Moderators Needed for the New Philosophy Forum Group on A2K

Intrepid

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 08:10 am
@ughaibu,
I take it you aren't on the moderator short list?
ughaibu

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 08:11 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:
I take it you aren't on the moderator short list?
And you're asking me???
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 08:17 am
@ughaibu,
Quote:
The neurotic atheists who deny their reality for religious reasons, apropos free will, are the worst case of irrationality going.

That's what I meant you Philly person. So why the "Bullshit"?

"Bullshit" is hardly a word a philosopher would use on a philosophy forum.
ughaibu

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 08:19 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
"Bullshit" is hardly a word a philosopher would use on a philosophy forum.
Bullshit: http://www.amazon.com/Bullshit-Harry-G-Frankfurt/dp/0691122946
Night Ripper

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 08:22 am
@jgweed,
jgweed wrote:

Robert deserves a lot of credit for rescuing Philosophy Forum when the economic burden of supporting it became too great for its owner and preventing its complete and total disappearance from the Internet. He deserves even more for recognising that his forum software is not always the most useful for some subjects and for making Philforum Group the first actual attempt to design an alternative Community structure.

I'd love to host the forum. The only reason why I don't open my own philosophy forum is because I'd hate to go through the trouble of building up a large membership. If Justin had sent out a mass PM asking for anyone to take hold of the reins I would have gladly footed the bill. It's really not that expensive. I have my own forum twice the size of the old philosophy forum and it's only about a hundred bucks a month for a dedicated server.
spendius

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 08:23 am
@ughaibu,
It's copyrighted. So that's bullshit ain't it? Written for money.
Caroline

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 08:27 am
@Night Ripper,
Well I for one am glad he sold it, I really like it here. Making a loss on money is not good business.
ughaibu

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 08:28 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
It's copyrighted. So that's bullshit ain't it? Written for money.
Which has what to do with it? There is a book, in the philosophical literature, entitled Bullshit, accordingly, bullshit comes within the set of words which one would expect to read posted on a philosophy forum.
Night Ripper

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 08:41 am
@Caroline,
Caroline wrote:

Well I for one am glad he sold it, I really like it here. Making a loss on money is not good business.

Not everything in life needs to be a business. Somethings are just done for pure enjoyment which has value but not necessarily a monetary one. Do you have children because you think you'll make money from them? I hope not.
Caroline

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 08:46 am
@Night Ripper,
Good point NR but with all the stress involved I think maybe it stopped becoming an enjoyment. And of course I wouldn't make money out of children, I don't know how you jumped to that assumption.
ughaibu

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 08:47 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
Do you have children because you think you'll make money from them?
The main reason that AIDS related attempts to induce Africans to use rubbers will continue to fail, is that children are an economic resource. If your children refuse to work, how will your pension be financed?
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 09:10 am
@Caroline,
Caroline wrote:
And of course I wouldn't make money out of children, I don't know how you jumped to that assumption.

It's not an assumption. It's an analogy meant to illustrate the point that not everything needs to be done to make a few dollars. Don't be so defensive.
jgweed

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 09:43 am
@ughaibu,
One should distinguish between literature that calls itself philosophy---one can find all sorts of silly books in the "philosophy section" of any mass bookstore--- and genuine philosophical literature. I'm afraid Frankfurt writings belong to the former and not the latter. Surely there are far more reasoned and compelling arguments about a topic than "bullshit."
Caroline

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 09:43 am
@Night Ripper,
I wasn't being defensive, just pointing out your assumption was an illogical one directed at me, you asked me if I had children and if I would make money, I was merely answering you. We got our wires crossed.
0 Replies

ughaibu

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 09:44 am
@jgweed,
jgweed wrote:
One should distinguish between literature that calls itself philosophy---one can find all sorts of silly books in the "philosophy section" of any mass bookstore--- and genuine philosophical literature. I'm afraid Frankfurt writings belong to the former and not the latter. Surely there are far more reasoned and compelling arguments about a topic than "bullshit."
Should I take this to indicate that you cannot account for the disappearance of Night Ripper's thread?
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 10:04 am
please lets not turn this into another pissing and moaning thread about a2k or the switchover. it is quite a bit of whining about something we are getting for free.
ughaibu

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 10:06 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:
please lets not turn this into another pissing and moaning thread about a2k or the switchover. it is quite a bit of whining about something we are getting for free.
Your post is unaddressed. To which matter are you referring?
mark noble

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 10:10 am
Justin sold. Robert salvaged. There is no issue here. Robert is doing what he feels is best for the group, and he enjoys site-building. Thank you Robert!

A2K is a brilliant place to go if you wish to discuss anything and or everything. It is active, full of diversity and easily navigable.

Few of us from the philosophy forum desire such diversity, and Robert can identify with this and is trying to cater for, by installing the up and coming philosophy group.

No disrespect Caroline, but if sending a few pm's to friends to inform them of an event they may be interested in is classed as mass spamming, then you are as guilty as is anyone.

I can't speak for others on this matter. Nor can I elaborate.

There are some intelligent posters at A2K, there are some who collectively gather and attempt to discourage (trolls) and there are some who are searching for genuine answers to genuine questions.

I, for one, am not interested in the crossword, the governmental or the "Many uses of sex toys" threads etc, etc, etc. So will be posting less frequently, if at all, on the open forum. I only hope that such intrusions from said quarters are dealt with and banned by the moderators herein.

mark...

Khethil

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 10:10 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu wrote:

jgweed wrote:
it is apparent that topics need to fall under certain commonly understood and ordered subject categories to facilitate dialogs while the open tagging system in A2K does not.
Any idea what happened to Night Ripper's "rescuing free will from determinism" thread?

Is this it? (link).

Sometimes a open google search finds posts that an internal search wont'. Anyway... hope this helps, it was a rather lively thread.

Sorry for the off-topic
ughaibu

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 10:12 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:
A2K is a brilliant place to go if you wish to discuss anything and or everything. It is active, full of diversity and easily navigable.
Rubbish. Apart from the philosophy "forum", the new post page is full of word games, personal stuff or political pontificating.