Moderators Needed for the New Philosophy Forum Group on A2K

jgweed

Thu 12 Aug, 2010 03:09 pm
@mark noble,
I really hope that rather than build silos, the interaction between A2Kers and Pfers, will continue and grow, and folks can participate in both groups as they wish. Granted the Group will have a narrow focus and delimited subject matter, granted that it will have more stringent and enforced posting rules, but given this, I really hope anyone interested will be at home and welcome to participate in the discussions.

We seem to live in an age of strident yelling and must put up with the buzz of propaganda and all-too-easily acquired opinions one can pull out of a pocket at a moment's notice. More and more there is need for quiet spaces on the internet where intellectual, critical, and lucid thinking and discussion can take place. People who cannot find this kind of discussion in real life deserve to find it, and to meet others who share a commitment to authentic communication of "philosophical" subjects, on the internet. This was one of the more important aspects of the old Philosophy Forum that made it unique for many of its Members, and I hope this aspect can continue in the new Philforum Group. For this reason alone, the door will be always open to people such as these, and hopefully the foyer will admit of easy passing.

cicerone imposter

Thu 12 Aug, 2010 03:36 pm
@djjd62,
You can include me in that group. ha ha
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 12 Aug, 2010 03:38 pm
@kennethamy,
It is not "post meridian." The PM stands for Punch Me.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Thu 12 Aug, 2010 04:14 pm
@mark noble,
PM = Personal Message.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Thu 12 Aug, 2010 04:23 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

I'd offer to moderate but I think Robert has already put me in his naughty list for calling him out on his abusive and immature nature and the generally shoddy philosophical content he posts. Of course, if he's big enough to take the chip off his shoulder I'd still be glad to help.

Robert, as in, the owner of this site? Abusive and immature? I never pinned him as such.

No matter, Robert has nothing to do with the choosing of this moderation team, as far as I know. It's jgweed's call.
Night Ripper

Thu 12 Aug, 2010 04:29 pm
@Zetherin,
http://able2know.org/topic/158307-4#post-4279748

Calling me intellectually dishonest, etc.
Zetherin

Thu 12 Aug, 2010 04:30 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

Night Ripper, I know this is off-topic (and I apologize Jgweed!), but I don't know where else I can ask you this: What happened to your determinism thread? It seems to have disappeared! I really need that thread.
Night Ripper

Thu 12 Aug, 2010 04:37 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

Night Ripper wrote:

Night Ripper, I know this is off-topic (and I apologize Jgweed!), but I don't know where else I can ask you this: What happened to your determinism thread? It seems to have disappeared!

You can send me a private message. Anyways, I don't know where it went. It could have at least just been closed instead of deleted since my first post in there took a bit of effort to type.
Zetherin

Thu 12 Aug, 2010 04:39 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

Zetherin wrote:

Night Ripper wrote:

Night Ripper, I know this is off-topic (and I apologize Jgweed!), but I don't know where else I can ask you this: What happened to your determinism thread? It seems to have disappeared!

You can send me a private message. Anyways, I don't know where it went. It could have at least just been closed instead of deleted since my first post in there took a bit of effort to type.

Robert disabled PM's about 2 months ago for all former philosophyforum members.

And, yeah, there was a lot of good discussion in there, but it appears to be nonexistent now. I'm hoping it's not gone for good and Robert is just transferring the old threads into the group or something.
Night Ripper

Thu 12 Aug, 2010 05:58 pm
I see that now. It's kind of pathetic when you think about it. Calling it mass spam when it's really just a bunch of people trying to reconnect. This entire deal just stinks. I hope the old forum admin at least made a quick buck from selling us out. Oh well, if we don't like it we can always leave.
Arjuna

Thu 12 Aug, 2010 06:03 pm
@jgweed,
jgweed wrote:

People who cannot find this kind of discussion in real life deserve to find it, and to meet others who share a commitment to authentic communication of "philosophical" subjects, on the internet.

From my point of view, creating a special group is more about establishing a certain focus... not about excluding people. The more the merrier, and diversity of outlook is a good thing.

I'm sure some means of continually inviting folks in from a larger community could be explored.

I don't see the old Philforum being recreated, but it would be a valuable thing if that atmosphere of thoughtful communication... between everybody from well-read folks to those of us whose philosophy is mostly home-grown could be fostered. I imagine such a special group within a2k would develop it's own particular identity in time.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Thu 12 Aug, 2010 10:11 pm
it is difficult to present this discussion without sounding pedantic. We are not saying A2k posts are not well thought out, witty, relevant, or rational. A more academic style philosophical discussion follows a certain style that is not followed in the larger forum. This is what we are trying to re-create with a subforum.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Thu 12 Aug, 2010 11:11 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
I see that now. It's kind of pathetic when you think about it. Calling it mass spam when it's really just a bunch of people trying to reconnect. This entire deal just stinks. I hope the old forum admin at least made a quick buck from selling us out. Oh well, if we don't like it we can always leave.
You speak in such angry and overly negative way, why?
0 Replies

Caroline

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 05:33 am
@Night Ripper,
The old forum admin did not sell us out to the highest bidder, Justin made sure we had a good home to go to. The spammers did not just spam they also tricked Robert into thinking they were helping when all they were doing was stealing his ideas.

I was bored with the old forum because it was becoming very academic and I'm not interested in it, there is an obvious a need for it so now we get the best of both worlds so a thanks is in order .
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 06:15 am
People who prefer clubs to pubs are all the same. It is not meeting life in all its fascinating manifestations that they seek but pale relections of themselves.
0 Replies

jgweed

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 06:25 am
It seems to me that everyone here will have the best of two worlds, and if they so desire, can be a part of both. Goshisdead, correctly I think, points out that "philosophic" discussion follows certain customs that are not always observed in A2K threads; in addition, it is apparent that topics need to fall under certain commonly understood and ordered subject categories to facilitate dialogs while the open tagging system in A2K does not.

Robert deserves a lot of credit for rescuing Philosophy Forum when the economic burden of supporting it became too great for its owner and preventing its complete and total disappearance from the Internet. He deserves even more for recognising that his forum software is not always the most useful for some subjects and for making Philforum Group the first actual attempt to design an alternative Community structure.
ughaibu

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 06:35 am
@jgweed,
jgweed wrote:
it is apparent that topics need to fall under certain commonly understood and ordered subject categories to facilitate dialogs while the open tagging system in A2K does not.
Any idea what happened to Night Ripper's "rescuing free will from determinism" thread?
spendius

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 07:57 am
@ughaibu,
Quote:
Any idea what happened to Night Ripper's "rescuing free will from determinism" thread?

It doesn't much matter when it's only an annexe of a back room office on the 50th floor of rescuing Christianity from atheism. It's a mere comforting conceit for those who can neither accept Christianity nor the loss of free will that non-acceptance entails. A bit like a lady who denies being a prostitute but grants her favours when given a Christmas present. That's one of the reasons the cash tills jingle at Yuletide.
spendius

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 08:00 am
@spendius,
It's a sort of Plillybuster. (Geddit? Eh? he he he, ho ho ho.)
0 Replies

ughaibu

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 08:08 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
It doesn't much matter when it's only an annexe of a back room office on the 50th floor of rescuing Christianity from atheism.
Bullshit. Free will is an issue which is entirely independent of christianity or any other religion. The neurotic atheists who deny their reality for religious reasons, apropos free will, are the worst case of irrationality going.