Region Philbis

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 03:27 am
@Pepijn Sweep,

imo PM is a privilege that should be earned...
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 03:43 am
@Region Philbis,
There are many ways to get a privelege; some come with the fact of registration with A2K. It has IMO little to do with earning. Some people are priveleged, others have to earn their way to PM, wealth & respect.
Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 04:36 am
@Robert Gentel,
I am very unhappy with the layout and lack of good dialog tools on this forum so I am going to unsubdued and go elsewhere

Alan McDougall
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 04:38 am
just because it's called a Private Message doesn't make it so

anyone with the knowledge and persistence could find a way to read them, they are after all stored on the internet, sites are hacked, just like snail mail can be intercepted

as for me, read away if someone finds out how to do it, or if Robert gets bored (insert some sort of smiley here so everyone knows i'm kidding), i'm not trading state secrets or planning a revolution (or am I Shocked Wink Twisted Evil )
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 04:45 am
@djjd62,
Right. First I have to earn PM rights, then they are not private. Why would I stress myself for non-PM facilities if I already have thât ?
djjd62

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 04:49 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
no comment on the privilege bit, i've been to sites where rights are earned

as for private, i believe as much as they can be they are, i'm just warning that like any object that you have little control over, ie: things not actively in your possession, they could be usurped
sarek

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:11 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

sarek wrote:
My background is in law and I am pretty sure that what you did does constitute a breach of privacy regulations as they are commonly understood.

Quote:
In my view the procedure mentioned above does not qualify as such. Hence, evidence obtained by this method does not count as evidence legally obtained.

Unless you mean something like being on COPS once or twice as your legal "background" I would recommend trying to get your money back. Your post doesn't show even a layman's understanding of law.

We are perfectly within our legal rights to delete PM spam, this is just more of the usual feckless legal claims we see from vaguely-credentialed law-backgroundists.

I must be on the right track here as witnessed by the fact that you deem it necessary to resort to ad hominem arguments without bothering to further substantiate your own arguments or redeem mine.

I assure you my credentials are as real as they get, but that as an aside.

Let me reiterate, in case you failed to accurately analyse my original position.

A. You got forwarded one or more of those spam PM's
B. You checked your database for a match
C. You found not one, but several hundred matches.

Which to my mind means you have ascertained that the contents of at least 500 pm's were identical to the few you obtained legally.
I think that counts as reading people's private communications.

Or do you think that if you tell the computer to tap someone's phone or email traffic(a la echelon), that would not qualify as tapping it yourself?

You basically used the contents of an entire message as your search string.

And what is frankly bothering me even more than any kind of legal issue, is a simple matter of trust and confidence. That was badly shaken by these actions.

That begs the question, are we as members of A2k safe here on this forum?
msolga

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:13 am
@djjd62,
Quote:

Didn't we used to have a sort of interim period, between joining A2K & gaining PM rights, a while back?
sarek

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:14 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

just because it's called a Private Message doesn't make it so

anyone with the knowledge and persistence could find a way to read them, they are after all stored on the internet, sites are hacked, just like snail mail can be intercepted

Because you can, it does not mean its right or even legal to do so. You go right ahead and hack a few sites or steam open a few envelopes not addressed to you and see what happens.
dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:19 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep wrote:

There are many ways to get a privelege; some come with the fact of registration with A2K. It has IMO little to do with earning. Some people are priveleged, others have to earn their way to PM, wealth & respect.

Some have it thrust upon them?
dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:20 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:

Didn't we used to have a sort of interim period, between joining A2K & gaining PM rights, a while back?

Yes.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:23 am
@sarek,
Quote:
That begs the question, are we as members of A2k safe here on this forum?

Well, of course, I have only 10 years of experience to go on as opposed to your 5 minutes, your tortured logic and your vague suspicions, but I'll go out on a limb here and say "Yes".

Next?

0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:25 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Pepijn Sweep wrote:

More trusted than thrusted I hope.
Laughing 2 Cents
dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:40 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep wrote:

dlowan wrote:

Pepijn Sweep wrote:

More trusted than thrusted I hope.
Laughing 2 Cents

Well, yes.

Though I have had a few previous people on A2k thrusting spam PMs upon me and large numbers of other people and have been extremely glad to know I could report the damn things to Robert and the mods knowing that such behaviour would be quickly and effectively dealt with, as it is on any well-run site.

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 06:26 am
@sarek,
i guess i see the PM's different from other folks, to me they are merely an extension of the forum, a place to send a quick message about something that i don't want to bother making a thread about, or clogging up an existing one, if they didn't exist i'm not sure i'd miss them, i've had some good conversations, but a s i said most have been merely extensions of something already going on in public, i reserve all my subversive thoughts to the safety of my brain, a fortress that can only be breached by copious amounts of alcohol

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 06:28 am
@djjd62,
Drunk Not Equal 0
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 06:30 am
@msolga,
yep, and i've been on sites that blocked starting threads until you'd made a minimum number of posts
0 Replies

Eudaimon

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 06:54 am
What I cannot understand is why it was necessary to unite philforum and a2k.
And also the delay with the restoration of the content of our profiles, e-mail updates, blogs etc.
I am not against this forum if it is (as some say) more lenient in banning which was excessive on the old philforum. But I think the administrator should understand philforumers who were forced to change their home.
sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 07:05 am
@Eudaimon,
Eudaimon wrote:

But I think the administrator should understand philforumers who were forced to change their home.

Why do you think he does not?

(I'd venture to say it's the same reason you don't understand why it was necessary to unite philforum and A2K -- that you haven't read much of what he has to say on the subject.)

You are correct that this forum is less top-down when it comes to moderation, though.
dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 07:26 am
@sozobe,
You know...the light has dawned.

(Makes me think of the Mom and Pop store episode of Seinfeld.)

Now it all makes sense.

Robert spends TEN YEARS building up our trust....he learns how to make forums and other computery stuff...spends countless unpaid hours toiling over the site....finally gets his big break...imports a Philosophy Forum...gets them to spam the site by offering to make them their own special home here and generally doing his best to make things work for them....and all this for a huge payoff.

Wait for it.

It's coming.

It's truly devilish and Machiavellian...

You're not going to believe it....

He spends ten years building all this up.......

So he can read their spam PMs!!!!!!

(For the seriously humour impaired, this is heavily ironic........that is, I don't really believe this.....)

My apologies to the many non-paranoid perfectly delightful Phil Forum folk...I ma not laughing at YOU!!!!