If you were President...

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 10:03 pm
Okay, this is something we've all thought about at one time or another so here goes.

"If you were the President of the United Sates what would you do to fix the current state of this country?"

[SIZE="1"]this questions goes to those Brits as well...[/SIZE]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,100 • Replies: 169
No top replies

DiversityDriven

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 10:11 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;53861 wrote:
Okay, this is something we've all thought about at one time or another so here goes.

"If you were the President of the United Sates what would you do to fix the current state of this country?"

Quote:
this questions goes to those Brits as well.
I think the brits have meddled in our affairs too much. It's what got them kicked out the first time.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 10:13 pm
@DiversityDriven,
DiversityDriven;53865 wrote:
I think the brits have meddled in our affairs too much. It's what got them kicked out the first time.

You don't undestand the concept of a hypothetical question, do you?
DiversityDriven

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 10:14 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Concet, whats that?
0 Replies

DiversityDriven

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 10:17 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;53866 wrote:
You don't undestand the concet of a hypothetical question, do you?
Ah, concept, sure i do.
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 10:33 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
If I were preseident I would focus on:

FOREIGN POLICY:
First off i would take our soldiers out of this war that is draining our money and killing our soldiers. I would try to improve relations with all nations but i would mostly focus on our major trading parter China, and then i would try to improve relations with Mexico and Canada. Improving how the world views america has many benefits, including economical beneifits.

EDUCATION:
I would remove summer break from schools and compensate with longer weekens and more short breaks. The original reason for summer breaks was so that school children could help their family work on the farm. the Summer break has out-lived it's original purpose. Without the summer break children would not forget so much of what they learned. I would also put all money that would of otherwise be spent on the war and put it towards funding schools. The hope is the a better educated generation will be a more prospherous one, education will pay off in the long run.

SECULARISM:
As a secularists it is my duty to enforce the seperation of church and state. I would do this by removing "in god we trust" and fr the pledge of alledgance i would replace "One nation under god" with "One nation under Canada"....lol. I would also ban prayar from congressional sessions so that our governments neutrality on religion is clear. If I am president I shall favor no religion nor shall i favor non-religion.

CRIME:
I would extend the sentance for repeat offenders, but mostly I will focus on the actual cause of crime: Poverty. Hopefully be putting more money into education and removing summer breaks I will be able to effectively lower crime. I would also legalize prostitution, the reason for doing this is because I believe it would be a source of releif of sexual urges from potential sex offenders who might otherwise relieve their sexual tension with rape. Also by legalizing prostitution i hope to create taxable jobs which would pump some money into our economy. This would also limit jail overcrowding.

ECONOMY:
As described in other focus areas i would improve the economy by improving education, legalizing prostitution, and by pulling out of Iraq, which would put some serious money back into our economy. I would eliminate wasteful spending, and I would back our money with a standardize mineral(silver,gold etc..) which would stop the decline of the dollar.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 05:25 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;53861 wrote:

That's not his job. He possesses one third of governmental power, and is charged with enforcing the laws Congress passes, and running foreign policy. That's it. The President is not THE GOVERNMENT. Too many of us think he is because one guy serves as a better scapegoat than 555 Congressman. The Sheeple can be goat-like.:no:
Pinochet73

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 05:27 am
@Pinochet73,
Here's a more appropriate question: "If you were DICTATOR, Pinochet, what would you do?"

You don't even want to know. Very Happy
DiversityDriven

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 07:53 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
He's make a better dictator then pres.
Quote:
As a secularists it is my duty to enforce the seperation of church and state.
First show where it is in our Constitution?
Quote:
I would also ban prayar from congressional sessions
He don't have the power to ban anything. I guess he has a problem understanding "or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" Talk about bush overstepping, LOL. Is it time to exclude religion so he can claim how secular we are, i mean 80/85% of this country is spiritual and probably always has been. He's mad for them saying prayers before sessions begin, when it was our forefathers that probably started the practice?
Quote:
so that our governments neutrality on religion is clear.
What is clear is. We have 100% freedom to practice as we see fit, with no governmental interference. This includes the president. We have this 12/7 365 day a years. Whether we are in school or in the halls of Congress. For some reason he would like to restrict us, wonder why? Freedom of religion doesn't mean freedom FROM religion.
Sabz5150

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 08:45 am
@DiversityDriven,
DiversityDriven;53890 wrote:
He's make a better dictator then pres.First show where it is in our Constitution?

The establishment clause. Basically says the gov't cannot support or restrict any form of religion. That means freedom OF and FROM. The government cannot pass laws with religious intent or for religious purposes.

Quote:
He don't have the power to ban anything. I guess he has a problem understanding "or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" Talk about bush overstepping, LOL. Is it time to exclude religion so he can claim how secular we are, i mean 80/85% of this country is spiritual and probably always has been. He's mad for them saying prayers before sessions begin, when it was our forefathers that probably started the practice?

So there wouldn't be a problem with a Muslim congressman praying to Mecca during this time? Again, would there be a problem if a congressman were to simply kick back and let everyone else talk to magic man?

As for our forefathers... James Madison wasn't too hip on the idea.

Quote:
What is clear is. We have 100% freedom to practice as we see fit, with no governmental interference. This includes the president. We have this 12/7 365 day a years. Whether we are in school or in the halls of Congress. For some reason he would like to restrict us, wonder why? Freedom of religion doesn't mean freedom FROM religion.

It most certainly does.

You wanna pray at school? Fine, the flagpole's outside, hold hands and talk to magic man there like normal. I won't stop you, I promise. However that's where it stays. It does not get included in public school curricula in any form or fashion. That includes the science classes for all you cdesign proponentsists.

You forget that the same rules that allow you to pray are the ones that keep you from forcing it upon others. The government is no more allowed to support religion than they are to stop it. No school supported prayer, no laws based on the Bible, no ID/Creationism in the schools, none of it. If you want to exercise your religious freedoms, you are free to do so... there are even places built for this purpose! However there are places where it is not allowed... primarily where people have different beliefs.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 11:12 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Crime

all Murderers, Repeat Rapists, and 3rd conviction violent felons, who's guilt is backed up with DNA evidence, would be sentenced to death after a final review scheduled for one year after their conviction. The only form of death penalty allowed would be hanging as it is energy and cost friendly. This law would be retroactive.

Standard inmates would only be eligible for parole after completing a reform program which would entail general education, English lessons if applicable, a class which studies the effects of crime on victims, and a program wherein inmates are taken to garbage dumps to collect and sort recyclables.

All workout equipment in the gym's would be replaced with stationary bikes designed for the purpose of generating electricity.

Energy

Commit America to electricity through Solar, Wind, Nuclear, & clean coal. The interjection of clean coal would supply the US with thousands of jobs as the world's leading producer of Coal is the USA. Pass laws mandating some Solar and Wind technology be present on all new homes built with a market value of over $150,000.

Proliferate clean coal technology to the world, then sell them our coal and create "Coalpec". Remove long standing free pass on emissions laws given to large trucks.

Military

Expand Missile defense throughout NATO and declare and end to the age of Nuclear threat

Decrease US presence in places like Germany, Japan, and the UK by 50%

Immigration

Put a physical fence over both northern and southern borders. Pass laws limiting social security and food stamp benefits to illegals to bare minimums. Remove in state tuition for Illegals and pass laws holding local politicians accountable for "sanctuaries"

Give all illegals currently in the US a 60 day window to come out of hiding and register for a path to citizenship, doing this only after the border is secured. Those who fail to declare themselves become fugitives from the law.

Pass law making illegal immigration a class IV Felony.

Offer incentive program to those wishing to Immigrate in the future or those currently registered via 60 day window wishing to expedite their citizenship. Learn English and serve no less then 6 years in the armed forces and your process will be expedited.

Declare English the national language

Constitution

Pass amendment making the "Free Market Society" concept protected. Thus making "Government Health care, etc" unconstitutional forever.

Taxes

Convert All Income Taxes at St/Federal level to sales tax, therein eliminating the benefit of working "under the table" and leveling the playing field for the honest man. Higher % would be present on luxury items while unprepared (thing that would qualify for purchase by food stamp) food would be tax free

"Oh the world would swing, oh if I were king"
-Tom Petty
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 02:49 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;53898 wrote:
Crime

All workout equipment in the gym's would be replaced with stationary bikes designed for the purpose of generating electricity.

LOL, I like that Very Happy
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 02:58 pm
@DiversityDriven,
DiversityDriven;53890 wrote:
show where it is in our Constitution?

establishement clause.

Quote:
He don't have the power to ban anything.

He can propose amendments or bills which would ban certain things.

Quote:
I guess he has a problem understanding "or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" Talk about bush overstepping, LOL. Is it time to exclude religion so he can claim how secular we are, i mean 80/85% of this country is spiritual and probably always has been.

It really doesn't matter what the majority of americans believe, it's the governments duty to remain neutral on the issue of religion. Also the establishment clause would prevent any religious icons or practices from government property.

Quote:
He's mad for them saying prayers before sessions begin, when it was our forefathers that probably started the practice?

james madison certainly wouldn't promote such a thing neither did Jefferson.

Quote:
What is clear is.

?

Quote:
We have 100% freedom to practice as we see fit, with no governmental interference. This includes the president.

except on government property, fr the same reason the 10 commandments can't be on government property nor can a manorah or muslim prayer.

We have this 12/7 365 day a years. Whether we are in school or in the halls of Congress. For some reason he would like to restrict us, wonder why? Freedom of religion doesn't mean freedom FROM religion.[/QUOTE]

look of the definition of the word "of"
0 Replies

scooby-doo cv

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 03:00 pm
@DiversityDriven,
DiversityDriven;53865 wrote:

quite right too ! although most of the leaders at that time were of british ancestry :thumbup:
0 Replies

scooby-doo cv

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 03:05 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;53879 wrote:
Here's a more appropriate question: "If you were DICTATOR, Pinochet, what would you do?"

You don't even want to know. Very Happy

BOMB THE LOT OF THEM :wtf:
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 03:08 pm
@scooby-doo cv,
We already know what happened the last time pinochet was a dictator.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 03:57 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;53906 wrote:
LOL, I like that Very Happy

I'm full of good ideas and always think in terms of "two birds with one stone"
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 07:07 pm
@scooby-doo cv,
scooby-doo;53910 wrote:
BOMB THE LOT OF THEM :wtf:

Look to the sky, and what do you see?
Tons upon tons of BOMBS, pouring down on me.:drive:
scooby-doo cv

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 11:06 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;53924 wrote:
Look to the sky, and what do you see?
Tons upon tons of BOMBS, pouring down on me.:drive:

As long as they pour down on you :thumbup:
Sabz5150

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 01:21 pm
@Silverchild79,
* Increase spending on technology and research by one or two orders of magnitude, if not more.

* Eliminate so-called "faith-based initiatives" outright. This funding instead goes straight to law enforcement and education.

* Eliminate No Child Left Behind and increase teacher pay.

* Murderers go straight to the electric chair. Express lane style. We will waste no time with you. Rapists, abusers, pedophiles, molesters and other violent criminals get ONE reprieve. Violate again and you're in the express lane. Money saved by not housing these people goes straight into law enforcement and education.

* Legalize marijuana and put it under the same category as alcohol. Taxes and such from sales will be pumped directly into law enforcement and education.

* Focus on RENEWABLE energy sources.

* Get all of our nuclear reactors online at max efficiency.

* Increase research and development on sustainable fusion power.

* Get things moving on replacing the Space Shuttle.

* Eliminate RealID.

* Enforce gun registration (not restriction) and require education on firearms and rifles.

* Outlaw lobbying. This isn't ******* NASCAR.

* Warrantless wiretapping ends. If you need to tap a line quick, the law allows you to do so, but you MUST obtain a legal warrant thereafter. If a warrant is not issued for *ANY* reason, none of the information acquired can be used for any reason whatsoever. Also under the same circumstance, the suspect shall be informed of the wiretap and will have the choice of taking the information for themselves or having it destroyed with ZERO copies made. The reason for the wiretap shall be disclosed. This includes voice *AND* data communications of ALL forms.

* Relinquish control of the TLD servers.

* If you are in this country illegally, you are booted. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200. Anything you have purchased or any money you have made while in this country illegally will be confiscated and used to pay for your trip home. Amnesty? Yeah, right... if you wanna come back here and do it right, we'll welcome you with open arms.

* Corporations found to be hiring illegals will be fined HEAVILY. Corporations *knowingly* hiring illegals are fined even heavier and/or lose their corporate status instantly.

* Iraq. Two choices. (1) We get the hell out and say screw that part of the world. (2) We do a REAL surge (think Normandy) and wipe the insurgency out with extreme prejudice. Then we get the hell out and say screw that part of the world.

* Continue to dismantle our nuclear arms. Somebody's gotta start doing it and if we want to be the planet's role model, it has to be us.

* Torture... excuse me, "Enhanced interrogation" ends. Again, we're the role model. If you don't think people should gripe about waterboarding, then you shouldn't gripe about what methods "they" use. Anything else is hypocrisy.

* Reduce our military presence around the world. Use these forces locally to enforce the borders and coastlines.

* Levy a tax upon corporations that outsource. If you're sneaking from Uncle Sam's stash, don't be surprised when he sticks his hand in your pocket. Don't like it? Give those jobs to Americans. Exceptions are granted for partnerships with international corporations who bring jobs to America.

Well... that's a start. Vote for me!
0 Replies