The new amalgamated philosophy forum.

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 11:28 pm
Hello and welcome to all, from all the familiar faces of the former philforum to the 100,000+ (claimed) new faces that we have joined with and who are now our new fellow thinkers and friends. If I am writing this it means that we have had a successful joining of the two sites and if you are reading this it means of course that you have had a smooth and successfully transition into what is now our new home for thinking and philosophizing.

First of all I would like to thank all the staff members, I want to thank Robert as our new owner and I want to thank Robert along with Justin who has poured his blood sweat and tears into the former philosophy forum right from the beginning and who has also being a big part along with Robert into this next step to take the forum into a whole new level. Of course all the wonderful staff members from the former philosophy forum, and last but not least, all of the staff members of the forum that we have come together with. The level of work that was put into the former philforum was never short of spectacular, these guys provided us with some of the highest quality forums on the net and I am confident that with the support of Robert along with all the staff of our new partners, the amalgamation is going to be simply magnificent and nothing short of a success to all parties involved.

This is I am sure a remarkable mile stone in the history of both forums and one that will be of momentous significance to the grand community that is now A2K. I am rather surprised by the site itself but I am sure that over time we will settle in just fine and will be deep in discussion with our new partners. This will surely become a wonderful community for all our philosophical discussions as well as much more. I look forward to interacting with you all.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 35 • Views: 10,042 • Replies: 125

jeeprs

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 11:34 pm
@Soul Brother,
helloo...where am I...Jeb r u there?...everything looks funny....what's that green button for....hello....
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 11:35 pm
@Soul Brother,
Hey there, you guys have been really great sports so far given how rough this transition has been.

I promise to work hard to make it a lot better.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 11:35 pm
@Soul Brother,
Hi I preferred the old forum layout, but be it as it-may I will try to adjust

Peace
Alan
msolga

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 11:40 pm
@Soul Brother,
Hello, Soul Brother.

(I wasn't sure which of your threads to respond to. There are now quite a few! Anyway, I chose yours, because you sounded rather friendly. Smile )

I hope you philosophers join in on at least a few of our threads, too. You are certainly most welcome to!

Greetings to you & good luck.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 11:47 pm
@Soul Brother,
Quote:
I look forward to interacting with you all.

Great to see you folk have made it, and ditto!!!
0 Replies

TuringEquivalent

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 11:55 pm
What ` s the deal ?
Soul Brother

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:02 am
@TuringEquivalent,
It is another planet, but bare with us my friend.
Jebediah

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:13 am
@jeeprs,
"Jeb r u there"

I think so...let me get back to you on that one
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:18 am
@Soul Brother,
Quote:
It is another planet, but bare with us my friend.

Hey, you might even get to like this new planet!
We think it's pretty good! Very Happy
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:36 am
@Soul Brother,
Thanks Soul Brother. I worked my ass off on the old forum trying to not only help grow the community, but keep the high level of quality that our forum had become known for. I can attest that it was not easy, but I think this merger in itself is a testament to the effort that both staff and members alike was not all for nothing. Sure, this forum is different, but in the end, it shall all be for the best. We are no longer tethered to just philosophy, and there are more people around here to discuss our other interests outside of philosophy--or ever provide our expertise for other to satiate their curiosity for philosophy.

And to Robert, as one of the staff members that was insistent on fighting change, I can say that worries were mostly unnecessary. Honestly, Able 2 Know is more of what I envisioned that the Philosophy Forum could be, and I am happy I stuck around through the transition. It is not what I expected, but not what I expected in a good way.
0 Replies

TurboLung

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:45 am
THIS IS A REALLY BAD LAYOUT NOW. The other way was a lot better. Why would you guys **** it up like this? What was the point of changing a great layout for this piece of ****? Anyway, I'm joining another forum. Bye.
Krumple

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:48 am
yeah hate to say it but i feel a lot of the people from the philo forum will bail on this site just because of it's layout. Not trying to be negative it's just too drastic of a change. Don't kill the messenger...
msolga

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:58 am
@Krumple,
This being the only forum I belong to, therefore the only layout I'm really familiar with ... what was so wonderful about your previous site's layout? (I'd love to have seen it.)
And what's the problem for you with A2K's layout?
Serious question. I really would like to know.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:00 am
@msolga,
Pretty much the same as when we went from phpbb a2k to this one, it was similar to the old a2k.
msolga

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:05 am
@Robert Gentel,
I really can't see that the old A2K was better than this. But that's just me, I guess.
I'd still like to hear from you philosophers, though. I'm interested.

0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:07 am
I am not going to complain, because of the fact that I know how much work has been done to provide these facilities, and it has been a labour of love for all concerned.

Right at this moment I am not that impressed with the new look-and-feel, but hey, life is change, and if one cannot be philosophical about it, then what have we learned. I said to dearest spouse, if the whole thing had dissappeared (heaven forbid) really I would have learned much from participating, so don't be too attached

Anyway out of respect for the folks who have put this together I will be sticking around and trying to rejoin the various dots....

I would have liked to have done some screen captures from the previous site, I think it was pretty stylish really, but hopefully moving forward, this one can come up to speed.
Victor Eremita

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:10 am
Philosophers are used to being on the ivory tower, separated from you mortals, sitting in cozy marble sofas, musing to each other, sometimes an ad hominem would escape leading to fisticuffs, but then we'd slink back into our cozy marble sofas. Now, Philosophy is on equal footing as "Home Improvement", "Business And Marketing", and "Australia". We have left the ivory tower and joined you mortals as just one of many in the crowd....
msolga

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:17 am
@jeeprs,
Hi jeeprs

It's sounding to me like you were all very committed to your old forum. Does this have something to do with some of the negative reactions to aspects like the layout, do you think?
Also perhaps the sheer size of this forum might feel a bit unwelcoming at first? If you've been used to a smaller, much more specialized one.
msolga

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:21 am
@Victor Eremita,
Quote:
Philosophers are used to being on the ivory tower, separated from you mortals, sitting in cozy marble sofas, musing to each other, sometimes an ad hominem would escape leading to fisticuffs, but then we'd slink back into our cozy marble sofas. Now, Philosophy is on equal footing as "Home Improvement", "Business And Marketing", and "Australia". We have left the ivory tower and joined you mortals as just one of many in the crowd....

Then I think this might be a well overdue experience for you guys, then!
You need to know more about the real world! Very Happy

BTW, careful about what you say about Australia. I happen to live there.
You're not some snooty bunch who think we're still living in the colonies are you?
If so, be prepared for a bit of a dust up! Wink
0 Replies