Hey, Can A Woman "Ask To Get Raped"?

Izzie

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 08:29 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks this is a brilliant ad? It is so right on target.

Hey Firefly - the ad does make a point, but I think it's only an understandable point if one thinks the same way or "gets the point"... unfortunately, as many can see on a number of rape threads runnning at the moment - some people do actually believe women do act the way it's suggested in the first part of the ad... and the "as if" would not even register with them.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 08:47 am
@William,
William wrote:

Any woman who opens her private domain is inviting to be enraptured, or filled with life that only man can give whether she consciously knows it of not. That’s the answer, though others may offer more erroneous ones.

William

Unbelievable to see such a statement in writing! Aren't you one of the philosophers who claim to have understanding of the deeper meaning of life?
Like some of your cronies, you've been living a distorted and disturbing world
that is far removed from reality.

The answer you're offering is not only erroneous, it is a dangerous mindset
to have, and I only can hope that you do not justify any actions of yours with such a vomit inducing statement.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 09:15 am
@William,
I think I'm going to save myself some time, and just put you on ignore now.
roger

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 02:01 pm
@DrewDad,
Trust me, people will keep on quoting him.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 02:38 pm
Have he and Hawkeye been introduced? The guy is unbelievable.

Hey William... in the case of a female rape, it's the GUY that's at fault, not the woman. He can't control his BASER instincts and rationalizes it into "she's looking for it" because of what he sees. If it's your actions, then it's your fault.

Why shouldn't women (or anyone, for that matter) be able to wear what they want without fear of being attacked by someone? You see her flirting; maybe she's just being friendly or polite. But even if she's really, really flirting, that's still not a Yes, Please Rape Me.
Intrepid

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 02:47 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Have he and Hawkeye been introduced? The guy is unbelievable.

I have a feeling they may already know each other
0 Replies

Sentience

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 03:03 pm
Of course not. If you ask to get raped, it's not rape. The concepts are mutually opposed to one another.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 03:05 pm
Here is the philosophical approach
0 Replies

ABE5177

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 03:07 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Hey William... in the case of a female rape, it's the GUY that's at fault, not the woman.

how bout male on male rape, wqnna address that?
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 03:09 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
Aren't you one of the philosophers who claim to have understanding of the deeper meaning of life?
Like some of your cronies, you've been living a distorted and disturbing world
that is far removed from reality.

Those guys are no more responsible for his thinking than we are of hawkeye's and probably don't want the guilt by association any more than we would.
Intrepid

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 03:11 pm
@ABE5177,
ABE5177 wrote:

Mame wrote:

Hey William... in the case of a female rape, it's the GUY that's at fault, not the woman.

how bout male on male rape, wqnna address that?

Same standards, Bubba
Mame

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 03:53 pm
@Intrepid,
Exactly, of course - I should have said "rapist" not "guy".
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 03:57 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:

Perhaps you should join the Hawkeye10 look-a-like contest!
I am not in favor of rape, I am in favor of removing some of the recent changes in the definition of rape.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 04:08 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Those guys are no more responsible for his thinking than we are of hawkeye's and probably don't want the guilt by association any more than we would.
Thank you for this illuminating lesson of what an individual with a free mind is, I don't know what we would do without such help.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 04:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
I'm not sure what the sarcasm is directed at, but my point is that we don't think our community is monolithic and feel independent in thought from you, but when a2k and philforum merged people often made comments treating the other community monolithically.

If your point is that this is obvious I'd say that even so humans have a tendency toward reductionism to one-dimensional characters. Even if it's obvious to us upon some reflection that people are more nuanced (indeed, we often hate when we are reduced to one-dimension ourselves) this doesn't seem to stop us from the simplistic reductionism of others.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Below viewing threshold (view)
Intrepid

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 04:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

Perhaps you should join the Hawkeye10 look-a-like contest!
I am not in favor of rape, I am in favor of removing some of the recent changes in the definition of rape.

The difference being? Your reasoning seems to be lost on some of the more reasonable of us.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 04:31 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

The clear goal of these ads is to convince people to report rape. I dont think that this will work with victims, because I think that most victims who dont report make this choice out of self interest. I assume that the designers of this campaign know this, thus the real goal is to get people other than the victim to turn in rapists. It is yet another assault on the right of the victim to determine their own course of action, their own destiny. It is a new push to depower victims, done under the cover of promoting the victim.

The clear goal is for idiots who think it is ok to rape NOT to do it!

You really are a piece of work.
Intrepid

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 04:32 pm
I really need a cup of tea now.