@spendius,
Quote:
with ladies who have expoused the most horrific points of view

Freudian slip, Spendi?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 07:03 pm
@Setanta,
Virtue untested is no virtue at all.It is the same with honor. Repressing these things will cause anxiety and is demoralizing to your character.

There is only one thing to do. It is only the method that is in question.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 07:06 pm
Word, Home Boy . . .
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 08:25 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
The number of name-calling tirades from you, Setanta, is far higher than from anyone else on Able2know.

I think you have a selective memory, or perhaps the worse offenders are on your ignore list.

H20Man
cjhsa

To name only two. This is in no way intended to be a comprehensive list, but these two just kinda sprung to mind.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 08:30 pm
Allegations of name calling are not germane to the topic of this thread. It is especially ironic coming from someone who will brand just about anyone else a racist at the drop of a hat; someone who stated, on no evidence at all, that Australia is one of the most racist nations in the world.

It would be nice if people could address the topic of the thread. However, i know that i can't enforce anything like that, and i am not constitutionally opposed to digressions.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 09:13 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta is rabid against me as a drunk.
Oh, well.
The one place that I remember most was when I was out of my mind when one of our artists was found dead, after being alive for twelve days, in a forest in the area, where she had gone to paint. She had fallen, and that was that, lived.. twelve days, as the coroner found. When I found out, I was woebegotten.
No, she was not my best friend, but she was a friend/acquaintance. I helped load her truck, etc. We had conversations. I liked her. I tried to post, was a mess at it. I finally intervened on whatever thread was going on, belligerent with anguish. So Set took me as a rampant bee.

He remembers, all these years later, and slams me for it.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 09:15 pm
@ossobuco,
Allegations are germane.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 09:19 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Setanta is rabid against me as a drunk.

Don't flatter yourself.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 09:23 pm
@Setanta,
Is there anything to gain from posting that you are offended?

(Of course, you could ask this question about anything posted here at all, but you likely get my meaning.)

Or...could you post in calmth?
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 09:30 pm
@dlowan,
That's the thing bunny. Setanta is claiming to want to know the honorable thing to do and say yet to also grab an indefinite share of the high ground and still to be able to sling mud and crap and sticks of dynamite at those he disagrees with, even at the cost of the most innocuous threads.

I think this whole thread reeks of duplicity.
Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 09:35 pm
@dlowan,
No, there is not necessarily anything to be gained from posting that i've been offended, and, of course, as you note, the same could be said about posting anything at all. However, let me quote you what Sofia Lash Goth posted, which put it very well in perspective for me, as well, when first i read it:

Lash wrote:
I used to feel the same way...if I read you correctly...that when certain things are said, you feel it is ethically demanded of you to disagree publicly, or by your silence, you give tacit approval.
Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 09:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
So who pissed in your Wheaties? I guarantee you that i did not. Rest assured, however, that your entirely unwarranted ill will is a matter of indifference to me.
ebrown p

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 09:37 pm
@Setanta,
You continue to crack me up Set. There is no one on this thread, yourself included, that I have branded a racist. The one person I accused of racism recently was Lovejoy . Some of those people you respect even agreed with me.

Funny enough, you yourself ended up accusing her of "xenophobia" (as if somehow "racism" is a worse charge).

But then this thread isn't about me. It is about you (as several recent threads seem to have been).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 09:42 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
that when certain things are said, you feel it is ethically demanded of you to disagree publicly, or by your silence, you give tacit approval.

Well, that I certainly get...though I do think that, sometimes, we can take it too much to heart (I certainly have) and get all crusadey about it.

For example, it is amusing to see some posters here go from thread to thread when they log on, clearly looking for things to be irate about, and posting angrily on thread after thread.

I don't quite "get" though the problem with disagreeing with friends.

I do it a lot, as do Soz, RG etc. etc.

I know you have had a lot of anger about your behaviour heaped on you lately, and are likely pretty sensitive, but I think disagreeing with friends can be done civilly and reasonably.

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 09:44 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

So who pissed in your Wheaties? I guarantee you that i did not. Rest assured, however, that your entirely unwarranted ill will is a matter of indifference to me.

Just because you haven't personally attacked me, doesn't mean I haven't seen you throw crap at other people.
Quote:
Indifference to me[?]

Sometimes you can border on obsessive compulsive/sociopathic in your incessant assaults against those you disagree with.
dlowan

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 09:44 pm
@tsarstepan,
I have no idea if it reeks of anything,

It sure CAN be hard to disagree with friends though.

I, for instance, take a lot of stuff from my dearest real life friend that I would never take from someone less close and dear to me.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 09:45 pm
@dlowan,
I think it's just easier not to have friends...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 09:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
Can you explain to me how what i wrote constitutes "incessant assaults?"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 09:55 pm
@dlowan,
Earlier in the thread, Seed suggested that he considers me thick-skinned. And though there may be many here who would sneer at that, he's right. In fact, what motivated me to start this thread is a series of truly disturbing remarks made by people whom i like and respect, which also constituted radical departures from their normal style. I did not intend to discuss this, and certainly don't intend to name any names, but two recent incidents involved one of our most level-headed members lashing out at others on the basis of political partisanship, and another involved one of our most serene members making a remark which i considered shockingly racist.

There are some people whom i expect to lash out for partisan reasons, and some people whom i expect to make racist remarks. But i would never have thought that either of those members would have behaved in such a manner. So, i felt compelled to dissociate myself from their remarks, even though i was not in fact participating in either thread--basically i faced the conundrum which Sofia described. So, i did not see it merely as a matter of disagreeing with my friends. It was a sensation of violently disagreeing with people whom i considered to be acting quite out of character. These two are just examples--i've seen quite a lot of it in the last few weeks, and it also involves people for whom i have a regard, even though i would not necessarily think that they took me for a friend.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 10:01 pm
@Setanta,
ok, somebody hadda ask this, and I'm almost flameproof anymore...

does any of this have to do with the plumbing being out of commmission?

(I know that always makes me a bit unbalanced)