Hey, Can A Woman "Ask To Get Raped"?

firefly

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 03:25 am
Rape victims often get blamed for their own rape. Sometimes they might even blame themselves.

Rape Crisis Scotland has launched the “Not Ever” campaign — the title referring to when, exactly, a rape victim is actually to blame for a rape.

Right--not ever.

The campaign focuses on some of the myths about rape, myths that the woman was "asking to be raped".

This TV ad has just begun running. It attacks the myth that a woman asks to be raped because of the way she dresses. I think it is brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h95-IL3C-Z8&feature=player_embedded

Quote:
In the context of sexual violence, aspects of women’s appearance are frequently cited as indications that they were “asking for it”. This sounds ridiculous – because it is.

Equally ludicrous is the suggestion which underpins this myth – that women desire and incite sexual violence. No woman asks to be raped – ever. It’s a simple as that. Women should not be held responsible for the behaviour of rapists or expected to base their decisions on dress around the possibility that these might lead to an attack.
http://notever.co.uk/the-campaign/

This is the message of their campaign:

Not Ever" addresses women-blaming attitudes towards rape such as claims that dressing provocatively, being drunk or flirting with men are contributory factors. Its hard-hitting approach is intended to make people stop in their tracks, and to shake out and challenge ingrained prejudices many people have towards women who have been raped.

Recent research reveals that almost one in five Scots believe a woman is partially to blame for being raped if she is wearing revealing clothing - a survey of 1,040 Scots carried out by Cello MRUK in February 2010 for the Scottish Government found that:
• 23 per cent think a woman can be at least partly responsible if she is drunk at the time of the attack
• 17 per cent thought that a woman bore some responsibility if she wore revealing clothing
• 15 per cent say there should be some burden of responsibility for rape if the women is flirting
• 8 per cent think rape can be the woman's fault if she is known to have had many sexual partners

These attitudes can make it difficult for women to speak out about being raped, because of fear of being blamed for what has happened. There are also significant concerns about the impact these attitudes might have on rape survivors' ability to access justice, in terms of attitudes which jury members might hold.

Although many people genuinely believe they wouldn't judge a rape victim by what they wear, how drunk they were, or if they had been flirting all night, they often actually do; particularly when sitting as a juror in court. Not Ever wants to prompt people to keep their judgments in check and to remember that there's only one person who is responsible for rape and it's not the victim. It doesn't matter what you wear, how many sexual partners you've had, or if you're out getting drunk with friends - no one deserves to be raped - ever.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://notever.co.uk/images/6/full/jpeg
No matter how much she's drunk...
No matter what she's wearing...
No matter if you've already kissed...
Sex without consent is rape.
If there's any question whether a woman has drunk too much to give consent, assume she hasn't given it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
We need to stop victim-blaming and assign responsibility to those whose decisions do lead to rape – perpetrators and the apologists whose woman-blaming views have assigned rape its current status as a low-risk crime. For as long the notion that women can “ask for it” or invite attack through their dress or behaviour are allowed to persist, rapists will continue to act with impunity, confident in the knowledge that their actions will receive far less scrutiny than those of the women they assault.
http://notever.co.uk/the-campaign/

What do you think of this campaign?

Do you think that video clip (of the TV ad) gets the message across?

Would it be useful to run TV ads of this nature in other countries?

How effective can a campaign like this be in actually changing attitudes and behavior?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 25 • Views: 481,565 • Replies: 11,117

Below viewing threshold (view)
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 04:47 am
If she wears a 'sandwich sign' that reads, "Rape Me" she is asking for it. Otherwise, not.
Izzie

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 05:19 am
@William,
William wrote:

Any woman who opens her private domain is inviting to be enraptured, or filled with life that only man can give whether she consciously knows it of not...

William

seriously William...

are you serious?

ENRAPTURED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FILLED WITH LIFE!!!!!!!!

so, are you saying rape would be a good, pleasant feeling....? Shocked

you are complaining about the possibility of anyone reading a private message on an internet forum and, in the same breath on a "can a woman "asked to get raped" thread, state that

William wrote:

Any woman who opens her private domain is inviting to be enraptured, or filled with life that only man can give whether she consciously knows it of not...

William

good grief - quite unbelievable!!!!!!

People never cease to amaze me.

Intrepid

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 05:34 am
@William,
William wrote:

Any woman who opens her private domain is inviting to be enraptured, or filled with life that only man can give whether she consciously knows it of not. That’s the answer, though others may offer more erroneous ones.

William

Perhaps you should join the Hawkeye10 look-a-like contest!
Mame

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 06:07 am
@William,
Rolling Eyes Drunk Rolling Eyes Drunk

Loser!
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 06:13 am
Just ask Mel Gibson - woman ask for it and deserve it all the time. (being roughed up, raped, having teeth knocked out)
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 06:17 am

Am I the only one who thinks this is a brilliant ad? It is so right on target.
Intrepid

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 06:21 am
@firefly,
It makes the point
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 06:55 am
There ARE women who are turned on by rough sex. In a sense, one might say that she was "asking to be raped". But, by definition, rape is non-consensual, so that a person who wants to play act rape IS consenting, therefore it is not rape.

No, a woman can never "ask to be raped".
JPB

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 07:01 am
@William,
Quote:
Any woman who does not, would rather die first and fight; oh my god can she ever! No man could ever fight off such an attack.

What a crock...
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 07:04 am
@William,
One does not have to personally know someone who has been raped to know that rape exists and what rape is. Just as you don't have to have a limb amputated or know somebody that did to know what amputation is.

Any woman who has had sex forced upon her without her expressed consent has been raped.

How do you know what is presented on television is dramatized compared to what happens in real life?

What do you personally know and have personally experienced, as you put it?

I don't find your original post profound. I find it abhorrent and inexcuseable.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 07:12 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

There ARE women who are turned on by rough sex. In a sense, one might say that she was "asking to be raped". But, by definition, rape is non-consensual, so that a person who wants to play act rape IS consenting, therefore it is not rape.

No, a woman can never "ask to be raped".

right on
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 07:32 am
Quote:

NEW YORK, Nov. 9, 2009
Exclusive: Rape in America: Justice Denied
A Five-Month CBS News Investigation Finds That a Staggering Number of Rape Kits Aren't Tested

(CBS) This story was written by CBS News Chief Investigative Correspondent Armen Keteyian and Investigative Producer Laura Strickler.

Nearly 90,000 women reported they were raped in the United States last year. It's estimated another 75,000 rapes went unreported. But while rape convictions are up - a five month CBS News investigation raises questions about just how many rapists are actually being brought to justice.

Valerie Neumann says she didn't expect her 21st birthday to end in rape.

"He stuck his hands down the sweatpants and was touching me up, like my shirt as well, so I kept telling him, 'no,'" she told CBS News Chief Investigative Correspondent Armen Keteyian.

It started at a bowling alley in Erlanger, Kentucky. A man she just met, a friend of a friend, bought her drink after drink. Later that night, she threw up, and passed out. Then, Valerie says, it happened.

"When I woke up the next morning, my panties and the sweatpants were down around my ankles and my bra was undone," she said.

Valerie said she realized she was raped. Reporting it the next day - a classic charge of acquaintance rape. Nearly three years later still no arrest in the case.

"I feel like, I almost fee like they're calling me a liar. That they don't believe me," Valerie said.

Rape in this country is surprisingly easy to get away with. The arrest rate last year was just 25 percent - a fraction of the rate for murder - 79 percent, and aggravated assault - 51 percent.

"When we have talked to victims, they very much so doubt that it was worth it for them to go to the police," said Sarah Tofte, US Program Researcher for Human Rights Watch. "They're incredibly disillusioned with the criminal justice system, and that sends a terrible message."

The suspect's attorney told police his client never had sex with Valerie. Yet an exam revealed "evidence of forced sexual penetration." Semen found on her underwear. Nurses took a rape kit- a collection of swabs and clothing that provide DNA evidence. The suspect provided a sample. But the DNA was never tested.

"Testing the kit is one way to affirm a victim's story," Tofte said, "and discredit the suspect's story."

A five month CBS News Investigation has found a staggering number of rape kits -- that could contain incriminating DNA evidence -- have never been sent to crime labs for testing.

At least 20,000 untested kits: 5,600 in Detroit. 3,800 in Houston. 5,100 in San Antonio, 1,100 in Albuquerque.

Many untested for years. And that's not all. At least twelve major American cities: Anchorage, Baltimore, Birmingham, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Oakland, Phoenix, San Diego said they have no idea how many of rape kits in storage are untested.

Police departments told us rape kits don't get tested due to cost - up to $1,500 a kit -- a decision not to prosecute, and victims who recant or are unwilling to move forward with a case.

Psychologist David Lisak from the University of Massachusetts has spent twenty years studying the minds of rapists.

"Somehow all we can do is take the statement from the victim. Take the statement from the alleged perpetrator and then throw up our hands because they are saying conflicting things," he said. "That's not how we investigate other crimes."

Valerie was told her rape kit wasn't tested because they didn't have the money. But when we caught up with Kenton County prosecutor, Rob Sanders, he told us something else.

Keteyian asked, "Why wasn't the rape kit tested in the Valerie Neumann case?"

"The results of the DNA test would not have made the case one way or another," Sanders said.

Sanders said his office made a "judgment call" the case was unwinnable in court -- claiming there were issues with Valerie's memory and the alcohol involved. A practice, says Lisak that often plays right into the hands of rapists.

"Predators look for vulnerable people and they prey on vulnerable people," Lisak said. And if, as a criminal justice system, we're going to essentially turn from any victim who was drinking or any victim who was in some way vulnerable - we're essentially giving a free pass to sexual predators."

Worried they were doing just that, CBS News has learned the Oakland California Police Department is now plowing through 489 untested rape kits from stranger rapes dating back six years, looking for evidence in what they believe to be "solvable cases."

The Los Angeles Police Department is testing a backlog of nearly 3,000 rape kits. LAPD's new Chief Charles Beck says efforts to reduce the backlog have "resulted in 405 hits" in the FBI DNA database.

In New York City, prosecutors are even more aggressive - testing every rape kit, even in cases of acquaintance rape - over 1,300 last year alone.

"You never know what you're going to find," said Mecki Prinz of the NY Medical Examiners Office.

The results are stunning. Today New York City's arrest rate for rape is 70 percent - triple the national average.

Prinz says testing kits in acquaintance cases can tie suspects to other attacks, "We have lots of situations where a domestic situation or an acquaintance situation is actually an indication of the male involved responsible for other rapes," she said.

"I feel like they didn't do their job to protect me and to protect everyone else," Valerie said. "I don't think it's something I'll ever forget. I don't think it's something you can forget."
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/11/09/cbsnews_investigates/main5590118.shtml

If New York City can accomplish a 70% arrest rate, which is astounding, why isn't the testing of rape kits elsewhere a higher priority? Obviously, testing these kits can make a very big difference.

Is law enforcement also making an implicit assumption that "she asked for it" if so many of these kits go untested?

It seems to me the system itself create a vicious cycle. The fewer arrests and prosecutions that take place, the more women become reluctant to even make a complaint, or want to subject themselves to the humiliation of not being taken seriously. So fewer rapes get reported, more women decide not to proceed with a case, and the true seriousness of the problem remains under-reported, causing rape to remain a low priority crime, and one that is not that difficult to get away with.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 07:35 am
@William,
You know exactly what Phoenix meant.

You are turning out to be one sad son of a bitch, William.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 07:39 am
@William,
Have you ever encountered a woman in real life? I'll help you out: they're the ones with the vaginas. You should try to meet one sometime--they're pretty neat.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 08:05 am
@William,
William wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
... No, a woman can never "ask to be raped".

Having a bit of a problem understanding your last comment “No, a woman can never “ask to be raped”? Do you mean “can ever”?

Is English your first language?
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 08:15 am
@William,
William wrote:

Hello Issie, please read what I offered again. “Any woman who.......”! Any woman who does not, would rather die first and fight; oh my god can she ever! No man could ever fight off such an attack. And yes there are extenuating circumstances too.

Another statement that I find incredulous. Again, I find it hard to believe you seriously think that no man could fight off a woman whom he was raping.

Quote:

Now please think about it. How many women have ever known that have beyond a doubt been forcibly raped?

ONE

Quote:

Please understand I am staying on topic here as to what the Op is suggesting and what I personally know and personally experienced.

I understand perfectly what you said above - and you may claim that you are on a higher level and too profound for others not up to your intellect - however, that does not deter from the fact that your oh so profound wording clearly states:

Quote:
Any woman who opens her private domain is inviting to be enraptured, or filled with life that only man can give whether she consciously knows it of not

therefore, if a woman - or a man (and yes, men do get raped too!) who does not fight the rapist, whilst in fear of their life, on some level is inviting it! Of course, in your world.......
Quote:
No man could ever fight off such an attack..

...that simply could not happen because any women could fight off the rapist. Bizarre - you are truly bizarre.

Quote:
One very close to me said she was raped once. I will expound a little later after you peruse the following site so you know how complicated it is to understand exactly what rape means, now.http://www.answers.com/topic/rape

Many misconceptions exist about rape and sexual assault. It is often assumed that rape victims are all women who have been attacked by a total stranger and forced into having sexual intercourse. In reality, sexual assault can take many forms—it may be violent or nonviolent; the victim may be male or female, child or adult; the offender may be a stranger, relative, friend, authority figure, or spouse.
http://www.answers.com/topic/rape

QUITE!

Quote:
Perhaps my comment was a bit more profound than many can understand and I can’t apologize for that because I know there are some, perhaps only a few, that do.

oh, please, no apologies, it must be difficult not having most folk understand you.

Quote:
No woman would sacrifice her most formidable weapon and be please about it if she didn’t get what she was going after. That would be a very good opportunity to bitch about it huh? Any man that is so gullible, and many are, should know this before he ever sacrifices his life to a female for just adventurous reasons. To tell you the truth, it is 'man's fault many women are that way.

... weapon...opportunity to bitch... man sacrificing his life... good grief!

Quote:
I’ll be here when you calm down a little and not so het up.

Not only do I find your comments completely bizarre, but you're terribly patronising with it.

Adieu.

0 Replies