WHAT IS THE HONORABLE RESPONSE?

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:09 pm
Thanks to everyone so far for giving me some good food for thought.

(Except, of course, for Brown, the gopherist bigot.)
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:19 pm
Yeah, if you feel that you should say something, then maybe you should. Perhaps say something like, "Whoa, SoandSo... Are you having a bad day? That's not your normal type of response." Something along those lines. Maybe they need to have it pointed out, give them something to think about.

(PS - Hope I'm not one of 'em - I've been guilty of some nasty cracks from time to time).
JTT

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:23 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
One is that many people seem to think that i never do anything but "attack" other members.

Of course, it's nonsense. No one has ever suggested that's the only thing you do, Setanta.

Here would be a good start:

http://www.onelook.com/?w=honorable&ls=a
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:25 pm
I have had the idea of an Able2Know scoring system for a while-- a way you can know how well you are doing here.

Each personal insult from Setanta is worth a point. For example in a recent thread I got a point for "ignorant asshole" and "political rectitude Nazi" (as you can guess, it is Setanta's Nazi references I personally value the most... but still, just one point).

Of course, personal attacks from other Able2Knowers should be worth around 5 points (I get a couple from DrewDad and dlowan from time to time).

The gold standard would be a personal attack from Sozobe (I am still waiting)-- I figure that would be worth 1000 (at least).

But just from Setanta alone, I think I am winning.
Linkat

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:28 pm
@ebrown p,
Yeah - I dont even think sozobe insulted leonabanks - what's up with that?
Amigo

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:28 pm
@Setanta,
Am I one of the people whos post you never read? You can save me alot of time by telling me now so I don't comment on the subject.
Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:29 pm
Actually, i don't believe i have ever called you a Nazi, although the reference to political rectitude gestapo might inferentially be construed that way . . . by a paranoid asshole. Of course, if i did, i'm sure you richly deserved it.

I was trying to kid around with you here, but you cannot resist the opportunity to spew vitriol in this thread. Therefore, the logical response to is to ignore any further examples of your whiny, self-pitying drivel.

See ya 'round, clown.
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:30 pm
@Setanta,
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/7007/7216422123456725.jpg
Have you considered any of the more Eastern methods of maintaining your honor?
ebrown p

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:30 pm
@Setanta,
9,328.... 9,329...

woo hoo!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:31 pm
@Amigo,
No, home slice . . . i'm surprised you would think so. I believe that i responded to one of your posts just yesterday. I sometimes think you're skating way out there on the edge, but nothing that you've ever posted has offended me.

Esse . . . beaner . . . chill, 'K?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:32 pm
@maporsche,
This brings to mind a thread where noddy and I disagreed on a relationships thread.

Civil disagreement is part of being a friend.

nothing wrong with disagreeing with those you generally like, Set.

Yes, I think it's disingenuous to "attack" those you don't think of as friend or friendly and go to PM with those you do. Friends disagree sometimes. It's part of being friends.
Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:33 pm
@JPB,
That helps, Boss, thanks . . .
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:52 pm
@Setanta,
was it because i told JTT to drop dead the other day, or the knowledge that i've never eaten poutine

cause i ain't apologizing

if it's anything else i've done, i give you carte blanche to call me out
JPB

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:54 pm
@djjd62,
you're assuming he generally likes you, dj
djjd62

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:57 pm
@JPB,
damn i hadn't thought of that Embarrassed
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:59 pm
@Linkat,
Up yer nose with a rubber hose.

OK well I burst out laughing when I saw my name in a thread that I was just innocently perusing, but what I was gonna say is that I frequently disagree with my friends -- if complete agreement with me were a prerequisite for friendship I'd have like two friends. No, zero.

Sometimes I hate disagreeing with someone I like (the Ozzian dustup recently was painful) but I don't not say anything because it's someone I like. I think that my friends generally count on that kind of honesty from me (and if they don't like it, they're usually in the acquaintance category rather than real friend category).
JTT

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 05:06 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
For example in a recent thread I got a point for ... and "political rectitude Nazi"

Quote:
Actually, i don't believe i have ever called you a Nazi

Actually Set, the problem may be that you have no memory or a selective memory without parallel.

And the cojones. Or, again , the "memory"

"but you cannot resist the opportunity to spew vitriol in this thread. ... your whiny, self-pitying drivel. See ya 'round, clown."

0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 05:13 pm
@sozobe,
Soz,

The claim was that I have never seen you insult anyone, not that you never disagree with anyone.

There is a difference (although some of us forget that from time to time). Actually, that difference might just be the whole point of this thread.

sozobe

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 05:15 pm
@ebrown p,
Right, I know, was giving my advice to Set... not very original (what most other people here have said) but what I was formulating as a response when I read the original post.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 05:17 pm
darn...now I'm really interested in who Set was thinking of.....