Ticomaya

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 08:00 am
@dlowan,
You had me on the edge of my seat, rabbit.
djjd62

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 08:12 am
@dlowan,
i knew it

now where did i put my tinfoil hat
0 Replies

josh0335

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 08:26 am
I think it's a shame things have turned sour over this merger. I honestly do not think the launchers of the new site were being Machiavellian though, perhaps unaware of the harms of mass spamming.
dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 08:51 am
@Ticomaya,
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 08:54 am
@josh0335,
josh0335 wrote:

I think it's a shame things have turned sour over this merger. I honestly do not think the launchers of the new site were being Machiavellian though, perhaps unaware of the harms of mass spamming.

Oh, this drama'll fade away pretty fast as all such forum ****-storms do. I hope we get to keep a whole bunch of the Phil Forum folk.
djjd62

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 08:55 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I hope we get to keep a whole bunch of the Phil Forum folk.

me too

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:04 am
@josh0335,
Me too, Josh!

When the merger occurred, people inquired and accused Robert of treating them like commodities to purchase just for A2K's financial gain. Oddly, that's the same motive being touted by the new forum creator -- a need to up the membership numbers to help pay for the maintenance of the forum.

When the merger occurred, people inquired and complained that their old archives, blogs and data had been lost. Robert assured that it was all here and could be found using the tag system. Oddly, the new forum creator will have none of that history to provide familiar comfort to his members, yet dozens of those that complained about their perceived loss of forum history are flocking to that virgin forum.

The actions of a few sour folks is indeed shameful. Luckily, there are more gems than sour lemons among the old PhilForum membership and I continue to welcome you here.

0 Replies

Wozz

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:15 am
"I probably could, but quite frankly I ran out of patience late last night and am probably only due for more next week. But while we are playing this game (hypocritically calling for no stone throwing at the same time), let me mention again that you could lose a lot of your obnoxious and baseless accusations about "my actions" given that you know not a whit about them. That kind of thing might do something crazy like engender a hostile attitude or something.

I'll be less irritated when you be less irritating. "

First off, your track record with internet services does you no good to gain my trust so why don't we just save those words, unless it makes you feel better about yourself. In this case I get to be as obnoxious and irritating to you as I want because, (A) you brought all of this topic up so you should be open to questioning, did you really think ALL of us would believe that you don't read our PMs? (B) as the admin and founder of this forum I would like to think you would have more respect for its users...very disappointing Robert.
josh0335

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:31 am
@dlowan

Quote:
Oh, this drama'll fade away pretty fast as all such forum ****-storms do. I hope we get to keep a whole bunch of the Phil Forum folk.

I think many will stay. And those who do go may even continue posting here. Unfortunately, I haven't really found my feet here yet so I haven't posted much but it is definitely a nice atmosphere.

If many do end up leaving, what does it mean in terms of measuring the success of the merger?

@Butrflynet

Quote:
Me too, Josh!

When the merger occurred, people inquired and accused Robert of treating them like commodities to purchase just for A2K's financial gain. Oddly, that's the same motive being touted by the new forum creator -- a need to up the membership numbers to help pay for the maintenance of the forum.

I can only speak for myself, but it was never important to me why the merger happened. A few years back I used to be part of a forum where I invested a lot of my time and made many friends. One day I clicked my bookmark to be shown a message that the forum no longer exists! Just like that. So I'm aware that online forums come and go, change hands and evolve.

Quote:
When the merger occurred, people inquired and complained that their old archives, blogs and data had been lost. Robert assured that it was all here and could be found using the tag system. Oddly, the new forum creator will have none of that history to provide familiar comfort to his members, yet dozens of those that complained about their perceived loss of forum history are flocking to that virgin forum.

That is actually a very interesting point. The content is here at a2k. Perhaps people feel they've lost their content anyway, regardless if it's buried here somewhere? People may feel that since the organisational structure has changed so dramatically that what they've written may as well not be here. Or maybe people are planning to take their content with them (not sure how that would work though)?

Quote:
The actions of a few sour folks is indeed shameful. Luckily, there are more gems than sour lemons among the old PhilForum membership and I continue to welcome you here.

It was always nice how we were welcomed here. But I still don't think those people launching the new forum were being sour or trying to harm a2k. I do question the logic behind the mass spamming, although I think this was more innocent than it seems. How else would they notify all the old members?

But anyway, I reiterate that it's a shame the mood has come to this, as the new site could have been launched without the ill feelings.
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:37 am
@Wozz,
Wozz wrote:
First off, your track record with internet services does you no good to gain my trust so why don't we just save those words, unless it makes you feel better about yourself. In this case I get to be as obnoxious and irritating to you as I want because, (A) you brought all of this topic up so you should be open to questioning, did you really think ALL of us would believe that you don't read our PMs? (B) as the admin and founder of this forum I would like to think you would have more respect for its users...very disappointing Robert.

I share the previously stated hopes that the philforum members stay on here, but quite frankly there are a few I would prefer would just go pound sand someplace else.
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:39 am
@josh0335,
josh0335 wrote:
... I do question the logic behind the mass spamming, although I think this was more innocent than it seems. How else would they notify all the old members?

Start a new thread for the announcement?
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:43 am
@Ticomaya,

no need, there was already a thread for that very purpose...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:43 am
so, does anyone know where this new forum is, i'd love to see it
Rockhead

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:45 am
@djjd62,
you hadda get spammed to get in...

i'm out too.
josh0335

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:46 am
@Ticomaya,
Yep, that makes sense, but that doesn't guarantee the old members will find out about it. Many philforum guys stopped logging in to view the board. Sending PMs was a more sure way of reaching everyone (provided they had their current email set under their profile). I'm not approving of mass spamming, especially when the administrator asked them to stop, but I don't believe it was underhanded. I'm not sure if I actually received any of these messages but I think I understand why they did it.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
djjd62

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:50 am
@Rockhead,
i was just curious about what a really great board would look like Rolling Eyes

Twisted Evil
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:52 am
arrrghhhhh blah blah blah .... random accusation and/or wild complaint to keep the drama alive blah blah blah argggggh!
Wozz

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:57 am
I have no problem with this forum or with Robert. I was just stating that I question my trust here. With that said, I'm done posting about this thread Robert. You did what you had to do and I would see how you would be mad about this whole scenario.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 10:08 am
@GoshisDead,
Very Happy
0 Replies