, and you are mostly in bed recuperating. Couldn't go to Rochester either, you just want to stay home and take care of yourself. Tell him that you might feel better by Monday, but you're not really up to having company as you are still to weak to deal with anything but yourself. It's a curse, such a darn curse, but hey that's how it is, right? Then you sign off and that's that!
Krumple

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 09:33 pm
@kickycan,
Um why all the run around? Why not just say that you don't want him to stay because you need time to yourself for those days and you are sorry but maybe can make up for it to him some how in the future. If he is truly a friend, he will understand, but if he bitches and complains or moans about it and never talks to you again then what's the big deal? Sounds like you wouldn't mind that happening anyways.

This is what I hate about people. Friends can never tell friends the honest truth, they always have to lie to each other, yet enemies can always tell you what they think of you. The really good friends are your enemies because they will never lie to you.

Don't lie about it, that way you don't look like an idiot when you get caught. Just be honest and tell him straight up that you need this time for yourself and you are sorry you can accommodate him for that time.

Problem solved, no need for more lies and you can at least have some peace of mind that you didn't have to manipulate the situation.

Have some balls... face the truth...
kickycan

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 10:59 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple, you are completely right. And the thing is, I knew I should have told the truth in the beginning, but I thought that me wanting to be by myself wasn't a good enough-sounding reason to tell him to go somewhere else to stay, so I made up the stupid lie. And the thing is, I've been brutally honest with him many times in the past. I don't know what the hell I was thinking this time.

Anyway, I think I've almost got myself psyched up enough so that I can come clean tomorrow. I actually don't think it will be that big a deal once I get it over with. I just need to put it in a way so as to make myself look as little like a selfish deceptive jerk as possible.

Thanks for the help, guys.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 11:06 pm
@kickycan,
wear a pope hat...

(the beanie one, the big one would just look silly unless you went formal)
shewolfnm

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 11:08 pm
@kickycan,
can you maybe suggest you might have been hung over , or still buzzed when you lied?

alcohol is always a great go to lie creater...
kickycan

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 11:09 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Keep silent for now, and on Saturday you email him that you have got the flu, probably swine flu, and you are mostly in bed recuperating. Couldn't go to Rochester either, you just want to stay home and take care of yourself. Tell him that you might feel better by Monday, but you're not really up to having company as you are still to weak to deal with anything but yourself. It's a curse, such a darn curse, but hey that's how it is, right? Then you sign off and that's that!

I wish I was as skilled a liar as it would take to pull that one off! Could you pull that off? What's the biggest lie you've ever gotten away with?
kickycan

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 11:17 pm
@shewolfnm,
I don't know. These lies were done via e-mail over a twenty-four hour period, so I doubt the alcohol lie would work. Plus that makes me sound kind of pathetic. I think I'm going to try to focus more on the reasons I want to be alone instead of making up some excuse about why I lied. I'm just going to tell him that I lied because I didn't want him to think I didn't want him there, which is true, or at least true-ish. It's part of the truth, anyway. I need to think about it tomorrow after I've had a good night's sleep. I'm pretty sure it will be fine, and I've freaked out all day for nothing, which is becoming quite the disturbing little personality trait of mine lately. I react first, think later. I need to stop that **** and not be so damn reactionary.