Moderators Needed for the New Philosophy Forum Group on A2K

jgweed

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 01:26 pm
As many of you are aware, Robert has been working on a new groups function that will allow us to have a Philosophy Forum group on Able2Know.com. This group is not yet ready but will be soon.

It will function very much like the old Philosophy Forum. We will work hard to uphold standards of civility and constructive discourse, and maintain the community spirit.

I will be an administrator of this group, but I will not be able to do all of the work involved in developing the group and keeping it functioning smoothly on my own. I will need volunteer Moderators to assist me.

Moderator's duties include:

* helping to formulate policy
* removing spam
* making positive contributions to the group
* enforcing our policies
* maintaining topic integrity

I am looking for people who have a good working knowledge of philosophy, but expertise is not required. An ability to work creatively and collaboratively is more important. Patience is also a valued characteristic as the group will launch in a fairly rough form (there will be continuing refinements to both software and policies).

While it is likely that members of the old Philosophy Forum would have the best base of knowledge to help moderate this new group, I will accept applications from anyone.

If you are interested, please contact me at [email protected] with a brief explanation of why you want to be a Moderator by Friday, August 13th.

Feel free to pass this on to people who may not visit A2K very often, as we are hoping to have a group of moderators selected very soon.

I look forward to creating a thriving philosophical community, with your help.

Best Regards,
John

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 35 • Views: 37,026 • Replies: 663
Topic Closed

jgweed

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 01:48 pm
@jgweed,
The immediate priority is to establish a working group of Moderators. Later, we will be establishing a group of Advisors.

Advisor duties include:

* providing feedback re: software, content, and policies
* welcoming and helping new members
* facilitating thread discussions
* initiating quality threads

If you are not sure if you want the responsibilities of a Moderator, or if you apply but are not selected, the Advisor role may be perfect for you.
HexHammer

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 02:17 pm
@jgweed,
Guess I'm not into consideration Razz
Below viewing threshold (view)
djjd62

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 06:22 pm
@jgweed,
jgweed wrote:
* maintaining topic integrity

damn, i'm not even gonna get to post there if i gotta follow that rule Crying or Very sad
mark noble

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 06:25 pm
@Night Ripper,
Hi NR!

I think you'd be a good and fair mod!

Kind regards!
mark.
0 Replies

mark noble

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 06:25 pm
@HexHammer,
Good guess!!!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 08:17 pm
I hope they get this completed soon. The hamster and message box at the top makes me think I have received a PM.
mismi

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 08:19 pm
@Intrepid,
Me too.
Intrepid

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 08:33 pm
@mismi,
It's annoying, actually.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 09:28 pm
@jgweed,
We must all do what we can't.
0 Replies

mark noble

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 09:52 pm
@jgweed,
John, I commend you for what you are trying to achieve here. It is a grand gesture indeed that you make by taking up your new role. it is also a genuinely decent act by Robert in setting up this forum for a group of virtual strangers who clearly need their own space.

I glance back over this thread and realise why it is so important for the two collectives to be seperated.

My only concern is the door that any newcomers to the philosophy group have to enter by is preceded by a foyer that, in my eyes, is comparable to hell. Does one dare to traverse the highway of despair, simply to find a homely sanctuary within? Does anyone dare to open pandora's box to discover that hope grants little more than a fleeting glimpse?

I wonder?
Razzleg

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 10:48 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

I glance back over this thread and realise why it is so important for the two collectives to be seperated.

Why? Because some of the responses are casual, intelligent, and funny, and the others are self-important, self-deluded, and vague? i'm curious as to how you think i am distributing each post between each of the two categories i'm describing. i have to warn you, whatever answer you give will be wrong.

Good luck, jgweed, i will definitely be checking in on your subforum, barring that you exclude me.
msolga

Thu 12 Aug, 2010 01:47 am
@mismi,
I really hope you you guys find some moderators soon. That green message at the top of every single page is driving me a bit nuts.
First, I think I have a PM ... then I think the site is about to undergo more necessary work & we're about to go offline any minute ....
mark noble

Thu 12 Aug, 2010 05:55 am
@Razzleg,
Yes...and no.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Thu 12 Aug, 2010 07:20 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

I really hope you you guys find some moderators soon. That green message at the top of every single page is driving me a bit nuts.
First, I think I have a PM ... then I think the site is about to undergo more necessary work & we're about to go offline any minute ....

Yup, exactly as I had posted also. Better watch out. That elitist, M Noble will dub us as undesirable minions of a sub-cultural entrance to the world of snubbery.
0 Replies

mark noble

Thu 12 Aug, 2010 08:18 am
@msolga,
Remind me Msolga: What is a PM?
Intrepid

Thu 12 Aug, 2010 08:36 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Something that the rest of us have.

If you don't have a PM, does a PM exist?
0 Replies

kennethamy

Thu 12 Aug, 2010 08:49 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

It is the abbreviation for "post meridian" or the time after noon, namely the evening, as in, "7 pm". And all of us have evenings.
mark noble

Thu 12 Aug, 2010 09:34 am
@kennethamy,
Hi Ken!

I thought it was pre-menstrual, something or other.

Mark...
0 Replies