Moderators Needed for the New Philosophy Forum Group on A2K

djjd62

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 01:37 pm
@Khethil,
threads like these are exactly why forums don't need moderators

mods should stick to deleting spam, violations of the TOS and maybe moving subjects to more appropriate forums (if such things exist)

threads should be left to the posters
Pangloss

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 01:38 pm
@Khethil,
This thread makes it perfectly obvious that moderation is exactly what's needed here at A2K, if there is any desire to make this place a legitimate destination for civilized discussion.
Khethil

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 01:40 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
threads like these are exactly why forums don't need moderators

mods should stick to deleting spam, violations of the TOS and maybe moving subjects to more appropriate forums (if such things exist)

threads should be left to the posters

I don't necessarily disagree with you. It depends on what one's trying to create, foster or encourage - different tools and methods for different desired outcomes.

Just struck me as a bit ironic - that's all.
djjd62

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 01:41 pm
@Khethil,
the irony is fantastic
0 Replies

Caroline

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 01:44 pm
@mark noble,
Observation, what are you a qualified dr now? And that was an insult too, not to clever are you, people who resort to insults without backing their reasons up are just stupid and cant grasp the truth. And what are you on about last word? Look I'm ignoring you as of now, you're just an annoying little boy. Go away. I don't have time for your posts. Good bye mark and have a pleasant life.
mark noble

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 01:48 pm
@Pangloss,
Hi Pangloss!

As was my intention to expose. Right time - right place...All relevant eyes are attending to this thread.

Does anyone NOW perceive the difficulty in attempting to have a reasonable discussion in this location? I'm certain you do.

The bickering, baiting, back-biting and trolling are all here, in this thread. One leads - another follows.

Caroline. I apologise for my behaviour, you were simply an easy target to bounce off.
Please forgive me, but I wanted to prove a point, here.

Does anyone believe prospective newcomers will want to wade through this kind of trash to find a wholesome meal in the bottom of the bin?

Have a brilliant everything always!
Mark...

Zetherin

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 01:50 pm
Hell has no fury like a woman scorned?
Caroline

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 01:50 pm
@mark noble,
What makes me an easy target? Apology not accepted.
mark noble

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 01:55 pm
@Caroline,
Hi Caroline!

Your desire to respond to that which you take personally.
The attention you pay to detail, and the way you speak your mind when you feel you are being attacked.

Journey well!
Mark...
mark noble

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 01:58 pm
@Zetherin,
Hi Zeth!

Is that EVERY woman you refer too? LOL

Sorry! Couldn't resist that one.
All the best to you Zeth!!!
Mark...
0 Replies

Caroline

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 02:01 pm
@mark noble,
And what's wrong with that?
sozobe

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 02:03 pm
@Pangloss,
Or, people could start using the ignore function.

Imagine if all the people sputtering at Spendius and Mark Noble just ignored them already?
spendius

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 02:05 pm
@Pangloss,
Quote:
This thread makes it perfectly obvious that moderation is exactly what's needed here at A2K, if there is any desire to make this place a legitimate destination for civilized discussion.

As this is an introductory, elementary philosophy thread perhaps I ought to point out that the above statement is a circular as once round on a rocking-horse roundabout.
0 Replies

Pangloss

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 02:05 pm
@sozobe,
Yes, people could, but they don't. And then the entire community pays for it when every potentially constructive discussion goes spiraling out of focus.
sozobe

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 02:07 pm
@sozobe,
Note -- I get how people need to find out for themselves about whether someone is best ignored or not.

Before I figured out Mark Noble, he ticked me off royally. Spendius ticked me off royally too back in the day. I get how people get ticked off.

However, at some point, poking them really doesn't accomplish much except encouraging them and cluttering up threads.
0 Replies

Caroline

@Pangloss,
People shouldn't attack another person for no reason.
0 Replies

sozobe

@Pangloss,
Right. So use the ignore function already. It's there for a reason.
spendius

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 02:12 pm
@Caroline,
Quote:
Good bye mark and have a pleasant life.

There you go mark. You see how such polite sentiments can so easily be misinterpreted.

Those who Caroline has on Ignore should address remarks about her in the third person as she is absent from the conversation. And those who are not on her Ignore list should not quote those who are unless they do it deliberately.
Intrepid

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 02:23 pm
@spendius,
If she has everybody on ignore that she says he has, then there is nobody left for her to read anyhow. Soon, she will be talking to herself.
sozobe

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 02:23 pm
@mark noble,
Let me see if I have this right...

You are proving that this is a place where reasonable discussion is difficult by being an extremely difficult participant in the discussion?

Gosh!

Rather low bar you've set there.

To back up a bit:

Obviously, people who were used to more hands-on, top-down moderation at the old Philforum are unhappy with the lack of hands-on, top-down moderation here.

That is why Robert has created a group where you can have the hands-on, top-down moderation that you prefer. That is why jgweed is looking for moderators who can provide that hands-on, top-down moderation you prefer.

We get that you prefer it.

However, there isn't some empirical truth of The Proper Way To Moderate Forums. Many of us here MUCH prefer the more free-flowing, crowd-sourced, and open conversation that we find here.

And particularly -- many of us prefer many different things, which I find to be the beauty part of A2K's software. It can be adjusted to many different preferences, all using the same forum.

However -- the question of which forum is better and which method of moderation is better is largely moot. The fact that many former Philforumers prefer the old way has been acknowledged and action has been taken accordingly. And in a short time (hopefully very short but I dunno where Robert is in things), you can go ahead and have that oasis that you so desire.