Neil D

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:48 pm
@sometime sun,
You have to be one of the sweetest, kindest people I have ever met. I dont know exactly what it is...but I do sense something about you that makes you very unique and special. And I felt badly for you in reading your initial posts here. I know this has been a difficult transition for most, whereas myself being a less frequent poster than most am less affected, but still did prefer the old forum. I will say this robert seems to be willing to bend over backwards for people, and I think is the main developer of the site. So he may take it in any direction he wishes.

anyways,
Sometimes sun, sometimes rain.
davidm

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:56 pm
@G-Thomson,
Well, when it gets up again, I will send you an invite. Smile

In the meantime we are reassembling the group at another site, The Galilean Library I mentioned, if you are interested in joining us there.
Neil D

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:57 pm
@mark noble,
Why thank you Mark.
Good to see you again.
Have an extraordinary evening, and everything, always. Sir.
Neil
0 Replies

lazymon

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:57 pm
@sometime sun,
What what?! this is my first post on the new forum, what is up with the un user friendly format? I am so lost lol
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:58 pm
@davidm,
We're working on that davidm. And we eat our own dog food here too, we need the groups urgently for our own staff forums.

I suspect we'll have something (initially rough) ready soon.
G-Thomson

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:04 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I would just like to say that Robert, you have been a star in all this commotion.
While I would have like PF to have remained the way it was, change is change and I am deeply appreciative of the hard work you are putting into this operation.
Thank you.
sometime sun

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:13 pm
@Neil D,
Neil phil wrote:

Sometimes sun, sometimes rain.

To much and you'll need an umbrella for both. (sun smiles sadly)
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:14 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Because, frankly, it doesn't "feel" like a community anymore. It feels like the PF community was assimilated by this large network of discussions. The focus of a2k is no longer philosophy, but includes such topics as "television", "food and drink", "relationship help"....

The thing is, we had already made our community at the old site, and it was a pretty good one. Then to have this happen with no warning or discussion...well...that had nothing to do with a community. It was just part of someone's plan to buy up successful, special-interest forums and then dump them into this huge forum, without regard for the members' feelings on the change. As for security issues, there are hundreds of perfectly secure vBulletin boards out there that aren't getting hacked, so I don't buy that as the main reason for this move. It was what you intended to do all along, that much is clear.
sometime sun

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:15 pm
@lazymon,
It is great to see you, it is only un-user friendly until you make friends with it.
Please for the sake of those who will miss you give it a try.
Where ever you go let us know.
I used to have a Stafy in the family
0 Replies

Neil D

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:16 pm
@Pangloss,
Seems like the bandwidth requirements would be fairly low. Unless a great number of people are watching videos. I never watch any. Other than that its mostly just text being uploaded/downloaded.

The most valued and important resource would be the database. I think they are primarily using My Sql, which runs on the linnux apache web server. If I remember right. Ive only dealt with microsoft products in the past, although I did have red hat linnux installed on one of my computers a while back. Cant say I liked it much and had no reason to keep using it.

Anyway its a nice thought you have, im just not sure how practical it is. Be interesting to see what other users think.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:19 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss,

Getting hacked changed timing, not overall plans. I have not ever claimed otherwise. We just had planned to do this a lot better, with more of the communication you legitimately fault us for lacking.

And yes, it's possible to run a secure VB install, but we had an install that had been hacked twice and with limited human resources we had to make a decision on how to best plug the serious hole on our server.

But that is small fry about timing, I get that you object to the merge beyond matters of timing and I think you raise legitimate concerns about community culture. It's a delicate balance needed between cozy and vibrant to get these things right, and we have some pretty big changed planned aimed at helping strike that balance (groups is a good example, allowing for cozy microcosms within a vibrant community) and I think I am up to the challenge. I hope that more of you give me the opportunity and I wish I could have better engaged the philforum community before this.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:19 pm
@G-Thomson,
Have a look at the original writing forum,

http://able2know.org/forum/original_writing/

click on creative writing
Pangloss

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:24 pm
@Neil D,
A new forum is entirely doable, and this happens quite often when old forums get shut down from time to time.

The main issues are that, 1) someone or people will need to pay for the server, domain, vBulletin software, and anything else that comes up. Hours spent working on the forum by mods/admins are essentially an economic loss 2) this abrupt change has probably already resulted in the loss of many old PF members. Some may never log-in here to find out about any new site. Others might be so put-off by what's gone on to where they just move on altogether. Without a core contributing group of some of the older members, there can be no forum...the members make the content, and the content makes the forum.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:25 pm
@G-Thomson,
Thanks. This (building knowledge sharing community) has been my favorite hobby for a long time and a lot of other people do this as a labor of love.

This kind of transition will always have rough spots, and this one comes with some extra ones based on timing being forced, but the folks that stick around here are going to enrich our already very vibrant community and the tech side of things, which is irrelevant in comparison, is only going to get better because this is what we dream of doing in our spare time.
0 Replies

lazymon

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:26 pm
sorry whats the reply to all thing
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:27 pm
@Pangloss,
I do that kind of thing for fun, and I am more than willing to pay the costs and do the work, you know. Just saying.
0 Replies

G-Thomson

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:28 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Have a look at the original writing forum,

http://able2know.org/forum/original_writing/

click on creative writing

Thanks very much!
I'll have a wee peek.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:29 pm
@lazymon,
lazymon wrote:

sorry whats the reply to all thing

It doesn't link back to a particular post, such as the @lazymon at the top of this post goes back to your post.
lazymon

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:29 pm
Drunk Twisted Evil

I found the smillies... I think the other forum had better ones...
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:31 pm
@lazymon,
Show me some you guys like (that I can use) and I'll add/change them.
0 Replies