Is this public awareness poster from the NHS offensive to women?

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 03:57 pm
http://www.godhaven.org.uk/blogimages/rapead.jpg

NHS (for non UK citizens) is the National Health Service. Our taxes paid for this poster. What are your opinions of it?

While it's true that rapists cause rape and not drunk women, are the NHS right to advise women ways to avoid the likelihood of being victims of rape?

Tricky one.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 10,432 • Replies: 79

BillRM

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 04:15 pm
@iamsam82,
Why would it be wrong to advice women or anyone else not to placed themselves at unneeded risk of harm due to the increase risk of becoming a crime victim?

Is it wrong to suggest that door and windows are keep locked or that wearing thousands of dollars of jewelry in public is not a wise thing to do?

Sorry but drinking in an unsafe environment to the point you are not aware of your surrounding or able to defend yourself be you a man or a woman is stupid.

In theory I should be able to pass out drunk in down town Miami and not need to worry about my wallet being gone but that is not how the real world happen to work.

Women who do not go to parties where they do not trust everyone there and then pass out drunk is at greater risk of being rape then women who do not do so.

Women who do not also get drunk with people they do not trust also tend to avoided the issue of whether they had or have not granted valid consent to having sex while out drinking.
iamsam82

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 04:22 pm
@BillRM,
I think I agree with you, Bill. I'm mystified as to why it's caused a minor furore over here.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 04:32 pm
@iamsam82,
Is the truth offensive?

Sometimes.

<shrug>

Don't drink til you don't know what you're doing. That is smart whether you're a man or a woman. Decreases rape. Decreases accusations of rape.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 05:34 pm
I'm not horrified, no. It's just that it is likely true the putative raper has been at the booze as well. More than one in three, for the raper? I've no idea. I'd say 60% but that's a low guess..

Perhaps they'll flip up a new poster to that effect. I'll sit and wait.

I went to bars for a couple of years in girl groups, dumb re any driving, but no actual trouble. I met a guy I liked and liked me back, and we dated and so on. I broke it off but went back, and we mutually broke it off, re religion, but we learned from each other, we had the same qualms. I think we were probably sustenance for each other, that year. I called him some years later when I needed legal help, me then married, he did help, greatly, re, ah, my aunt.

All of us (he with now wife) went out for dinner, a lot of laughter happening.. He's still my ex's lawyer. (no, not re our break up, but re business foo)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 06:01 pm
@ehBeth,
The same to men, as you said.

Show me the poster.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 06:06 pm
If a woman is out of her skull with booze no wonder creeps will try to take advantage of her
ehBeth

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 06:32 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
That's no excuse, RF, no excuse at all.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 06:36 pm
@ehBeth,
Romeo's post disturbs me and I'm hard to disturb.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 07:00 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:

The problem here is I did not read in his post that he was granting any excuses for some "creeps", in his own word taking advantage of the situation of a drunken woman not that doing so is in any way right.

He just stated that it is no wonder or surprising that creeps would take advantage of a woman in that condition.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 07:19 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

actually it matters....it is not in your interest nor the collectives if you make yourself easy to victimize. This nonsense of alleged offense when we encourage people to do what they can to avoid becoming victims needs to stop.
chai2

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 07:25 pm
I don't know my feelings on this yet.

What if the ad said "1 out of 5, or 10 (or whatever number) of reported rapes happen when the woman was dressed in a seductive (sexy, revealing, etc) manner?

People would complain, saying a woman isn't asking to be raped because of her dress, and can dress any way she wants

Well, a drinking wouman isn't asking to be raped either, and can drink if she wants (as long as she doesn't drive)

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 07:55 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
People would complain, saying a woman isn't asking to be raped because of her dress, and can dress any way she wants

Well, a drinking wouman isn't asking to be raped either, and can drink if she wants (as long as she doesn't drive)

this should be easy for you....getting super blitzed when you are around people you can not trust ( as evidenced by the fact that they raped you) is never a good idea. The practice should be discouraged. We need to be able to survive our environment, when you dress slutty you can always push guys off if they get too fresh, you are never in any actual danger, that is the difference between dressing as a slut and getting passed out (or near) drunk. As for these women who have a couple of drinks and agree to **** guys they would not do sober: no crime has taken place, if they dont like the choices they make after drinking then they should not drink.
BillRM

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 08:09 pm
@chai2,
Quote:

Sure she can drink/get drunk but telling her that if she do so in unsafe environments she is greatly increasing her chance of being rape is both the truth and a useful warning.

No difference then telling the public that you should not be out walking in a lighting storm even it is your right to do so it is damn unwise.

Can not believe how irrational people are over the subject of suggesting to women that they do not placed themselves at far greater risks of rape by their actions.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 08:27 pm
@chai2,
Rape is a power issue, not a sexuality issue. I simply don't believe that women ''invite'' rape by way of their clothing choices. Some men might later use that as their ''excuse'' or ''provocation'' if they are caught and charged with rape, but I'm not buying it. Not at all.

If a woman can't defend herself (whether verbally or physically) from rape because she's drunk, I'm not going to suggest that the rapist had any kind of right to rape her. That's a no go.

However, I do think we all have some responsibility to protect ourselves. and being drunk to the point of not being able to defend yourself - I think that's just plain stupid ... and if the poster smartens two or three women up and stops them from drinking too much, I'll take the poster as a win.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 08:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
. We need to be able to survive our environment, when you dress slutty you can always push guys off if they get too fresh, you are never in any actual danger, that is the difference between dressing as a slut and getting passed out (or near) drunk.

exactly
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 08:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
It is still not an excuse for rape, and that is 100% how I read RF's post.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 08:32 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Nobody is making excuses for those who rape, people are making excuses for those who make themselves easy victims.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 08:33 pm
That is all very practical given stuff happening to women who drink too much or even those who don't, those 2/3s, but I want to see the NO poster re men who drink too much and rape women (or others).
BillRM

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 08:34 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:

Strange as I had read the same damn post a numbers of times now and do not see any such excusing of rape in the posting.
0 Replies