Philforum and A2K: On each side of the ballroom.....

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:54 am
Ok, these are two fantastic communities of people who, for the most part, are eager to learn and share knowledge. So I'd like to help break the ice and get us going with some introductions (about ourselves and others).

So let us know who's who from your forum, and we'll try to introduce you to our characters.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 44 • Views: 6,359 • Replies: 69

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:58 am
I'll get you started off with some profiles around a2k:

First, our village false prophet hawkeye, he's been predicting the end of our ability to discuss things on this forum for well over a year now and might come along with a gloomy prognostication about this merger as well but if so that's a good thing, his predictions never come true.

Be careful of the bunny, a raging feminist who you'll know when you see.

Fresco and joefromchicago are both longtime participants in a2k philosophy discussions, usually on opposing sides.

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:00 am
I am Theaetetus, and I am a moderator from the Philforum. Sorry about the name. I was reading Plato's dialogue, The Theaetetus, when I joined the forum. I did not consider how difficult it was to type, so sorry about that. I was actually a philosophy major, so I do actually know my stuff--even if I don't care so much about that stuff anymore.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:08 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
First, our village false prophet hawkeye, he's been predicting the end of our ability to discuss things on this forum for well over a year now and might come along with a gloomy prognostication about this merger as well but if so that's a good thing, his predictions never come true.

Shall we talk about the droid merger? Are any of those guys still here?

Yes, I am Hawkeye, known to some as a malcontent. A great deal of what I say turns out to be true or partly true, but some squeamish types don't take very well to my truth telling...
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:16 am
I'm also a moderator from philosophy forum, and this website is very white.

That is all.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:20 am
Howdy,
GoshisDead, from the Phil Forum. Just a general participant in that which I find interesting. Stick mostly to social, religious, and language. Favor a functionalist outlook in all three realms.
Cheers,
Russ
0 Replies

Victor Eremita

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:33 am
I am Victor Eremita, of the Philforum. The name is from a character of Søren Kierkegaard's work, Either/Or.
I frequent Ethics, History of Philosophy, and Philosophy of Religion.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:43 am
Hi philosophers,
I am dagmaraka, the name is...well, mine. Dagmar to be precise. I am a political scientist by trade, but used to come to a2k to play and relax. Am looking forward to the new additions and more diverse topics for discussion. And of course to learning from the enlightened folk, no pressure.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:46 am
@Robert Gentel,
jeeprs, from philforum, crypto-buddhist with gnostic leanings. Joined March 2009 after trying out dawkins.net and philosophyforums (plural).
0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:31 am
And then comes . . . me; KaseiJin. If one were to split the words up, and find a good Japanese-English dictionary (in romaji) then one will come to know the reason for the lack of straightforwardness. YES...I'll second that, quite white! (hee, hee, hee....) And no . . . I don't eat sushi everyday (but it is true, this is a very fishy country)

One major drawback (to the degree that I may be informed in my thinking) I have noticed here, is the inablity to see any number of posts which come prior to the one being typed up. Am I mistaken, somehow?
wayne

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:41 am
Wayne from phil forum. I think about a lot of things , have enjoyed the previous forum so I'll give this a try. Yes it is very white here.
Wish I could tell who's on line from home .
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:45 am
Hello, I'm msolga. I'm not terribly important in the grand scene of things here, but I do tend to post a lot. I have many interests, some which I'm quite passionate about. But far too many interests to list.

I do understand your pain at losing your own, specialized forum. Quite a number of us who belonged to the Abuzz forum (NYT/formerly Boston Globe) went through what could be described as a period of grief, or mourning, at its demise. But we adjusted. And I hope you do, too.

A2K is a very special place for many of us here. As I've already suggested, a number of us have known each other for quite a long time. New folk have appeared, on a pretty regular basis & become part of the "family", for want of a better term. I gather (though I might be wrong) that you philosophers have similar, very strong connections? You know, there is absolutely nothing stopping you from keeping those connections alive & well here. It's up to you, really, what you make of this new experience.

Anyway, a sincere welcome to you all & best of luck here.
solipsister

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:48 am
@msolga,
i am

you are too
dadpad

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:55 am
Oy!

Down here.
If you want to know about Australia ask me.
My specialty is Oz native plants and taking the piss. If I insult you it means I like/respect you.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:59 am
@KaseiJin,
Quote:
I have noticed here, is the inablity to see any number of posts which come prior to the one being typed up. Am I mistaken, somehow?

toward the top of your screen you will find
* Popular* My Friends* My Topics* My Posts* New Topics* New Posts* Unanswered

Choose new posts to see whats currently cracking
KaseiJin

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:46 am
@dadpad,
Thanks there mate ! Fair jinkum (or have I misspelled that) LOL. I have a book at home on some of the 'pissed to the eyeballs'-like 'down under terms,' and get a kick out of some of them...and while it may sound strange, I even co-authored an English text for the Japanese highschool, jr. college level, entitled 'Aspects and Features of Australia 21 (NanUndo, 2008)

Regarding the matter of viewing the posts, I had actually (and should have been more specific--my bad--) talking about seeing n number of posts (always below the posting box) when in the posting mode (as I am at this moment). I have noticed that I can see a particular post to which I am responding, but that one only, and that if I respond 'to all,' I can see nothing--and will thus be forced to open another window of the same thread, to run back and forth from...I guess?)

Thanks for your thoughtfulness and help! KJ
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:47 am
@KaseiJin,
You are in Matsumoto? I lived there briefly as a kid (up in the mountains in front of this lake that would freeze....).
jespah

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:51 am
Woof, good morning. Glad to see you all a-comin' in. Smile
0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:52 am
@Robert Gentel,
Wow !! Small world afterall. That must be Misuzu lake (if I have that right). It had often been used as a skating rink in the winter months, and just that past winter, was shut down for good (as it doesn't freeze so well these days...and folks kind of stopped going up there so much). I live a little further out in the sticks from there even. Once the blogs are set up again, you can check out ...oh, wait a second, I don't know if there'll be photo albums or not, so maybe you can't check it out...anyway. Thanks for the note and good news ! KJ
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:57 am
@KaseiJin,
Yeah, it was used as a skating rink so that must have been it (I was a kid and can't tell you much more than the description). We'll have photo albums again eventually and I'll post some photos of us sledding around those parts. Was the most fun snow memories I have.

You live further out in the sticks? The place we lived had drop toilets back then (80's), I hope things have improved since then.