A DEER IN THE HEADLIGHTS

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 04:19 pm
_Is a pdead center hit. Ive been in the hospital last few days with some small injuries and eye damage. Last Fri AM, I was toodling up a country road and some body had spooked a deer in the woods (Its hunting season in PA). The deer, tried to clear an incised road by jumping across. He almost made it. I was at the wrong place at the wrong time again. The deer came rocketing into the windshield of my Ford Escape. My windhsiled just exploded with me recieving the shard shower. I was able to control the car and come to a stop and, after shaking like a cottonwood leaf,and checking my pants for any deposits, I was sitting there with a knocked out deer in my lap. Deer was not sufficiently dead because he came to and began thrashing about. I just got out only after he gouged me with an antler in my side and seemed to bust a rib and give me terrible pains on breathing. (I now have a trauma induced hietal hernia a butsed rib and some shards of glas in my face and eyes). So, I was taken to the hospital and then , after tying me up and doing xrays and looking at the hernioa, I was driven down to the eye hispital in Philly for some shard removal . Im wearing apatch on one eye where i apparently was flapping my eyelid while there was some glass between my lid and my conjunctiva. So, its been back and forth and dark and light and meds and drops and bandages and I may need an operation to fix the hernia if it causes any gastric problems.

DAYUM, Ill prbably be off the boards for a while so I can give the eyes a rest.

So how was your weekend?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 47 • Views: 18,832 • Replies: 218

Mame

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 04:21 pm
Wow, FM - that's terrible. How long for your estimated recovery?

And how was the deer? Any glass in his eyeballs?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 04:22 pm
Tough break, farmerman. Hope you make a full recovery soon. It makes a bizarre image, a patch over Grant's eye.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 04:26 pm
@farmerman,
Ohmagawd! You are certainly rich in life's little lessons, huh? Sure hope everything is either fixable, or doesn't need fixing.

Our deer come out after dark. I think they appreciate all the nice people lighting up the highway so they can safely cross.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 04:27 pm
@farmerman,
Wow! That happened to my daughter but all that got hurt was the car, farmerman. So sorry, buddy. Keep working on your van dyke.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 04:36 pm
@farmerman,
Holy ****, better than yours.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 04:41 pm
@Letty,
They dun shaved it off cause of lookin for all the hunks of glass. Some of the glass actually launched itself into my facial skin and, I guess, broken tempered windshield glass doesnt only break into little cubes, there are also some really sharp pointy shards that can enter the skin. I had a bunch of these .

My little car looks like **** though> It has absolutely no real body damage(they can replce the hood lid and the windshield, but the blood on the interiror and the leather seats is gonna be tough to detail . Every time the cops pull me over and spray Luminol on my seats they will see the seats show positive for blood. (You cant really clean it up completely Ive been told).

I really like the little car, its been great an d is a real good field car . (It an SUV hybrid that gets between 31 and 28 mpg, if I dont use E85 my mileage is waay better than the 27 they report from Ford)
dyslexia

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 04:46 pm
This reminds me very little of the time when I ordered a Dunstall Norton from the factory in England, I ordered it delivered to NYC. I took the bus New Mexico to NYC to pick it up and then (after spending 2 months in NYC) rode the bike back to New Mexico via Wyoming. Late one night outside of Cheyenne Wyo I hit a deer. destroyed the Avon Farring, my left wrist and my pocketbook. The Dunstall Norton had some minor scratches.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2107/2267315997_ba30edee8a.jpg
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 04:47 pm
@farmerman,
Look at the bright side thank to you a few Highway Patrol families are going to be enjoying deer steaks for the next few months.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 04:50 pm
@farmerman,
Holy crap, that sucks. Glad you survived though (looking at the bright side).

Coincidentally I had a deer encounter last week as well. But not nearly as bad as yours.

I was driving home from a tennis match at 10pm and deer came bolting out of the darkness and struck the side of my car. I only had a split second to see it's face with its eyes bugging out and its hooves flashing at a full out run before it hit me. I was going 50mph and the deer probably struck me at 40mph (not sure how fast a deer can run when scared).

Luckily it only hit the side of my car and not the front. It did about $3k of damage to the car, but everything was still drivable.

At the time it happened I was pissed, but I remember thinking it could have been much worse if it hit the front of the car it could have ended up in my lap (just like yours did).

Now I hate deer.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 04:50 pm
@farmerman,
Oh boy! You seemingly handled yourself very well and seemingly helped prevent a far worse situation from happening. It's not fate or luck that controlled the car to a safe stop but you so ... you're composure is something to be proud of.

I bet the deer didn't have any insurance! Damn tick ridden slacker! Did she at least apologize for her mistimed jump?

mumble grumble ... the nerve farmerman has to get into an accident and make us worry... mumble grumble...

Take your time and rest those world weary and wise eyes. We'll just wait here worrying and missing you and counting the hours until you return. We'll leave the light on for ya. Smile
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 04:57 pm
@farmerman,
Whew!!!

I've come close a number of times but never actually connected with one.

Again, whew!!!
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 04:58 pm
@farmerman,
Dayaum FM - get better soon and ... well, really just be well.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 05:07 pm
@Izzie,
Does dayaum mean ...?
Quote:
1. dayum 603 up, 39 down

an explative, not unlike whoa. It is a more emphasized version of the word "damn" when it is used in the same way.

Inept/unhip people (like myself) need to know....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 05:12 pm
@farmerman,
holy mother of god! deer and cars. bad combo.

I'm glad you got out. Injured deer in car. Bad. Bad.

fman, take blinking good care of yourself.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 05:19 pm
Holy ****, Farmer! I am glad that there is not more damage.
Tell me, doesn't the windshield of your Ford have a better security film?
You should not have any glass flying into your face like this - when you get
your windshield replaced, put some extra protective 3M film on it.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 05:29 pm
@farmerman,
Such an exciting life you lead! I hope you get better soon, cause I'm anxiously awaiting the next chapter!

My best friend, who's never hunted, has 3 deer notches on his belt. So far, despited 100's of encounters, (knocking on wood) my record's clean.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 05:37 pm
@farmerman,
Just saw this.

Kerist, Farmer!! We love you, get better fast.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 05:53 pm
@farmerman,
Shocked

Oh farmer! That's terrible.

Aw, you poor thing. You didn't need this. Sad

It sounds like it could have been much worse, though. (Trying hard to look on the credit side, as if there is one ...)

Yes, take very good care of your eyes. They are precious. Rest. Do what ever is necessary. But possible damage to your ribs, too. A possible hernia operation ... Oh my goodness. This is too much!

0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 05:58 pm
OMG! What a nightmare. I've always said you don't hit them, they hit you.
Get well soon.
0 Replies