A Child's Abortion

Joe

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 08:21 pm
@Phronimos,
Phronimos wrote:
Can you unpack that some, especially the last part? I'm not sure I see it with respect to this case. Doesn't racism in effect deal with the metaphysical issue of personhood? Also, presuming you meant metaphysical in a more religious sense, I think that point is debatable historically, if that is really what you were driving at.

Hello Phronimos

When i was speaking on the issue of excommunication, It was in the context of Catholic doctrine and practice. Their rules and regulations. Religion is a group that practices their metaphysical beliefs through these. One when subscribes to these beliefs in agreement they join the group in support and practice. If someone is excommunicated, it is to make their actions pertaining to the practice of those beliefs worthless. If you remove that grouping it also is meant to remove support in that person or persons. It is debateable on individual circumstance, but that is the general concensus.

Aspects of racism does relate to the topic in personhood and beliefs but is hardly what I was focusing on. If the indvidual does not subscribe to Catholic beliefs, then Racism is just a loaded word to explain sepperation. But if the person does not reckognise that it is just a gathering of beliefs under a system of rules and such then that word really doesnt matter. If they do wish to participate, then yes it is racism if your talking about sepperation and countless relateable words.

My issue is with people making Religion so definitive in life that it will implie racism to those who do not adhere to its characteristics.
Phronimos

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 09:08 pm
@Joe,
Joe;54288 wrote:
Hello Phronimos

When i was speaking on the issue of excommunication, It was in the context of Catholic doctrine and practice. Their rules and regulations. Religion is a group that practices their metaphysical beliefs through these. One when subscribes to these beliefs in agreement they join the group in support and practice. If someone is excommunicated, it is to make their actions pertaining to the practice of those beliefs worthless. If you remove that grouping it also is meant to remove support in that person or persons. It is debateable on individual circumstance, but that is the general concensus.

Aspects of racism does relate to the topic in personhood and beliefs but is hardly what I was focusing on. If the indvidual does not subscribe to Catholic beliefs, then Racism is just a loaded word to explain sepperation. But if the person does not recognise that it is just a gathering of beliefs under a system of rules and such then that word really doesnt matter. If they do wish to participate, then yes it is racism if your talking about sepperation and countless relateable words.

My issue is with people making Religion so definitive in life that it will implie racism to those who do not adhere to its characteristics.

Sorry, perhaps I was unclear. What I meant by bringing up racism was that racism was an example of something that I think most people would classify as unjust regardless of the target's (probably a minority's) feelings, beliefs, attitudes toward it. For instance, if X didn't mind Y referring to him by malicious racial slurs and Y treating X malicious, I still think that we would consider X's conduct morally wrong. I think the same comparison applies in this case. Even if the girl didn't care and moved on, I still think we would consider the Bishop's conduct immoral. I don't think my view has to require this being the case, but in the Brazilian girl's case I do think excommunication likely carries consequences beyond her participation in the catholic church and this does strike me as important.
Joe

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 09:38 pm
@Phronimos,
Phronimos wrote:
Sorry, perhaps I was unclear. What I meant by bringing up racism was that racism was an example of something that I think most people would classify as unjust regardless of the target's (probably a minority's) feelings, beliefs, attitudes toward it. For instance, if X didn't mind Y referring to him by malicious racial slurs and Y treating X malicious, I still think that we would consider X's conduct morally wrong. I think the same comparison applies in this case. Even if the girl didn't care and moved on, I still think we would consider the Bishop's conduct immoral. I don't think my view has to require this being the case, but in the Brazilian girl's case I do think excommunication likely carries consequences beyond her participation in the catholic church and this does strike me as important.

Hello Phronimos

I think your using a racism comparison that touches on individual choices. But the real factor here is the Religion itself. whether or not the conduct was immoral, it is based off of doctrine. It is a common solution that allows individuals to ignore human condition.

I disagree that the girl's case carries consequences beyond her participation. If she never involved herself with this system, there wouldn't be any, pertaining to this situation from the church.

Again, I'm not stating moral choices, but instead, the aspect that people do not think about when joining a system of rules supporting beliefs. Which is, to understand that anyone can be subject to ridicule and separation because of the system. Whether or not someone is willing to understand that is becoming more obvious these days and why I think people are straying away from the popular, restrictive religious temperament.

All and all, I hope people realize what these systems stand for and how they operate. It makes situations like these easier to deal with and or prevent. The mistake in your analysis I think is that certain people are immoral in these cases. To some degree of course but they are only committing to the same system, that implies separation of those who don't follow, that the excommunicated did.

hope this clears up where I'm coming from.
0 Replies

Phronimos

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 09:56 pm
@No0ne,
Given that the girl in question is 9 years old to what extent can we say that she is responsible for participating in the Roman Catholic system?
Joe

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 10:15 pm
@Phronimos,
Phronimos wrote:
Given that the girl in question is 9 years old to what extent can we say that she is responsible for participating in the Roman Catholic system?

Who says she is. Does she do things of participation with her body. yes.

What else? Does she.....believe? who knows.

What I'm saying is participation of the mind and such of anyone is what causes the suffering, because the rest tends to follow. At 9 years old, the participation is debatable of course. I do not deny that.
0 Replies

Vorapsak

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 07:14 pm
@No0ne,
If you were to walk in on your father and mother making love, on the night where his sperm was going to copulate with her egg, and if your arrival forced your father to pull out and ejaculate your would-be sibling sperm onto your mother, would that make you a murderer? Anti-abortion arguments could carry a semblance of clout if they did not rely solely on totally arbitrary distinctions of when and where the 'life' occurs. The same is true for the trimester parameters placed on legal abortions; they pander to nothing but human squeamishness.

If your father exchanged a glance with your mother which they both interpreted as being "the time", but then, as they were grabbing hands and heading towards the bedroom, the phone rang, did the caller murder your sibling? At what subjective juncture do you insist the child was 'born' at? The moment of orgasm? Copulation? Parturition? What about when the fertility doctor gave your mother the fertility drugs? Why not then?

As for the excommunication: the church choosing dogmatic lunacy over reason and compassion is no great surprise.
0 Replies

ClaudeA

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 05:02 pm
@Parapraxis,
Why are so-called "pro-choice" promoters anti-un-born choice? Are they saying unborn humans are un-equal human beings? In reality, they are telling the rest of us, who were at one point, unborn - unbirthed - pre-born, and whatever else such murderers use to distance themselves from the fact they murder human blood, and very often, sentient human blood, as with the reactions of the unborn to the ripping apart of their helpless, trusting bodies, or chemical burning of same, to attempt justification for their assuming that they are superior humans.

We have a liar as president, because these same predjudiced, bigotted people have so bloated themselves with self-esteem, that they are easily susceptible to believing hogwash media hyperbole. We as a nation of sheeple have decided we are superior to all other residents of earth, and we can now call others "Third-world-ees."

If there be no Creator, as these blind enemies of equality claim, then we still deserve to be soon wiped off the face of earth, as the elitists now running the U.S. government have openly spoken of doing - purging 99% of humans from earth - but, if there be a Creator with sovereign design for the orderly purpose of Mankind, then there will be a cataclysmic redistribution of power soon forthcoming, as those opposed to His Sovereign Design are met face to face with His Person.

"Amageddon" has no comparison for the utter, paralyzing fear that the arrogant have when meeting the One Who has faithfully given, and sustained their own lives.

Personally, I would hope that the present Banker Cartel puppeteers now running pres #44, and his "elected" goon squad in Congress cannot get their agenda past We the People, and are destroyed, but, Creator is explicit in detail for this End Day when 99% of humanity is too arrogant to submit their ways and wills to His truth, and substitute for His Love, hideous, forbidden practices such as homosexuality, unborn murders, and license for Liberty.

Death is preferable to living with those who refuse to honor Creator as the Sovdreign He is, and that is why our nation's forebears said in individual words and acts, "Give me lawful liberty, or I will die preferring it to your immoral enslavements!"

ClaudeA

Parapraxis wrote:
I am far from Catholic and am pro-choice. I think that sums up my views on the matter.
GoshisDead

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 05:26 pm
@ClaudeA,
ClaudeA:
Howdy, this is a serious question not an attempt at derisivness.

Are you in the last point, A) expressing an argument as it pertains to this particular instance of the (abortion rights) issue B) Ranting and opinion, or C) trying to pick a fight with pro choicers?

Depending on your intent I can ajust an appropriate response.

Cheers,
Russ
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 07:06 am
@ClaudeA,
ClaudeA wrote:
Personally, I would hope that the present Banker Cartel puppeteers now running pres #44, and his "elected" goon squad in Congress cannot get their agenda past We the People, and are destroyed, but, Creator is explicit in detail for this End Day when 99% of humanity is too arrogant to submit their ways and wills to His truth, and substitute for His Love, hideous, forbidden practices such as homosexuality, unborn murders, and license for Liberty.

Your surname isn't "Phelps" is it?

I would like to know where you draw the conclusion where the Obama administration has openly stated that they plan to purge 99% of humans from the Earth. Can you cite your source?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 12:33 am
@Dave Allen,
ClaudeA wrote:
Why are so-called "pro-choice" promoters anti-un-born choice?

How could the un-born make a choice? For anyone to be "anti-un-born choice" the un-born must actually have the ability to make a choice, otherwise the term is meaningless.

ClaudeA wrote:
Are they saying unborn humans are un-equal human beings?

Not in any statements I have read or heard.

ClaudeA wrote:
In reality, they are telling the rest of us, who were at one point, unborn - unbirthed - pre-born, and whatever else such murderers use to distance themselves from the fact they murder human blood, and very often, sentient human blood, as with the reactions of the unborn to the ripping apart of their helpless, trusting bodies, or chemical burning of same, to attempt justification for their assuming that they are superior humans.

I don't follow you. Clearly, you think pro-choice advocates hold a morally inappropriate view, but other than that I cannot tell what you are trying to say.

You say "they are telling the rest of us, who were at one point, unborn" as if pro-choice advocates were not themselves, at one point, unborn. And of course they were.

You refer to pro-choice advocates as murderers, but this is obviously false. Even if we agree that abortion is murder, not all pro-choice advocates work in abortion clinics.

As for the claim that pro-choice advocates are trying to justify the notion that they are superior humans - how so? You berate pro-choice advocates but neglect to explain how they are making such a claim.

ClaudeA wrote:
We have a liar as president, because these same predjudiced, bigotted people have so bloated themselves with self-esteem, that they are easily susceptible to believing hogwash media hyperbole. We as a nation of sheeple have decided we are superior to all other residents of earth, and we can now call others "Third-world-ees."

Have we ever had a President that did not lie at least once?

ClaudeA wrote:
If there be no Creator, as these blind enemies of equality claim,

I'm assuming that by "blind enemies of equality" you mean pro-choice advocates. Or maybe you meant President Obama and his supporters. Either way, among both groups, you find a great many theists - in fact, the majority are theists even if their brand of theism is not the same as your own.

ClaudeA wrote:
then we still deserve to be soon wiped off the face of earth, as the elitists now running the U.S. government have openly spoken of doing - purging 99% of humans from earth

When has a spokesman for the US government advocated the elimination of 99% of the world's population?

As for the characterization of the people "now running the US government" as elitist, you may be right. But when we compare the current administration to the previous administration, the label "elitist" seems to lose all meaning.

ClaudeA wrote:
Death is preferable to living with those who refuse to honor Creator as the Sovdreign He is, and that is why our nation's forebears said in individual words and acts, "Give me lawful liberty, or I will die preferring it to your immoral enslavements!"

Then how do you explain the atheists and deist Founding Fathers?
0 Replies

Leonard

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 02:18 pm
@Parapraxis,
I am also catholic and pro-choice. Why do catholics care so much about abortion anyway, they're giving us a bad name.
0 Replies

deadcolor

Reply Sun 3 May, 2009 12:52 pm
@No0ne,
I can sort of. It has to do with the time when everyone murdered the theologist's helper by murdering everyone's perception of theology with the catholic's interpretation of cardcaptors. It was crazy. I lived bearly to tell the tale.

This stuff, it does worry me. I yelled a lot, but the only way is to substitute this fake body for general consensus for this complaining about every crazy event and complain about it.

Yes, the real ID of these have ran away. It is more synthetic rather than real, and the theologists are going to heal the victims. This is because that is how theologists are and how others want to predate theologists. Goodby girl, hello new female theologists. I guess the males will be doing something else, no?

Very Happy:bigsmile:
Smile:perplexed:
0 Replies

Leonard

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 12:33 pm
@No0ne,
I'm Catholic, but I don't understand why they can not abort the child. Either the child dies, or they both die. The child could perhaps be saved somehow, but that would kill the mother. Does this mean babies are more or less valuable than adults?
Why would god allow two of his children to die when one can be saved? And if one was saved but the other was killed, would the survivor be condemned to hell?

Here is a paradox:
Not having an abortion is suicide if your life is on the line. Suicide is a sin because you are playing god. Having an abortion is a sin because it involves killing. So you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Is god testing our resolve? Perhaps he would favor not having an abortion because the child is defenseless, but why then would you put this huge burden on the mother, god? I am questioning god's intentions. Call me a sinner, but it doesn't make sense that god would do such a thing.

I am Catholic but that doesn't mean I have to be on god's side all of the time. I was granted free will by god and it is inevitable that I question his intentions.
0 Replies

Bonaventurian

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 02:31 pm
@No0ne,
Leonard, you can't be a Catholic and pro-choice.

Catechism of the Catholic Church wrote:

[URL="javascript:openWindow('cr/2270.htm');"]2270[/URL] Human life must be respected and protected absolutely from the moment of conception. From the first moment of his existence, a human being must be recognized as having the rights of a person - among which is the inviolable right of every innocent being to life.72
Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you.73 My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately wrought in the depths of the earth.74

2271 Since the first century the Church has affirmed the moral evil of every procured abortion. This teaching has not changed and remains unchangeable. Direct abortion, that is to say, abortion willed either as an end or a means, is gravely contrary to the moral law:
You shall not kill the embryo by abortion and shall not cause the newborn to perish.75 God, the Lord of life, has entrusted to men the noble mission of safeguarding life, and men must carry it out in a manner worthy of themselves. Life must be protected with the utmost care from the moment of conception: abortion and infanticide are abominable crimes.76

[URL="javascript:openWindow('cr/2272.htm');"]2272[/URL] Formal cooperation in an abortion constitutes a grave offense. The Church attaches the canonical penalty of excommunication to this crime against human life. "A person who procures a completed abortion incurs excommunication latae sententiae,"77 "by the very commission of the offense,"78 and subject to the conditions provided by Canon Law.79 The Church does not thereby intend to restrict the scope of mercy. Rather, she makes clear the gravity of the crime committed, the irreparable harm done to the innocent who is put to death, as well as to the parents and the whole of society.

[URL="javascript:openWindow('cr/2273.htm');"]2273[/URL] The inalienable right to life of every innocent human individual is a constitutive element of a civil society and its legislation:

"The inalienable rights of the person must be recognized and respected by civil society and the political authority. These human rights depend neither on single individuals nor on parents; nor do they represent a concession made by society and the state; they belong to human nature and are inherent in the person by virtue of the creative act from which the person took his origin. Among such fundamental rights one should mention in this regard every human being's right to life and physical integrity from the moment of conception until death."80

"The moment a positive law deprives a category of human beings of the protection which civil legislation ought to accord them, the state is denying the equality of all before the law. When the state does not place its power at the service of the rights of each citizen, and in particular of the more vulnerable, the very foundations of a state based on law are undermined. . . . As a consequence of the respect and protection which must be ensured for the unborn child from the moment of conception, the law must provide appropriate penal sanctions for every deliberate violation of the child's rights."81

2274 Since it must be treated from conception as a person, the embryo must be defended in its integrity, cared for, and healed, as far as possible, like any other human being.

Prenatal diagnosis is morally licit, "if it respects the life and integrity of the embryo and the human fetus and is directed toward its safe guarding or healing as an individual. . . . It is gravely opposed to the moral law when this is done with the thought of possibly inducing an abortion, depending upon the results: a diagnosis must not be the equivalent of a death sentence."82

2275 "One must hold as licit procedures carried out on the human embryo which respect the life and integrity of the embryo and do not involve disproportionate risks for it, but are directed toward its healing the improvement of its condition of health, or its individual survival."83

"It is immoral to produce human embryos intended for exploitation as disposable biological material."84

"Certain attempts to influence chromosomic or genetic inheritance are not therapeutic but are aimed at producing human beings selected according to sex or other predetermined qualities. Such manipulations are contrary to the personal dignity of the human being and his integrity and identity"85 which are unique and unrepeatable.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 02:49 pm
@No0ne,
I disagree. I know many people in my family are Catholics and pro-choice. While the church may not approve, but it is not like there is anything they can do.
0 Replies

Bonaventurian

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 11:24 am
@No0ne,
Insofar as they are pro-choice, they deviate from Catholic belief. The Catholic Faith has a very, very clear doctrine on the matter. Insofar as they are pro-choice, they are heretics, and they should not be receiving holy communion. Heresy carries a penalty of excommunication latae sententiae (sp?).

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

Leonard;72147 wrote:
Here is a paradox:
Not having an abortion is suicide if your life is on the line. Suicide is a sin because you are playing god. Having an abortion is a sin because it involves killing. So you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Is god testing our resolve? Perhaps he would favor not having an abortion because the child is defenseless, but why then would you put this huge burden on the mother, god? I am questioning god's intentions. Call me a sinner, but it doesn't make sense that god would do such a thing.

By "suicide" we understand the intentional slaying of oneself. For suicide to occur, there must be an act of the will. There's no act of the will in the case of pregnancy. One cannot will to be pregnant or to go into labor. It just happens.

Furthermore, we are bound to believe as Catholics that the human person does not have as its primary origin a natural source. Rather, God is the sole and immediate author of the human person from the moment of conception. Simply put, if God didn't will for the mother to be pregnant, she wouldn't be pregnant.

Quote:
I am Catholic but that doesn't mean I have to be on god's side all of the time.

Yes. Yes you do. Since God by definition is the Supreme Good, insofar as your will deviates from His, you are guilty of sin, and your will is bad.
Theaetetus

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 09:30 am
@Bonaventurian,
Bonaventurian;72474 wrote:
Insofar as they are pro-choice, they deviate from Catholic belief. The Catholic Faith has a very, very clear doctrine on the matter. Insofar as they are pro-choice, they are heretics, and they should not be receiving holy communion. Heresy carries a penalty of excommunication latae sententiae (sp?).

Well, that is pretty much archaic dogma that carries no real weight anymore. Very few Catholics I know follow the dogma to a T, and most would find a new church or denomination if they were excommunicated for superstitious beliefs.
GoshisDead

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 10:33 am
@Theaetetus,
As argued earlier in the thread Any religion only has the right to execute judgment based on dogma or divine law, depending on your view of said law within the confines of its own system. I belong to a religion where it is considered divinely wrong to abort except in extreme cases and people are excommunicated for it at times. However there is no claim as to the right for an abortion secularly, as a religion not currently controlling a theocracy cannot claim that credibly. So, so say I personally am anti-abortion, I cannot however, because I am not God, condemn someone for doing it. If I were a church leader I could excommunicate someone for doing it, which still is not the same as eternal condemnation, as I still would not be God and still would not be making that final infallible judgment on a person's soul. I would simply be denying them access to the church community and benefits that go with it. Even in the Catholic faith, from what I understand, nothing is infallible unless the Pope decrees it from the seat of St. Peter. So every excommunication would have to be decreed from there in order to usurp God's right of final Judgment.

As I see it, this OP although started because someone was outraged at an 'injustice' is really a discussion about excommunication, what it is, and the rights of a church to do so, not a discussion on abortion rights. The girl's rights were never in question in the article, only the consequences of her rights as it pertains tothe church's rights. Why make this into another pro/anti abortion flame war when it, according to the article in the OP, was only tangentially intended to be one.

Note: my grasp of catholic doctine is limited, as you may have noticed.
0 Replies

Bonaventurian

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 12:17 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;72716 wrote:
Well, that is pretty much archaic dogma that carries no real weight anymore. Very few Catholics I know follow the dogma to a T, and most would find a new church or denomination if they were excommunicated for superstitious beliefs.

The doctrine was reaffirmed multiple times in the past fifty years by Pope John Paul II, Pope Paul VI, among others...In any case, there's no such thing as "archaic" dogma in the Catholic Church. The thing about Catholic dogma is that it deals primarily (if not solely) in matters of faith and morality.

There can be no archaic moral doctrine, since morality is universal to every man (indeed, to every rational moral agent, as Kant would say). Ergo, if something was true morally for Adam thousands (or more) of years ago, then it remains true for us. The only exception is a case in which the morality of an act depends solely on the decree of God, that is, in cases in which God makes demands on us. For example, it was moral for the Jews to rest on Saturday, but it is not morally wrong for us not to rest on Saturday. He specifically commanded them to do it at that time. This rule has since been revoked.

Yet, when the morality is intrinsic to our nature, the morality cannot be suspended. Period. When morality is intrinsic to our nature, a moral claim remains equally true whether it be said at the beginning of time, at the end of time, now, in ancient Egypt...or even when the world as we know doesn't exist at all. Even had humans never existed, it is a necessary truth whenever I say "A man ought not to murder."

There can be no archaic doctrine of faith, since these deal primarily with God, Who does not change, and Whose nature is necessary and intrinsic. Granted, there are cases in which God reveals contingent truths to us (like transubstantiation), but they nonetheless cannot be archaic unless God decrees otherwise, since they come from God (and God can only decree otherwise on contingent truths (like transubstantiation...it didn't happen before Christ was born, so far as I a aware)), Whose very name is Truth.
xris

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 12:45 pm
@Bonaventurian,
It was also confirmed that contraception is a sin and by its confirmation thousands die in Africa.I have a certain hatred for dogma driven opinions.I say that this hypocritical attitude towards faith driven morals gives me the desire to rid this world of religion.Life's sanctity is not the quest but a sick blinkered view of a corrupt message from a mythical god.
Any, yes any faith driven views in my opinion is completely unacceptable and should be classified as medieval crap.
Millions of RC catholics yes millions use contraceptives every night but not one of them will stand up and say the pope is wrong and condemn his god given views.Thousands die because of the lack of clean water but the church sits on billions of dollars of wealth and covets its gold eagles as its sanctimonious view on life's value is paraded like some grand crusade against moral corruption..It stinks ..