Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:08 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

Yes, Robert, you are right. However, I'm not sure if you understand just how hard this is for some of us. I mean, we are going from having an entire forum dedicated to philosophy, to being 1 out of 48 topics on a website that is more akin to a message board. It's tough losing the community, it's tough losing the cohesion we had on the other site. Please don't think that the people that show any sort of hesistance are just instinctively rejecting the place. It's hard for a lot of us, and please don't downplay that.

But even with that said, yes, most of us *are* going to give it a chance, and I, like most, am excited to meet all the new members. We'll march in with open arms, but I just hope all of you show understanding as to where us senior members from philosophy forum are coming from.

Believe me, he understands.

On the OLD version of A2K, I conversed exclusively in the Politics forum. I probably had 15 thousand posts in that forum alone over the last several years. When the new version came out, I was caught unawares and was shocked and upset. RG heard people like me bitching for WEEKS.

Now I like the new version, and it has opened my horizons to many topics and conversations that I wouldn't have had before. Give it a shot and I bet you will too.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:09 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss wrote:

PF's content was sold though, and now the inevitable has happened.

Is this to say I don't own my own stuff?
I already posted a whole thread from PF into another forum.
Where ever I end up my stuff is coming with me.
sometime sun

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:11 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Great to see you again.
Keep in touch
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:17 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
Yes, Robert, you are right. However, I'm not sure if you understand just how hard this is for some of us.

I do understand, Zetherin, I really do. I've watched this cycle many times.

I know how we are going to lose some, and I'm just trying to appeal to give us a chance, because having watched this cycle I know that just getting used to where things are here is 90% of the problem and will go away in 4 weeks.

As an example, a lot of the other people here on a2k saying to give it a chance are people I had to make similar appeals to after big contextual changes.

I'm not trying to downplay the culture shock I foisted on you guys, but I am saying that I take this stuff seriously and want to do what I can to make this a worthy online home for you guys, but I do need a chance to do so and can't make it perfect overnight.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:20 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun wrote:
Is this to say I don't own my own stuff?

For a simple, no-nonsense, version of our legal policies on content:

Members own the copyright and are responsible for their submissions. We have a perpetual license to display the content in our mediums.

In short, you own the content, but once you put it here we have a permanent right to display it (and modify it as we see fit, which really means we may remove it etc).

We don't want any more legal right to the content than we need to operate the forum, so we just need the right to display your submissions here (so you can't post something and sue us for having it online) and to edit the content (e.g remove spam) if we see fit on our site.

We don't, however, make any claim to copyright, or try to own your content.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:26 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun wrote:

Yes you must let us know where you end up, but give it some time please mark, spend some time looking over the other forums they have, they have a wealth of reference material we can sink our teeth into.
Please stay a while.
You are one of the few who will make the decision for me.
It really is not all that big either.
A lot of the other forums they have here we already had or were just starting.
And they will have blogs and groups soon.
It is just the presentation that gives it the illusion of vastness.

Hi Sun,
I'm going to give it a chance, It's hard moving home, but if I do, you'll be in my personal luggage.
Shine On.
Mark...
0 Replies

G-Thomson

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:28 pm
Just want to let everyone know that I'll be staying right where I am. With all the great people I've spoken to on PF, it's a bit of a shame to jump ship to another website and lose everyone.
I will be here, and I hope other members are willing to stick with the community we've built.
Neil D

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:35 pm
@Khethil,
Probably not with the old domain name(philosophyForum.com), that is likely owned by this site now. Good domain names are very difficult to come by also, as most of the good ones are taken. Its questionable what became of the code(javascript,html, etc,etc) that made PhilForm what it was. A while back i used to develop web sites, and did some programming in c++. Not set up for it anymore though. And the work involved is quite extensive. If i remember right, first you would have to acquire a domain name for the old forum(use the same if available), and then FTP(or whatever is used now) all the forum code up to a new server that implements MY SQL or SQL server for all the data. Or course all the data was sold with the site. Only way it seems it could be done, is that RG would have to agree to this since he owns all of what was philform, Sorry if this is a bit sketchy, i didnt sleep much and im not in a very good frame of mind...i guess maybe i should go make some coffee.
sometime sun

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:39 pm
@G-Thomson,
I don't know where everyone else is.
There should have been more of us by now.
I don't want to start a list but we are missing quite a few.
And just in case they read this but have decided not to stay, I implore them to let us all know where they are going and that they are okay.
mark noble

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:40 pm
@Neil D,
Hi Neil,
Glad you made it.
Best wishes.
Mark...
Leonard

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:50 pm
It's great to see that plenty of people have made it. Hopefully any confusions are resolved quickly.
0 Replies

Twirlip

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:52 pm
@sometime sun,
Am I the only one who likes the white background? Is this Heaven?

Is there an option to have times displayed according to local time zone? I thought I remembered selecting an option of GMT + automatic DST correction, but it looks as if I will still have to select this option manually, under Preferences. (On the plus side, I like the fact that days and months are displayed by name, instead of in the U.S. numerical format.)
Leonard

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:55 pm
@Twirlip,
There should be an option to change time zone in My Preferences (at the bottom of any page) if your time zone from Philosophy Forum isn't the one you have on here.
sometime sun

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:56 pm
@Neil D,
Great to know you are here at least for the time being, keep us all in the loop as to where you end up landing.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:57 pm
@Leonard,

there is no auto-adjust for daylight savings...
sometime sun

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:04 pm
@Twirlip,
Excellent you are here, another sigh of relief.
It may take a little getting used to but it does seem roomy,
Moving to a mansion from a witches cottage, we couldn't take all the plants.
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:33 pm
I'm not telling anyone to "reject" this community. There's nothing wrong with this community for what it is -- a very large, diverse arrangement of discussion topics lumped into one site. That's fine if that's what you want, but most of us joined PF for the specialized discussion that it offered regarding philosophy.

As for a new site...

Of course the old content, I'm assuming, is not ours to claim for a new site. The old domain would be off-limits too. But we can simply come up with a catchy new domain, rent server space somewhere that would be adequate for a medium-sized forum such as PF (any of the old mods have any idea of monthly bandwidth requirements?), and then start up a new forum using the same (well, similar) vBulletin software as the old one.

I'm not saying reject this place...just realize that it wouldn't be too difficult to have our PF back, if that's what the members really want. The old content would be gone, the domain name would be different...but everything else could be the same (or better). In fact, I'd like to see a new version add science discussion forums.
davidm

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:37 pm
I was a newcomer to Philosophyforum, just within the last month or so, but I was impressed by it. The discussion level was generally high, there were a lot of members and discussions, and I was allowed to open a social group for creative writers which got off to a strong start thanks to sometime sun, Mr. Kitten, Chad and others.

This, though ... I don't know. Maybe I'll feel better if the social groups are restored. The whole feel, appearance and general something of this place seems far below Philosophyforum, which in addition to all its other attributes was brillianty designed, both visually and for purposes of navigation. This, to say the least, is not.

Anyhow, my main online home has always the Galilean Library, and the only drawback there is that the community is fairly small and you don't always get the level of interaction that you might like. But that's probably where I'll primarily continue to hang out, even while coming here. That would have been the case even if this change had not been made.

I do hope at least all in the creative writing group will make it over to the Galilean Library so we can continue those threads, in the current absence of the social groups here. Smile
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:38 pm
@Pangloss,
But why not try to make your community here? For example, we are going to be releasing custom groups soon, which are like hosted forums (and will more closely approximate the old-school forums) and you guys can run those how you see fit.

But as to the requirements, the bandwidth isn't as much of an issue as server load. I'd say that the hosting requirements would run about $99-$200/month for the forum and about $300 for the software.

But again, I'm willing to try to make this a worthy home for you guys, and I hope that more of you stick around to see what kind of community we can build.
G-Thomson

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:42 pm
@davidm,
Ah, I must have missed the Creative Writing club. I would have loved to have joined it.
Hopefully it will be present here too. Smile