WHAT IS THE HONORABLE RESPONSE?

spendius

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 06:56 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Well Dave--our host wrote this just now on another thread--

Quote:
You know, folks, so long as you respond to Spurious, he will attempt to make this thread about himself, and not about the experience of atheism. This is essentially the same kind of drivel he puked up in the "atheists your life is meaningless" thread, and it was shite like that, as well as his idiocy in general, that has lead me to stop reading his posts altogether.

Now i come back to a thread i've been enjoying, and it's just one post by Spurious after the other, or people here responding to him. Wake up, people, he's suckering you into trashing your own thread, because the only thing he ever wants to discuss is the excellence of his own mind (putative, undemonstrated).

Please, will people just ignore the gobshite?

If that impresses you and is worthy of respect I'm stumped for words.

The post is in lieu of answering the points I've raised.
Francis

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 07:09 am
@spendius,
Spendi, I suspect that the host David alludes to is Robert.

And for once I agree on what he says..
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 07:15 am
@ossobuco,
That's bullshit . . . you're the one who keeps whining about what was essentially your gross blunder, and blaming me for the pain you caused yourself. I got over that within about two minutes.

If i'm not interested in the maunderings of people who post while drunk, that is hardly evidence that i hold grudges.
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 07:29 am
@spendius,
David was referring to Robert, not the originator of this thread, spendi.

Edit: As Francis has pointed out.
spendius

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 07:46 am
@Ticomaya,
Quote:

Apologies to Bob then. And to Dave. I agree.

I assumed that the host was the person who started the thread about himself.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 08:02 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Quote:

Apologies to Bob then. And to Dave. I agree.

I assumed that the host was the person who started the thread about himself.
Lest there be any uncertainty: I was indeed referring to Robert, upon whom Osso commented favorably.

Note that I mentioned his creation of this website & operation thereof.

David
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 04:38 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
If i'm not interested in the maunderings of people who post while drunk, that is hardly evidence that i hold grudges.

A distinctly odd route for the Pathfinder to take. Perhaps a renaming is in order.

Sewhiner

Setin'isways

spendius

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 06:16 pm
@JTT,
I prefer Settin' Aah-aah JT.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 04:24 pm
Another example from a humorous thread I posted that had nothing to do with Setanta, or Political Correctness or Australians.

Setanta wrote:
Yet another example of PC Man's addiction to national stereotypes. You thought (cracks me up to see you use that verb) all Canadians could be characterized by a single statement? Was that what motivated you when you claimed that Australia was one of the most racist nations on earth? You believed you had all those evil Australians figured out?

http://able2know.org/topic/142212-1#post-3917501
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 10:40 am
Interesting thread. Wish I had gotten here sooner. So, I'll go back and respond to Set's original question.

Quote:
So, please tell me how you would deal with a situation in which you see someone you like and respect posting something which is offensive to the ideas you hold dear.

Set, the answer for me is rather easy. I do my best to point out that I disagree with their views by simply stating my views as plainly as I can (often not succeeding as well as I would like, but that's another story) and without adding comments that would be viewed as insulting. In other words, I do my best to avoid the personal comments, even when I may at times be thinking them. Insulting others, even when they insult me or my views or my values, is in my opinion a useless endeavor.

So, my suggestion, for what it is worth, is simply to unemotionally state your objections to their post (whether they are a friend or not) and go from there. Of course, this is easier said than done.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 12:05 pm
Setanta wrote:
I think it is fair that you get one thing straight. You are not "challenging" any beliefs that i have. Once again, based on your posting history at this site, i consider you a liar to claim that you are an atheist. From the very beginning of that other idiot thread of yours, you demonstrated that you don't know the first thing about atheists by your inferential claim that all atheists think and act alike. I find it really pathetic that having been thoroughly trounced with the stupidities of that thread and this one, you are now trying to claim that you're an atheist.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 12:08 pm
You have obviously missed the entire point of this thread. This thread was about how i should respond when someone whom i like or admire writes something of which i disapprove.

You may be assured, Whiny MacBrown, that you are not and never have been anyone i like or admire. I don't know who came up with that Whiny MacBrown tag, but it's a keeper!
ebrown p

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 01:43 pm
@Setanta,
I need a place to keep my trophies.

Since this thread doesn't seem to be going anywhere, it seems as good a place as any.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 02:00 pm
@Setanta,
You, Whiny MacBrown, are not and never have been anyone i like or admire. Yu have obviously missed the entire point of this thread.

This thread was about how i should respond, you know, how to be honorable, when someone whom i like or admire writes something of which i disapprove.

I don't know who came up with that Whiny MacBrown tag, but it's a keeper!

Now you may think it odd that I would even ask such a thing, but honorable, well that is kinda a tough row to hoe for me, so I thought that I'd brown nose a bit and see what I could suck out of others.
0 Replies