Moderators Needed for the New Philosophy Forum Group on A2K

spendius

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 02:13 pm
@HexHammer,
Quote:
O such travesti, that the very thead that calls out for moderators is the very same that holds blatant proof of the dire need.

For that statement to pass muster on a philosophy thread, as opposed to a bus queue say, it is necessary for some justification to be offered to support it. As it stands it is an assertion and circular.

If the thread needs a moderator it is to discourage such statements. It represents not only not thinking about thinking, one definition of philosophy, but not thinking at all. The "philosophers" who anathematized Socrates, Spinoza, La Mettrie, Hobbs (after he was dead) and Russell might well have said the same.

It makes no demands on honesty and fairness to opponents, no attempt to tolerate long periods of uncertainty, an inability to change one's mind, and may fairly be said to derive from emotional sources.
ehBeth

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 02:45 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:
gets some more mods now O A2K

nah, all you need is for the other forum to be ready for you - you'll get your moderators and the rest of A2K can proceed in its own crusty way
GoshisDead

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 03:05 pm
@ehBeth,
Yeah Beth, I think that is the strategy that the people in charge are going with.
spendius

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 03:12 pm
@GoshisDead,
What advertising strategy do you think will pay best?
0 Replies

mark noble

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 03:36 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

this is Hell,

See... This is how the foyer is perceived.

By those with the ability to perceive through the garbage, that is.

Mark...
mark noble

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 03:44 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

It represents not only not thinking about thinking,

Hi Spendius!

Is that the same as 'thinking about not thinking'?

That happens to be a great thread topic...
See you there!

Mark...
0 Replies

Zetherin

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 04:10 pm
@mark noble,
Which foyer is that again, Mark?

We hope that the community we're creating with the new group won't be considered "hell".
spendius

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 04:48 pm
@mark noble,
Quote:
By those with the ability to perceive through the garbage, that is.

What garbage?? Anybody can declare something "garbage" and then preen on the assertion that they can see through it.

That ain't philosophy mark. That's utter self-absorbed drivel in the very worst possible taste as it combines two circularities. And a claim to have X-ray eyes.
Zetherin

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 04:56 pm
@spendius,
Why do you keep criticizing posts in here for being unphilosophic? It's abundantly clear to everyone here that the discussions in this thread haven't been philosophic.
Rockhead

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:00 pm
@mark noble,
I think it is unseemly to complain about the garbage whilst one is producing it...
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:07 pm
@Zetherin,
Quote:
Why do you keep criticizing posts in here for being unphilosophic? It's abundantly clear to everyone here that the discussions in this thread haven't been philosophic.

What's the point of doubleplusungood philosophers trying to discover how to moderate a philosophy forum? And coming off a failed site as well which A2K isn't.

Which of my posts do you consider unphilosophic?
Thomas

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:09 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:
Beggars cant choose, gets some more mods now O A2K, this is Hell, this is benath what should be, end it!

So, am I to understand that you're volunteering to be a moderator? And if so, would the PP community volunteer to have you, among others, moderate them? I always applaud members who step forward and dedicate themselves to the common good.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:18 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
What's the point of doubleplusungood philosophers trying to discover how to moderate a philosophy forum?

First, you're being presumptuous with your judgment of the people that will participate in the new community. It isn't fair to call them "doubleplusungood philosophers", simply based on a handful of people here that have given you lip. I wouldn't call everyone at A2K a troll, simply because I've come across you. But, then again, perhaps I am more reasonable than you are.

Secondly, no one here is trying to discover how to moderate a philosophy forum. I don't know where you got that idea.
Quote:
And coming off a failed site as well which A2K isn't.

The old site wasn't a failed site at all. While not as large as this forum, it still had a good number of users and numbers were increasing daily. If you don't know something about the old forum, you may ask, but don't spout out false information in order to defame this community.
Quote:
Which of my posts do you consider unphilosophic?

We're not discussing philosophy in this thread. As anyone can see, the discussion is general.
msolga

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:34 pm
@Zetherin,
Quote:
Which foyer is that again, Mark?

We hope that the community we're creating with the new group won't be considered "hell".

I'm beginning to wonder, Zetherin, if it might be Mark's purpose here to ensure that it is hell? Maybe the purpose of a couple of other posters, too? Wink

This thread has certainly been a very interesting learning experience for me. I now think I know some individual members of the former philosophy forum group a lot better than I did before. Yes, I know that this wasn't the intention of this thread at all, but it's been a bit of an eye opener, all the same. It appears to me that there are some "unresolved issues from the past". I'm hoping (though no doubt it's very frustrating for you) that this messy discussion gets some of those issues out of the way & you can all find a way to move on.

Zetherin

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:42 pm
@msolga,
The simple jist of it is:

People were disgruntled that the old site was shutdown so abruptly. It was a tough situation for a lot of users that used to call Philforum home, including myself.

Unfortunately, it appears some of those users still haven't gotten over that grudge - so, yes, there does seem to be unresolved issues (and they may or may not be justified in this - I'm not getting into that). But, as you may know, many of the old posters have matured through the situation, and do regularly contribute on the main A2K site. And some have even begun to make this site their home and are equally as happy here.
msolga

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 06:06 pm
@Zetherin,
Quote:
Unfortunately, it appears some of those users still haven't gotten over that grudge ...

I've noticed that! Wink

Quote:
...many of the old posters have matured through the situation, and do regularly contribute on the main A2K site. And some have even begun to make this site their home and are equally as happy here.

I've definitely noticed this, too. And I think their participation has been a real boost to this discussion board.

I think I might be feeling a bit sorry for you, Zetherin. The demise of the old philosophy forum site wasn't of your making & I can see you working away now to make the best of the situation. I just wish some of your fellow philosophy folk here were a bit more supportive of your efforts, that's all.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 07:47 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
Secondly, no one here is trying to discover how to moderate a philosophy forum. I don't know where you got that idea.
Yep your right, we'r not even trying, just look at how this thread going rampage.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 08:04 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

HexHammer wrote:
nah, all you need is for the other forum to be ready for you - you'll get your moderators and the rest of A2K can proceed in its own crusty way
Then maybe you need to wake up to reality, or have a better sense of what is decent and indecent.
To me the situation is unacceptable, unworthy of intelligent adults.
Intrepid

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 08:57 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

HexHammer wrote:
Then maybe you need to wake up to reality, or have a better sense of what is decent and indecent.

Yet you are still here.

I would really like to see how this thread would be moderated if, in fact, this was in the PhiliForum Group. How different would it be?
0 Replies

msolga

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 09:22 pm
@HexHammer,
Quote:

Would you like to expand on that? Provide a little more detail?
"Decent" & "indecent" ... a situation "unacceptable, unworthy of intelligent adults".
Those are very damning assessments.
I must say, I'm also surprised that you're still here, too, if this is your honest assessment.