Possible Homes For philosophyforum.com Refugees

apehead

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:25 am
A personal fav of mine: www.mises.org
Just a quick search on google for "philosophy forum" came up with these sites (besides the one we used to be part of):

www.philosophychatforum.com
http://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forums/
http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/

Let me know if anyone has had any experience with these sites, and which, if any, most of the folks are going to run to.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 28 • Views: 7,414 • Replies: 68

Krumple

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:32 am
@apehead,
apehead wrote:

Just a quick search on google for "philosophy forum" came up with these sites (besides the one we used to be part of):

Let me know if anyone has had any experience with these sites, and which, if any, most of the folks are going to run to.

Thank you for the links, the first one on the list looks good, so i created an account there. I haven't checked out the other two yet, but i bookmarked them anyways.
davidm

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 08:00 am
The Galilean Library
0 Replies

Jebediah

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 08:35 am
@apehead,
I'll give this place a shot...but it seems like it's going to die. Even if the posts are all still their it feels like they disappeared.

apehead wrote:

This looks interesting, is the forum their active?
Quote:

I looked at all of these about a month ago...but found the activity level to be way too low. I'm not going to wait around 2 weeks for a reply...only a few threads are going at any give time it seems.
Neil D

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 08:43 am
@Krumple,
I agree, the first one does "look" good. I think I'll create an account there later and have a look around. Maybe this could be the place? Everything seems up in the air right now.

My brain is tired, I need more sleep.
Good luck everyone
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 09:10 am
The really good thing about this place is that there are literally thousands of people here.
NO such thing as low traffic Smile

This place wont die due to lack of participation. At least not anytime soon!

The amount of different opinions you will get here is pretty large too. Since this is a 'genera' forum, meaning, it attracts everyone.. you will be able to have a discussion about something you may have hashed out several times before but now you will get a different perspective.

Dont race off too fast! haha. You have not even given it a shot Smile
0 Replies

apehead

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 09:56 am
@Jebediah,
Quote:
This looks interesting, is the forum their active?

Oh yeah, extremely active.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:28 am
@apehead,
I'd like to nominate able2know.org. Got some neat folk.
Soul Brother

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:35 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah wrote:
I looked at all of these about a month ago...but found the activity level to be way too low. I'm not going to wait around 2 weeks for a reply...only a few threads are going at any give time it seems.

This is true, I had a look through some and on one of them the most users ever online at the one day was 30 and there was maybe 4 or 5 members online when I was there, simply appalling compared to philforum.
0 Replies

attano

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:53 am
I am going to stick around for some time, a couple of weeks, to see what is really like. So far I had problems with my avatar, I found some posts mutilated after import-export, I've lost my friends in my profile, I miss the old directory of threads... but it's just the kind of things I expected to happen. On the other side, it does not look so bad around here. On the contrary it's good to have some fresh air. Vous allez voir ce que vous allez voir...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 11:00 am
here is a link to the thread where people are asking questions/gettings answers about how to use able2know

http://able2know.org/topic/152710-1
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 11:05 am
Hi Guys,
Just checked all these out. Don't think I'll be moving unless something much more active comes up. Let me know if so.
Mark...
ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 11:09 am
@mark noble,
One thing Able2know does seem to have going for it is activity.

Not always in a topic area I'm keen on at a particular moment - but there is pretty much always something to think about going on.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 11:09 am
@mark noble,
and

welcome Mark Noble!
HexHammer

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:17 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I feel inclined to ask ..how much does the old forum cost? ..and can it be reversed?
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:22 pm
@HexHammer,
I paid $5,000 for the forum, it would probably run at a net loss of about $200/month alone because philosophy isn't a high-paying niche for advertising.

But look, give me a chance here. There's a reason I do that, it's because I love building good communities. These are two good ones and though the change will cause some to leave there is going to be a very special community here that I think is more than worth giving a try.

And from a technical standpoint things are going to improve dramatically, give it a shot.
failures art

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:24 pm
@HexHammer,
Hello Hex,

I think you should know that RG made this move on the basis of site security. While you may have enjoyed the exclusivity of your old forum, the best interest for posters and the administration (as communicated to the A2K posters) was the site security. I doubt that RG could in good coincidence reverse this decision.

A
R
T
failures art

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:25 pm
@failures art,
Oh... RG replied just before me.

A
R
T
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:32 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I paid $5,000 for the forum, it would probably run at a net loss of about $200/month alone because philosophy isn't a high-paying niche for advertising.

But look, give me a chance here. There's a reason I do that, it's because I love building good communities. These are two good ones and though the change will cause some to leave there is going to be a very special community here that I think is more than worth giving a try.

And from a technical standpoint things are going to improve dramatically, give it a shot.
Very well, I'll give it 1½ year, then I'll give it a 2nd consideration ..well maybe sooner.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:47 pm
@ehBeth,
Hi Ehbeth,
Thank you, you are welcoming, indeed. If the lights weren't so bright here and the aesthetics were nearer to what we are accustomed to, the fusion would be fine. If we can rebuild our community within your community, and stray at will, it'll work out well. My only worry is the content here (Bad language, off-thread-smut, etc). It doesn't appear to be very well controlled with regards to maturity - No disrespect to the staff.
Anyway, I think we'll all be sticking around for the time being, so, I again thank you for your kind gesture.
Have a great day Ehbeth.
Mark...