mister kitten

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:03 pm
How do we know when the threads we are in have been replied to?
0 Replies

Dosed

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:05 pm
Kayla is here and alive.
Also a bit scared.
Someone comfort me. Sad
Dosed

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:06 pm
Also, can we all follow one another or be friends or something? It'll feel more like home. Smile
Zetherin

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:09 pm
@Dosed,
Kayla, I don't know what to say. We've all lost a great thing. I can't believe philosophy forum is gone. I've been sitting here for the last twenty minutes dazed in disbelief.

I'm trying to give this place a chance, though.
sometime sun

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:11 pm
@mark noble,
Yes you must let us know where you end up, but give it some time please mark, spend some time looking over the other forums they have, they have a wealth of reference material we can sink our teeth into.
Please stay a while.
You are one of the few who will make the decision for me.
It really is not all that big either.
A lot of the other forums they have here we already had or were just starting.
And they will have blogs and groups soon.
It is just the presentation that gives it the illusion of vastness.
sometime sun

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:15 pm
@Dosed,
Here for comfort dear heart.
It seems bigger on the outside than on the inside.
An inverted T.A.R.D.I.S.
Any thing you are mixed up about post your question here as the members and or staff here are being very pleasant and helpful.
Scream out loud, don't keep it bottled up.
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:16 pm
@Dosed,
Yes I think there is a function but I don't know how it works.
If and when either of us figures it out, we can rekindle.
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:17 pm
@Zetherin,
Please Zetherin it is actually a very well structured program, give it a chance or let us know where you land.
Does this mean you are no longer a moderator?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:19 pm
the first thing i would suggest you guys do is start following all your former philosophy friends, then you can use the My Friends tab to see those folks posts, which means as others find older threads and tag them philosophy, i'm pretty sure in a short period of time you guys can have your old group back together again, in the mean time, we won't bite, and i gather some of you folks are neil gaiman fans so you have to be great people
chai2

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:24 pm
@Justin,
Justin wrote:

Tea anyone?

Sure, I'd love some.
0 Replies

Dosed

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:25 pm
@djjd62,
I agree. I'm going to start "following" anyone that I recognize. I think if this caught on it it'd feel a bit nicer as we haven't completely lost our ties.
Khethil

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:29 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
Kayla, I don't know what to say. We've all lost a great thing. I can't believe philosophy forum is gone. I've been sitting here for the last twenty minutes dazed in disbelief.

I'm with ya Brother... been trying to keep an open mind since I logged on this morning. I guess for me, the idea that I spend thousands of hours not just only posting, but researching, doing reviews and building relationships only to find that my intellectual material can be sold and used without my consent.. is just a bit tough to swallow.

Zetherin wrote:
I'm trying to give this place a chance, though.

Yea me too - just a bit hard to start putting my faith back into yet another place.

Hang in there!
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:31 pm
@Dosed,
We'll also try to import your friend connections from the old software soon (maybe tonight).
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:39 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
chat

If people really want to use a chat feature, I'll put up a quick solution and work on a better one.

Quote:
friending (you can only friend watch here using a following feature)

It seems more flexible here, can you explain what the other one did that this doesn't?

Quote:
post count

We have that.

Quote:
thanked count

This exists as a vote total but is hidden, it needs more work before we relase it.

Quote:
thread subscriptions

We have this, and will import the old email update subscriptions.

Quote:
thread monitoring

Not sure what you mean by this, but if you explain it I can let you know if we have it, or if it's planned.

Quote:
blogs
groups

These will come. Groups first.
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:40 pm
@Zetherin,
I have seen other forums utilize a sort of common rights agreement, whereby users, admins, and site owners/operators all co-own the rights to the content of the forum. If a future forum were to utilize such a policy, what has happened to PhilosophyForum could not happen again. PF's content was sold though, and now the inevitable has happened.

What's certain is that the members of the forum were the source of the forum's content, and thus its great intellectual, and meager financial value. Now the same members may go on to create new value at a place of their own choosing, and to their own satisfaction; or they may be assimilated by this huge board, where philosophy is one of a myriad of topics, and where the end result of their work (forum layout, colors, features, etc) is not up to par.

With a group of mods/senior members from the old forum, and some collective knowledge of forum and server administration, we could reboot the site. You know; the site that was supposed to be devoted to focused discussion on "PHILOSOPHY - SCIENCE - RELIGION". Wink The old site had received donations because it contained what the members wanted; a reboot could too. And then all we need is a few people with knowledge and some time to see it through...
Dosed

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:40 pm
@Robert Gentel,
excellent!
I have to say I'm really going to miss the chat feature. It allowed for a greater connection between users and a more friendly atmosphere altogether.
For those of you I chatted with and wish to continue our good times in an instant-message kind of context, I have my facebook linked in my profile. I'm also on msn. Ask me if you'd like the contact info.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:44 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss wrote:
With a group of mods/senior members from the old forum, and some collective knowledge of forum and server administration, we could reboot the site. You know; the site that was supposed to be devoted to focused discussion on "PHILOSOPHY - SCIENCE - RELIGION". Wink The old site had received donations because it contained what the members wanted; a reboot could too. And then all we need is a few people with knowledge and some time to see it through...

This would be awesome. If anything like this is seriously being considered, please keep me in mind. I have extensive moderation and admin experience.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:46 pm
@Khethil,
Why not try it here? He's completely right that the people are what makes it, and the people are here, instead of instinctively rejecting this community why not give it a chance?
Zetherin

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:03 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yes, Robert, you are right. However, I'm not sure if you understand just how hard this is for some of us. I mean, we are going from having an entire forum dedicated to philosophy, to being 1 out of 48 topics on a website that is more akin to a message board. It's tough losing the community, it's tough losing the cohesion we had on the other site. Many of us spent years writing and building relationships at that place, and for many of us it was our online-home. So please don't think that the people that show any sort of hesistance are just instinctively rejecting the place. It's hard for a lot of us, and please don't downplay that.

But even with that said, yes, most of us *are* going to give it a chance, and I, like most, am excited to meet all the new members. We'll march in with open arms, but I just hope all of you show understanding as to where us senior members from philosophy forum are coming from.
Holiday20310401

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:05 pm
Hey, I'm here. I agree let's give this forum a chance.