Why are people against homosexuality?

engineer

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:34 am
@Diest TKO,
In the public forum, it was all about God's will, etc. Part of that may be the "love the sinner, hate the sin" philosophy. It would be really bad form to stand up there and attack people directly. No one really used direct person example of either male or female homosexuality, nor did anyone trot out the old pedophilia argument. Behind the scenes in small groups, the comments are more direct still, but more focused on the "gay agenda" and on "those people are filthy" than on who is doing what to whom specifically.
Diest TKO

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:45 am
@engineer,
Hmm. I'm not talking about attacking people directly (like talking about a specific person), but perhaps the use of generic examples that are gender specific.

Do you understand what I'm looking for?

An example might be something like a person going to talk about homosexuals, but then only talking about the behaviors of men in their examples. I'm curious if women use predominantly male examples. It's my observation, that men speaking out seem to specifically focus on male homosexuals. I'm wondering if you think there is symmetry here or no pattern at all.

T
K
O
engineer

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:49 am
@Diest TKO,
Speakers didn't discuss specific activities or people. I know what you are after, I just didn't see any of it at this forum. I agree with you that in general, people use male homosexuality when discussing the "abhorent" aspects of homosexuality.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:52 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
At no time have i denied that people are responsible for this culture of hate.

Yeah - people but only a certain very specific type of person?
Quote:
the only prominent instance of homophobia was in Judaism.

I don't buy it. I think it's origins are much more widespread than that- certainly not that concentrated. Talk about labeling and denigrating a group of people.

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:56 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
As far as it being a natural condition of humans and other animals that is true however so is cancer and such conditions as diabetic.

So homosexuality harms the individual like cancer or diabetes? Interesting.

Lots of traits are passed on. What makes this one a "bad one?"

T
K
O
ebrown p

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:58 am
@aidan,
There are other ancient cultures that killed homosexuals-- including the Aztecs (who obviously had no significant contact with Judaic culture).

The claim that most cultures opposed homosexuality is clearly false.

But so is the claim that the Jews are guilty of bringing homophobia to the world.
aidan

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:58 am
@Diest TKO,
No and if anything if I were going to be disgusted by a sexual activity it would be more toward what lesbians do - let's put it this way- I have no desire to do what a female does to another female- but I know that's only because I'm not a homosexual female.
But I accept that if I were, I'd want to be free to do what I wanted to do without having to worry about people looking at me in disgust.

My view toward sex in general is that it's private and entirely up to the people who are engaged in it.
I don't worry about what anyone else does. It's none of my business.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 10:00 am
@aidan,
Quote:
Yeah - people but only a certain very specific type of person?

Certainly . . . those who subscribe to the hatred. It's a self-selected group, so don't try to make any charges of racism or bigotry against me. I'm not responsible for people choosing to perpetrate the hatred and the stereotypes.

Quote:
I don't buy it. I think it's origins are much more widespread than that- certainly not that concentrated.

Fine. Provide the evidence. As for "concentration," read Leviticus, and take note of the comment below.

Quote:
Talk about labeling and denigrating a group of people.

This is, once again, a self-selected sample. Any of the people involved were free to reject the culture of hatred. That they don't speaks volumes about the insidious nature of the content of the scriptures which they embraced without objection. I'm not condemning everyone who can be described as Jew or Christian or Muslim, just those who choose to go along with the hatred.

Jesus, this one has really gotten you hysterical. Worked up over some secret loathing of your own, perhaps?
Diest TKO

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 10:00 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

There are other ancient cultures that killed homosexuals-- including the Aztecs (who obviously had no significant contact with Judaic culture).

The claim that most cultures opposed homosexuality is clearly false.

But so is the claim that the Jews are guilty of bringing homophobia to the world.

We can blame the Romans for this idea getting so popular...

The sad thing is that now we are the Romans...
K
O
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 10:01 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Another straw man argument from another of the hysterical christians in this thread. Who made the claim that Jews are guilty of bringing homophobia into the world? I missed that one.
Diest TKO

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 10:07 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

ebrown p wrote:

Another straw man argument from another of the hysterical christians in this thread. Who made the claim that Jews are guilty of bringing homophobia into the world? I missed that one.

Well, I got what you were saying...
Setanta wrote:
the only prominent instance of homophobia was in Judaism.

...even if I'd have said it differently.

I guess your statement hinges on what we consider "prominent." I imagine you are using the word to describe how the old testament has ultimately driven the mores of western civilization, and ultimately us. In that regaurd I agree. I thin your statement is too easy translated as, others may have been homophobic prior to Judism, but their brand of homophobia is the market standard.

Ebrown is right, but I don't think he's going to be very successful at telling us how the Aztek brand of homophobia has a role in modern homophobia.

T
K
O
Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 10:16 am
@Diest TKO,
Perhaps i assume too much of an ability to make fine distinctions on the part of the people in this thread. My remarks have all been addressed to western culture. That is why i referred to the cultures of Egypt, Greece, the Hellenistic world and Rome--because i was addressing the issue as it relates to western culture. For whatever instances of hatred of homosexuals which may have been prevalent in the middle east or pre-christian Europe prior to the advent of christianity (and i've not seen anyone providing a lick of evidence for it), there can be no doubt that the scripture of the Pentateuch calls for the death of homosexuals, and it informed the culture which took over the middle east and Europe in the last 1500 years.

There is nothing in the remarks i have made to justify a claim that i've said that Jews introduced homophobia into the world--so Brown is, as is typical, wrong.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 10:25 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Worked up over some secret loathing of your own, perhaps?

Yeah, believe whatever you want to believe. I'm used to it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 10:30 am
Oh, poor bay-beeee . . .

What i believe is that you are undoubtedly a liar, and that your word is completely unreliable--but that's neither here nor there as regards your hysteria in this thread.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 10:31 am
I think some people hate gays for the same reason some people watch reality TV.

They're braindead with nothing better to do.

BTW, not all gay men enjoy anal sex.

All I know is, the older I get, the more stupid it seems to even care about someones sexuality, race or what have you.

I care more about getting 5 fruits and vegetables a day than any of that stuff.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 11:12 am
I've only skimmed, so sorry if this is a repeat or a record-scratcher, but a thought that occurred to me is that generally non-procreative sex gets the taboo treatment. Masturbation, oral sex, anal sex, etc. Since gay sex is by definition non-procreative, it falls in that category in general, and becomes person-based rather than just activity-based. (Someone who masturbates can stop masturbating, get down to missionary business, and make babies -- gay sex won't create babies, period.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 11:19 am
I believe that you are correct to a large extent. Upon such a basis, christian missionaries in the Pacific condemned sexual promiscuity, nudity and multiple spouses.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 12:09 pm
People need a reason for hating other people who are different from them? Since when?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 03:47 pm
@Diest TKO,
Quote:
So homosexuality harms the individual like cancer or diabetes? Interesting.

Look at the rate of HIV in this risk group of males homosexuals to start with along with other STDs. A health risk every bit as bad as cancer or diabetes would you not agree?

I am sure you will find it interesting<grin>.
BillRM

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 03:54 pm
Oh I love some gay dating website wished to run a spot showing two gay gentlemen making out during the Super Bowl game.

I can just picture millions of guys throwing up in their bowls of potato chips at the same moment.
0 Replies