A Child's Abortion

Bonaventurian

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 12:55 pm
@xris,
xris;72769 wrote:
It was also confirmed that contraception is a sin and by its confirmation thousands die in Africa.

There are reasons for saying that contraception if a sin. The ban on contraceptives isn't killing people in Africa. Sin is. They are rational moral agents. They have the ability to stop screwing around. They choose not to. Their blood be upon their own heads.

In any case, what do you have against faith driven morality? What if it's right? How can you be positive that it isn't?

Quote:
Millions of RC catholics yes millions use contraceptives every night...

Romans 3:23 wrote:
For all have sinned, and do need the glory of God.

Quote:
Thousands die because of the lack of clean water but the church sits on billions of dollars of wealth and covets its gold eagles as its sanctimonious view on life's value is paraded like some grand crusade against moral corruption..It stinks ..

The Church is one of the largest humanitarian agencies on the face of the planet.
xris

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 01:09 pm
@Bonaventurian,
Bonaventurian;72772 wrote:
There are reasons for saying that contraception if a sin. The ban on contraceptives isn't killing people in Africa. Sin is. They are rational moral agents. They have the ability to stop screwing around. They choose not to. Their blood be upon their own heads.

In any case, what do you have against faith driven morality? What if it's right? How can you be positive that it isn't?

The Church is one of the largest humanitarian agencies on the face of the planet.
Your answers are predictable and obnoxious as they are naive.Give me one reason why one ounce of gold should sit in church when one child's life,you know the lives you hold so dear,is in peril through lack of finance.You have no moral authority to condemn us heathens ,when the church would rather drink wine than let its flock drink clean water.Get the behind me, for you words degrade the teachings of love from a man called Jesus.
Bonaventurian

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 01:11 pm
@xris,
xris;72777 wrote:
Your answers are predictable and obnoxious as they are naive.Give me one reason why one ounce of gold should sit in church when one child's life,you know the lives you hold so dear,is in peril through lack of finance.You have no moral authority to condemn us heathens ,when the church would rather drink wine than let its flock drink clean water.Get the behind me, for you words degrade the teachings of love from a man called Jesus.

That "once ounce of gold" is generally a donation by the local laity, given specifically for the purpose of being decorative. If I gave you a watch and I was like "Hey, wear this," and you sold it and purchased a homeless guy a burger, I would rightfully be annoyed.
xris

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 01:23 pm
@Bonaventurian,
Bonaventurian;72778 wrote:
That "once ounce of gold" is generally a donation by the local laity, given specifically for the purpose of being decorative. If I gave you a watch and I was like "Hey, wear this," and you sold it and purchased a homeless guy a burger, I would rightfully be annoyed.
i dont actually believe your a real person,well you dont act like a human i could recognise.Ill give you a choice ,you know those big gold eagles you see in cathedrals where the geezer with the expensive robes preaches piety,one of those or a thousand children's lives.Its your decision a gold eagle or a thousand children?
Zetherin

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 02:02 pm
@No0ne,
Bonaventurian wrote:
There can be no archaic doctrine of faith, since these deal primarily with God, Who does not change, and Whose nature is necessary and intrinsic. Granted, there are cases in which God reveals contingent truths to us (like transubstantiation), but they nonetheless cannot be archaic unless God decrees otherwise, since they come from God (and God can only decree otherwise on contingent truths (like transubstantiation...it didn't happen before Christ was born, so far as I a aware)), Whose very name is Truth.

Of course there can be archaic doctrines of faith. Many beliefs before the advent of monotheism would be dubbed, now, archaic doctrines of faith.

What "comes from God" is open for interpretation, and it's clear the "God" notion has changed during the evolution of our species. The doctrine is constructed by us, so of course it will change, and of course it can be flawed, and of course it can have varying interpretation. There is no "necessary and intrinsic nature", whatever this metaphysical nonsense means.

Quote:

And one of the largest inhumane agencies on the face of the planet too, right?
0 Replies

Bonaventurian

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 02:18 pm
@xris,
xris;72782 wrote:
i dont actually believe your a real person,well you dont act like a human i could recognise.Ill give you a choice ,you know those big gold eagles you see in cathedrals where the geezer with the expensive robes preaches piety,one of those or a thousand children's lives.Its your decision a gold eagle or a thousand children?

Those big golden eagles are donations by the local laity for the purpose of being decorative, as an expression of their devotion to the Church. It would be -very, very- rude to sell them.

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Zetherin;72793 wrote:
Of course there can be archaic doctrines of faith. Many beliefs before the advent of monotheism would be dubbed, now, archaic doctrines of faith.

By "faith," I understand the data of divine revelation...I don't think that those other doctrines are actually revealed. Except maybe by devils.

Quote:
What "comes from God" is open for interpretation, and it's clear the "God" notion has changed during the evolution of our species. The doctrine is constructed by us, so of course it will change, and of course it can be flawed, and of course it can have varying interpretation. There is no "necessary and intrinsic nature", whatever this metaphysical nonsense means.

I don't think that a true doctrine of faith is man-constructed. I quote Pope Boniface VIII:

Unam Sanctam wrote:
Therefore, if the terrestrial power err, it will be judged by the spiritual power; but if a minor spiritual power err, it will be judged by a superior spiritual power; but if the highest power of all err, it can be judged only by God, and not by man, according to the testimony of the Apostle: 'The spiritual man judgeth of all things and he himself is judged by no man' [1 Cor 2:15]. This authority, however, (though it has been given to man and is exercised by man), is not human but rather divine, granted to Peter by a divine word and reaffirmed to him (Peter) and his successors by the One Whom Peter confessed, the Lord saying to Peter himself, 'Whatsoever you shall bind on earth, shall be bound also in Heaven' etc., [Mt 16:19]. Therefore whoever resists this power thus ordained by God, resists the ordinance of God [Rom 13:2], unless he invent like Manicheus two beginnings, which is false and judged by us heretical, since according to the testimony of Moses, it is not in the beginnings but in the beginning that God created heaven and earth [Gen 1:1]. Furthermore, we declare, we proclaim, we define that it is absolutely necessary for salvation that every human creature be subject to the Roman Pontiff.

Unam Sanctam
xris

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 02:30 pm
@Bonaventurian,
So Bon you would choose the eagle? lets say it was given three hundred years ago by a local bandit,now answer.
You have shown your attention to scriptures is more important than a child's life so dont give me this sanctimonious attitude about life being sacred.Its not life that concerns you in the slightest, its you fundamentalist attachment to dogma.
0 Replies

Bonaventurian

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 02:32 pm
@No0ne,
Xris, if your grandfather makes out a will and writes in the will "I leave Xris 20,000 dollars in order that he might purchase a car. This money may not be used in a different fashion," do you have any right to give that money away? No, you either buy the car or forfeit your claim to the money.
Zetherin

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 02:39 pm
@No0ne,
Bonaventurian wrote:
By "faith," I understand the data of divine revelation...I don't think that those other doctrines are actually revealed. Except maybe by devils.

I don't understand your thought here at all. The "data of divine revelation"? What does that mean? And what on earth do you mean by "devils"?

Quote:
I don't think that a true doctrine of faith is man-constructed.

Who constructed it, then? The boogey man, santa clause, a zombie? Is Pope Boniface VIII not a man? Sorry to break it to you, but everything written in the "Unam Sanctam" was written by man.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 02:50 pm
@Bonaventurian,
Bonaventurian;72803 wrote:
Xris, if your grandfather makes out a will and writes in the will "I leave Xris 20,000 dollars in order that he might purchase a car. This money may not be used in a different fashion," do you have any right to give that money away? No, you either buy the car or forfeit your claim to the money.
The church sells land and property every day and you have not the courage to answer my question.If my father left me a 2 dollars and you asked me choose between a child and a icecream what do think i would do? The church holds untold wealth and has the power but not the will to save untold lives,dont lecture me on ethics or the value of life.It sickens me the twisted views of the RC church and its followers,it enters a continent and by fear turns them into fearful sinners dying because some pink dressed MAN claims he knows gods will.
Every day a wife and her unborn child by honour and command is infected by her wayward husbands refusal to wear a contraceptive, just because its against gods will to intervene.Thousands die because of a strict command of unsubstantiated claim the pope has an audience with god,its bloody sick.
0 Replies

Leonard

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 06:54 pm
@No0ne,
Too bad, I consider myself catholic.. That's the only thing I question.. I can still be a practicing catholic without being a dolt. What I mean is, not having an abortion causes the mother and child to die, while an abortion kills the child. Therefore, both having and not having an abortion is death. You are a sinner either way. It doesn't say in the bible "thou shalt not abort a baby". Abortion is a creation of man.
"if God didn't will for the mother to be pregnant, she wouldn't be pregnant." if someone willingly concieved a baby, and god didn't want them to, could god decide that they may not have a baby?
What about athiests? God would have expected that not everyone followed his rules.
"Yes. Yes you do. " If any person committed the most trivial sin, would they be excommunicated?

People who have abortions aren't excommunicated. Is it worse to believe in abortion than to have one?

Furthermore, nobody can know exactly what god demands even if they were god. If god binds people to a set of specific rules, then he must have a doctrine of belief. If that is true, then god can not be the most powerful being in existence. God can't just have an entirely random train of thought on what his wishes are. We should be slaves to a god, but we are not. What people are doing is ignoring god. Also, as a correction, I WAS a catholic for my entire life. You have just convinced someone that there is more to life than god. I don't think that the earth is 5000 years old, or that people were created from nothing. I'm going to have to side with facts rather than incoherent and vague beliefs on what people are meant to do.

Religion is a crime against humanity. People die because of contraception, people die in pregnancy, they die fighting for a supposedly omnipotent god that could create a miracle. People die in the name of god. People die at the hands of other people. God couldn't have created a world that functions worse than this one. It goes against everything god had hoped for. Although I have said that, I don't entirely doubt existence of a god. Even though I can't call myself a catholic due to dogmatic views, I can say that no catholic is perfect.

---------- Post added at 01:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 AM ----------

"The Church is one of the largest humanitarian agencies on the face of the planet. "
The church is a church, not an establisment that serves all. The church doesn't care about non-catholics.

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 AM ----------

"In any case, what do you have against faith driven morality? What if it's right? How can you be positive that it isn't?"

Falsehood outweighs truth. If it isn't entirely true, but it is 99% true, then it is still false. If one thing in the bible or any religious book is even the least bit incorrect, then it is not valid.
Aedes

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 07:08 pm
@Leonard,
Leonard;73181 wrote:
Religion is a crime against humanity.
Is this a fair statement?

Humans commit crimes against humanity for many reasons. Religion has institutionalized some crimes, and because it is focused on moral principles rather than consequentialism, it indoctrinates some practices that modernity would otherwise eschew.

But I still can't go so far as to support the statement I've quoted. Religion has been a complex and in some ways wholly inseparable part of our past (and present and future), and some good has come with the bad. Not the least of which has been artwork of all sorts and media, celebrations, and causes for togetherness. You don't even need to believe in God to appreciate all that.
0 Replies

Leonard

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 07:09 pm
@No0ne,

Aedes

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 07:29 pm
@No0ne,
I'm not sure that we are even possible without religion. Religion is probably the natural outlet for our abstract minds in the absence of some alternative enterprise.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 07:53 pm
@No0ne,
Leonard wrote:
I don't mean that religion is entirely bad, what I mean is that religion has significantly slowed the progress of anything meaningful.

"The progress of anything meaningful". Could you please clarify what you mean by this? Are you sure this isn't just spawning from some feeling you have towards organized religion?

Quote:
It will always exist, though. If religion didn't exist, we would have no reason to fight over land and resources (though it would be like communism). But then that would also allow people to kill for whatever reason.

I'm sorry but I can't help but notice how short-sighted you're being. Of course we would still fight over land and resources even if religion didn't exist. Do you think in the absence of religion, pride, lust, anger, jealousy, and hate would just *disappear*? Do you really think all human foibles would just vanish without the tossing around of a three letter metaphysical notion? Come on now.

When you say "religion", you seem to be implying "a particular set of beliefs". Well, as you may know, people are killing people because of all sorts of beliefs these days! Did you hear about the guy that killed his wife because he believed she was cheating on him? What about the one guy that decapitated 23 people because he believed they just looked a little better headless?

And Leonard, you seem to be under the impression that morals are necessitated by religion:

Quote:
But then that would also allow people to kill for whatever reason.

What would allow people to kill for whatever reason? People can still have morals, and usually do, without being religious. Are you under the impression religion acts as some sort of glue for this species? Maybe it does, but morality surely isn't just a feature of religion. As you're aware, religion acts as a guide for how one ought to act, and of course it's up to the individual to form their own morality in the end. Listen, buddy, people who want to kill are going to kill, no matter what the tooth faery, the boogey man, or god says. Religion is obviously not the only reason for one to commit or not commit an act.
xris

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 03:40 am
@Zetherin,
Fundamental issues kill in religion,directly or indirectly.Its mans perversion that kills when it distorts a message of love.How can The rc church represent the message of jesus when it allows its wealth or principles to be more important than a childs life? It may not have the means to save the world but by its example it could dam well help.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 06:19 am
@xris,
This aggression toward religion (which is pervasive on this forum) is more than hot-headedness -it's dangerous bigotry.

I admire the atheist for his moderation. We theists make an unnecessarily extreme claim when we say that God does exist, and the atheist refrains. But these extreme reactions to religion, simply because one disagrees with what is, essentially, a metaphysical expression, ignites the spark of violent hatred - and all over semantic preference.

Religion has done nothing bad/wrong/ect. That is a fact. Yah wanna know why? Because "religion" has no volition. People, on the other hand, do have volition. When we look for a suspect, we should probably limit our search to those who are capable of committing the crime. Something without volition cannot be quilty of something that requires volition.
xris

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 10:25 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;73321 wrote:
This aggression toward religion (which is pervasive on this forum) is more than hot-headedness -it's dangerous bigotry.

I admire the atheist for his moderation. We theists make an unnecessarily extreme claim when we say that God does exist, and the atheist refrains. But these extreme reactions to religion, simply because one disagrees with what is, essentially, a metaphysical expression, ignites the spark of violent hatred - and all over semantic preference.

Religion has done nothing bad/wrong/ect. That is a fact. Yah wanna know why? Because "religion" has no volition. People, on the other hand, do have volition. When we look for a suspect, we should probably limit our search to those who are capable of committing the crime. Something without volition cannot be quilty of something that requires volition.
Religion has done nothing wrong?then answer my angry questions.Yes i am angry with the RC church for more than one reason.
0 Replies

Violent Meme

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 02:45 am
@No0ne,
No0ne;52767 wrote:
Today I seen a segment on cable new's of a a 9-year old child that was raped by her step father and developed twin's. The doctors had told the mother and child that she would die from the pregency.

There family are catholic's and the vatican had ex-comunicated the mother and the child for choosing to have an abortion.

What are your thoughts of this matter?

I believe the Catholic Church did itself a favor by ex-communicating a whorish woman and her kin. If she was a *TRUE* Catholic in the first place then she would not have gotten divorced, the step-father would not have raped the little girl, and the world would be a better place all-around. Instead, people are left to their immoral depravity and cry once the Collector comes to collect His dues. (And yes, I am referring to God there at the end.)

:devilish:
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 11:04 am
@Violent Meme,
xris;73368 wrote:
Religion has done nothing wrong?

Right. Religion is not an agent, it lacks volition - religion is not capable of doing anything at all, by definition.

xris;73368 wrote:
then answer my angry questions.

The fact that you have angry questions means that you are not interested in actual answers. A person who seeks understanding does not approach angrily, but with collected inquisitiveness.

xris;73368 wrote:
Yes i am angry with the RC church for more than one reason.

And by this you mean some certain person or certain group of persons? If you mean something else, then I can't help you as you have no idea where to direct your anger (which would be better off collected and crafted into something productive - like concern).