Where was God during the holocaust?

cicerone imposter

Fri 26 Apr, 2013 10:51 am
@neologist,
You wrote,
Quote:
After all, what part of "Thou shalt not murder" is so hard to understand?

In and of itself - as a stand alone statement, it has a simple meaning, but god authorizes the killing of others in certain circumstances. Even the wholesale killing of men, women and children.. That's a conflict in the "ten" commandments. Where's the logic?
neologist

Fri 26 Apr, 2013 11:37 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
You wrote,
Quote:
After all, what part of "Thou shalt not murder" is so hard to understand?

In and of itself - as a stand alone statement, it has a simple meaning, but god authorizes the killing of others in certain circumstances. Even the wholesale killing of men, women and children.. That's a conflict in the "ten" commandments. Where's the logic?
Let's take it one or two points at a time:
1] If Adam and Eve had not sinned, we would not have death, as it was (and is) God's purpose to have the earth populated by humans with the prospect of living forever.
2] God has promised a resurrection for all those who have died without knowledge. (John 5:28) This applies to all who have died, whether they died peacefully in their sleep or at the end of some unspeakable pain.

Look 1000 years into the future: A person who died in the Holocaust or by some action of the Jews in Canaan will now have lived many hundreds of years pain free. Will he curse God for the pain he received as a consequence of Adam's sin or bless God for the life Jesus restored to him?
cicerone imposter

Fri 26 Apr, 2013 12:47 pm
@neologist,
You wrote,
Quote:
1] If Adam and Eve had not sinned, we would not have death, as it was (and is) God's purpose to have the earth populated by humans with the prospect of living forever.

That is silly! If Adam and Eve had sex, and that was a sin, why the sex organs?

Also, if man was never to die, this planet wouldn't be capable of handling all the animal kingdom or humans! That's LOGIC.
cicerone imposter

Fri 26 Apr, 2013 12:50 pm
@neologist,
As for good people dying with pain, that makes no sense whatsoever. Innocent babies and children die of pain that none of us have ever experienced, but that doesn't mean we are not aware of god's sins. If you can chalk that up to god's mysterious ways, you can keep your god.

neologist

Fri 26 Apr, 2013 01:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
You wrote,
neo wrote:
That is silly! If Adam and Eve had sex, and that was a sin, why the sex organs?
Who told you sex was a sin? Not I, CI!
cicerone imposter wrote:
Also, if man was never to die, this planet wouldn't be capable of handling all the animal kingdom or humans! That's LOGIC.
They were told to fill the earth. What would that mean to you? Suppose you told the waiter to fill your cup with coffee. Would you expect him to continue pouring until the table cloth was soaked- until coffee ran on to the floor- flooded the room - ever try to swim in coffee? I would drink myself silly fist - then probably sink. Oh well. Do you get my point?
0 Replies

neologist

Fri 26 Apr, 2013 01:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
As for good people dying with pain, that makes no sense whatsoever. Innocent babies and children die of pain that none of us have ever experienced, but that doesn't mean we are not aware of god's sins. If you can chalk that up to god's mysterious ways, you can keep your god.
Pain is a consequence of Adam and Eve's sin and is not the fault of God.
cicerone imposter

Fri 26 Apr, 2013 01:17 pm
@neologist,
How does another person's sins impact other innocent humans? Is that justice? NO! That's beyond the sense of justice and logic. A murder cannot be transferred to other people who didn't even know the murderer.

How about deformed babies? Is that how god treats innocent humans? They have done nothing to deserve the penalty of other people's crimes/sins.

neologist

Fri 26 Apr, 2013 05:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
How does another person's sins impact other innocent humans? Is that justice? NO! That's beyond the sense of justice and logic. A murder cannot be transferred to other people who didn't even know the murderer.

How about deformed babies? Is that how god treats innocent humans? They have done nothing to deserve the penalty of other people's crimes/sins.
I agree the whole thing is not fair. But the fault lies, not with Jehovah, but with the angel who chose to rebel and co opted Adam and Eve into his plan.

Had Adam and Eve not sinned, their offspring would have been perfect. But when they rebelled they lost their moral and physical perfection. Hence their offspring would inherit their flaw. It's a lot like a cake pan when, if perfect, will continue to make perfect cakes indefinitely; but, if it becomes dented, all succeeding cakes will inherit the dent.

Now, you might conclude it would have been appropriate for God to have destroyed the rebels on the spot. After all, their sin was deserving of death. Of course, you and I would not have been born in that case.

More importantly, several of Satan's implied allegations would never be settled: 1] Did God lie? 2] Would mankind be better off setting their own standards? 3] Do intelligent creatures serve God only because of selfishness? God has allowed time for this to work out. You and I may certainly feel that 6000 years is far more time than is necessary. But you and I do not maintain the celestial clock.
FBM

Fri 26 Apr, 2013 06:10 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

FBM wrote:
Ah. I was asking if that post was your real opinion or if you were being sarcastic.
I readily direct sarcasm towards the clergy who have misled mankind for centuries. In that respect, I am much like Diderot, who exclaimed. "Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."

Anyone claiming to understand the Bible who does not realize Satan's role in world affairs has some hidden agenda, I believe.

Alright, but this is like arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin when the question is whether or not angels exist. Why should anyone alive today believe a collection of old stories told by Bronze Age nomads?
cicerone imposter

Fri 26 Apr, 2013 06:14 pm
@neologist,
Bad analogy; humans are not cake pans.

A volcano, tsunami, floods, earthquakes and other "natural" disasters goes beyond a dented cake pan. It kills everybody. It's called nature, not god.

Religions have been responsible for many heinous crimes against humanity. If religion is supposed to be the answer to "go to heaven," it misses on fundamental historical evidence.

What has GW Bush's (a devout christian) war in Iraq and Afghanistan have to do with a dented pan or the devil? It killed tens of thousands of innocent humans - most of another country and religion.

Where's god's love? It doesn't exist.
neologist

Fri 26 Apr, 2013 06:23 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
Alright, but this is like arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin when the question is whether or not angels exist. Why should anyone alive today believe a collection of old stories told by Bronze Age nomads?
Only if there exists enough circumstantial and anecdotal evidence to support faith.
neologist

Fri 26 Apr, 2013 06:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Bad analogy; humans are not cake pans.
True, but humans do pass on their imperfections, do they not?
cicerone imposter wrote:
A volcano, tsunami, floods, earthquakes and other "natural" disasters goes beyond a dented cake pan. It kills everybody. It's called nature, not god.
I'm not sure I see how this fits in
cicerone imposter wrote:
Religions have been responsible for many heinous crimes against humanity. If religion is supposed to be the answer to "go to heaven," it misses on fundamental historical evidence.
When you bring up the subject of religion in general, keep in mind you are waving a straw man. I do not intend to defend the clergy who have misled people for centuries. BTW, I don't hope or expect to go to heaven. Man's future is clearly on earth.
cicerone imposter wrote:
What has GW Bush's (a devout christian) war in Iraq and Afghanistan have to do with a dented pan or the devil? It killed tens of thousands of innocent humans - most of another country and religion.
Another straw man. Don't ask me to explain Dubya.
cicerone imposter wrote:
Where's god's love? It doesn't exist.
If you fault God for suffering, who do you credit for the good life you have led?
FBM

Fri 26 Apr, 2013 06:38 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

FBM wrote:
Only if there exists enough circumstantial and anecdotal evidence to support faith.

First of all, if you have evidence, you don't have faith, you have knowledge. By definition, I mean.

Why circumstantial and anecdotal evidence are insufficient for a claim of such incredible magnitude:

Quote:
Circumstantial evidence is evidence in which an inference is required to connect it to a conclusion of fact, like a fingerprint at the scene of a crime. By contrast, direct evidence supports the truth of an assertion directly—i.e., without need for any additional evidence or the intervening inference.
On its own, it is the nature of circumstantial evidence for more than one explanation to still be possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumstantial_evidence

Quote:
The expression anecdotal evidence refers to evidence from anecdotes. Because of the small sample, there is a larger chance that it may be unreliable due to cherry-picked or otherwise non-representative samples of typical cases.[1][2] Anecdotal evidence is considered dubious support of a claim; it is accepted only in lieu of more solid evidence. This is true regardless of the veracity of individual claims.[3][4][5]
The term is often used in contrast to scientific evidence, such as evidence-based medicine, which are types of formal accounts. Some anecdotal evidence does not qualify as scientific evidence because its nature prevents it from being investigated using the scientific method. Misuse of anecdotal evidence is an informal fallacy and is sometimes referred to as the "person who" fallacy ("I know a person who..."; "I know of a case where..." etc. Compare with hasty generalization).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

Sorry for the copypasta, but it's more succinct, precise and concise than I can be until after my first pot of coffee.
neologist

Fri 26 Apr, 2013 06:40 pm
@FBM,
You have coffee?

Where are you? Where? Where?
FBM

Fri 26 Apr, 2013 06:41 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

You have coffee?

Laughing Even here in South Korea, I have coffee with me just about every waking hour.
neologist

Fri 26 Apr, 2013 06:49 pm
@FBM,
OK. Anecdotal evidence:
I believe it is what Paul referred to n Hebrews 11:1 "Faith is the assured expectation of things hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities though not beheld."
First thing I noticed: "By this all will know that YOU are my disciples, if YOU have love among yourselves.” (John 13: 35) This is true in my faith. Anywhere in the world that I may go, I will find true brothers and sisters. I've never seen exceptions.
Second thing (And there is much more) The wide chasm between what the Bible teaches and what the clergy has foisted on mankind for centuries. : Immortal soul; hellfire; trinity; to name a few.

neologist

Fri 26 Apr, 2013 06:51 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
neologist wrote:
You have coffee?

Laughing Even here in South Korea, I have coffee with me just about every waking hour.
Rats! To far to go. It will be cold by the time I get there. But if you are ever in the Seattle Washington USA area. Drop by. My treat.
FBM

Fri 26 Apr, 2013 06:55 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

FBM wrote:
neologist wrote:
You have coffee?

Rats! To far to go. It will be cold by the time I get there. But if you are ever in the Seattle Washington USA area. Drop by. My treat.

Gracias. If you ever do make the trip over to this side of the pond, I'll make a fresh pot of Vietnamese for you. Smile
0 Replies

FBM

Fri 26 Apr, 2013 06:57 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

OK. Anecdotal evidence:
I believe it is what Paul referred to n Hebrews 11:1 "Faith is the assured expectation of things hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities though not beheld."
First thing I noticed: "By this all will know that YOU are my disciples, if YOU have love among yourselves.” (John 13: 35) This is true in my faith. Anywhere in the world that I may go, I will find true brothers and sisters. I've never seen exceptions.
Second thing (And there is much more) The wide chasm between what the Bible teaches and what the clergy has foisted on mankind for centuries. : Immortal soul; hellfire; trinity; to name a few.

OK, but we need evidence for the existence of the god that Paul was evangelizing for before we can put any credibility in what he says...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 26 Apr, 2013 07:04 pm
@neologist,
You,
Quote:
True, but humans do pass on their imperfections, do they not?
That was god's choice, and he now wants perfection from humans?

You,
Quote:
I'm not sure I see how this fits in.
Not only are humans not perfect, but nature also kills humans. Talk about an imperfect world, it surrounds us everywhere.

You,
Quote:
When you bring up the subject of religion in general, keep in mind you are waving a straw man. I do not intend to defend the clergy who have misled people for centuries. BTW, I don't hope or expect to go to heaven. Man's future is clearly on earth.

How can it be a straw man when god expects humans to follow his teachings? God started with the apostles, and that was followed by the clergy. If you know the history of mankind, most were unable to read or write, and it was the clergy who had to "teach" their flock.

You,
Quote:
Another straw man. Don't ask me to explain Dubya.

How can it be a straw man when the president of our country is guilty of mass killings of humans - estimated at tens of thousands of innocent Iraqis.

So, your response for all god's mysteries are "it's a straw man?" LOL

You,
Quote:
If you fault God for suffering, who do you credit for the good life you have led?

I'm responsible for what I have done with my life. How can you credit god with your accomplishments or failings when god has never answered any of your prayers. It's been researched by several universities that prayer does not work.

How did god help you?