So what is a "Redneck"

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 04:17 pm
I've heard the term in a few American films and just generally from Americans, but i've no idea what it actually means, or what sort of way it's used.
I searched it and it more or less told me "someone with a sunburnt neck" but some of the ways i've heard it this doesn't seem quite right.

Any idea's?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 22 • Views: 11,027 • Replies: 154

engineer

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 04:20 pm
@AbbieMcKenley,
You got the origin correct, but the slang definition is more like someone, generally from a rural area, with backwards ideas. It is a generally derogatory term although some areas have adopted it as a badge of pride.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 04:20 pm
@AbbieMcKenley,
Quote:
redneck 3197 up, 656 down

Mildly offensive term for a lower class white person from the southeastern states of the USA. Derives from someone who spent a lot of time on manual labour outside and so received a "red neck" from the sun.

Source: Urbandictionary.com

Quote:
red⋅neck  [red-nek] Informal: Often Disparaging.
"noun
1. an uneducated white farm laborer, esp. from the South.
2. a bigot or reactionary, esp. from the rural working class.
"adjective
3. Also, red-necked. narrow, prejudiced, or reactionary: a redneck attitude.
Also, red-neck.

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 04:21 pm
yes. I live in the center of the "redneck" universe.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 04:23 pm
@panzade,
Funny... according to your avatar, you have a red nose and not a red neck. Are you trying to pull our collective legs panzade? Razz
Or are you there in an anthropological stance? Wink
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 04:24 pm
@AbbieMcKenley,
They call me a redneck 'cause when I take a load to the dump I come back with more than i left with.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 04:26 pm
@panzade,
And a sophisticated a2ker from Virginia has named his A2k fantasy football team the Rappin' Rednecks...
panzade

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 04:29 pm
@ossobuco,
Don't let him fool you. He's been married 3 times and still has the same in-laws
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 04:47 pm
@panzade,
Hey! I saw that.
panzade

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 04:49 pm
@realjohnboy,
luv ya johnny
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 04:50 pm
@panzade,
<snort>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 04:51 pm
Setanta wrote rather testily on this subject at some point. I'll see if I can find a link.
Couldn't find the exact link, never mind.
BorisKitten

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 05:15 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

yes. I live in the center of the "redneck" universe.

No, _I_ DO!

Your neighbors are rednecks when they fly Rebel Flags from the beds of their pick-up trucks, or plaster said flags on the sides of their trailers.

They usually have a lot of untended dogs or other animals living in their yards, plus a lot of yard-junk... like old refrigerators and sofas, plus abandoned vehicles.

They make terrible neighbors, trust me on this. They make a lot of noise, possibly shouting "YEEHAW" at any time of day or night, and playing country music from their pick-up trucks at full volume at all hours.

I don't like them.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 05:17 pm
mr carlin's take, sorta...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5NaartjBEY

(and i resemble these remarks...)
farmerman

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 05:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Youll find several varying sources , each more believable than the last(if accuracy is important go read some label on a can of soda).

The North Carolina Covenanters of the Presbytyrian church wore red strips of cloth to show their dispkleasure with a church edict

The Mine Workers Union before the Blair MNountain Massacre in the 1920's also wore red kerchiefs around their neck.

No matter, its a derogatory term for a (usually) rural poor person with coarse manners. (LAter extended to mean racists also).

Rednecks like grits, moonpies, RC cola, Hemis, anything that Jeff Foxworthy says,Marlboros and NASCAR. Most will also fly the first CSA battle flag in the hole where their car antenna used to be .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 05:22 pm
@BorisKitten,
Rednecks also like to show the world that they own several large kitchen appliances by keeping them in plain site on the porch.
jespah

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 05:35 pm
@farmerman,
I'm kind of surprised no one's mentioned Jeff Foxworthy yet.
mm25075

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 05:35 pm
They usually wear either cowboy hats or old sweat ridden baseball caps. To find a redneck without a hat is like finding a cowboy who doesn't wear boots.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 05:39 pm
@Rockhead,
Carlin, bless 'im
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 05:41 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Setanta wrote rather testily on this subject at some point.
I'll see if I can find a link.
Couldn't find the exact link, never mind.
U said the "s" word.