Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 05:52 pm
@Ceili,
Wow, Ceili.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 05:57 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

I had to drive backward till I got enough distance between us to turn around, He chased me for a few kms... They are scary beasts.
Glad your feeling better.

It's a shame you didn't film the whole event. That would have been a bizarre sight to see.
msolga

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 07:02 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
I hadda travel that road this AM . I have to tell you that I was a little bit more watchful. Its still deer hunting season and the hunters are still out in force. I should probably be more concerned about stray bullets than stray deer.

Goodness me. Sounds like a war zone!
I assume the authorities are swarming all over the place, too, to keep a watchful eye on the seasonal activities?

Very happy & relieved to hear you're much improved, farmer.
Ionus

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 09:10 pm
@Ceili,
If I have learnt anything from famerman's deer story it is two things 1) the bigger they are the harder they fall and 2) deer continue to get bigger and bigger, even after death.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 09:34 pm
He's lucky it wasn't an east Texas deer. I tell you.

Actually, he probably would have then said, "Did I just hit a squirrel?"
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 10:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
It's a shame you didn't film the whole event.
Not to worry, he can do it again..this time we will make a proper production out of it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 12:18 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

In southern Illinois, they paint words such "cow" or "horse" in large letters on the sides of their livestock when deer hunting season rolls around. They get a lot of them boys from Chicago and St. Louis.

OK, OK, Lady, you can have your deer . . . just let me get my saddle off of him first!

Hope it works better in Illinois than it did here. I knowed this one old boy painted "Cow" on all his cows. It worked, sorta. He forgot, and left his tractor out of the barn overnight. Right on the big green side of it, it sais "Deere". Somebody bagged it, and didn't even carry off the body.
roger

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 12:20 am
@Tai Chi,
Tai Chi wrote:

farmerman wrote:

I hadda travel that road this AM . I have to tell you that I was a little bit more watchful. Its still deer hunting season and the hunters are still out in force. I should probably be more concerned about stray bullets than stray deer.

Make sure those hunters can see you:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/22/33124358_364f1bf107.jpg

(I'd get an orange tuque too.)

Fooled you, didn't they? Deer are colorblind. Ever notice the orange woodland cammoflage in deer season?
Ionus

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 12:24 am
@roger,
Well done rogue-r, that made me laugh till I hurt. Maybe they couldnt carry it ? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy THREE SMILIES FOR YOU..(Nazi Smilie giver)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 01:49 am
@msolga,
Quote:
I assume the authorities are swarming all over the place, too, to keep a watchful eye on the seasonal activities?

We got us a deppidy. Last year he almost got arrested for poaching deer, he said he was removing carcae from the road. He doesnt fill the residents with a lot of confidence in his abilities .
farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 01:53 am
@roger,
When I bag a Deere, I always aim fer the water pump.
msolga

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 01:54 am
@farmerman,
Oh no! A dodgy deppidy!

I think you should seriously consider taking a vacation, far away, for the duration. That or not leave the house at all.
farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 02:01 am
@msolga,
Naaah. Ive got responsibilities and besides, driving in the country gives me chances to think and ponder lifes mysteries.
msolga

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 02:10 am
@farmerman,
Just keep an eye out for for deer as you ponder ... Smile
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 02:11 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
When I bag a Deere, I always aim fer the water pump.
That is probably the most profound statement I have ever heard. I am deep in thought now.
farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 02:22 am
@Ionus,
Im up way too late as it is. Keep yer powder dry.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 03:46 am
@farmerman,
I see a movie plot here...the depewtdy (note you spelt it wrong) is trying to kill you because you are building some sort of ark in your back yard at all hours of the night. He scares a deer out in front of you to make it look like an accident. The deer is actually an undercover AFT agent who is killed by your car. The accident drives you mad because during your recovery you were imprisioned by a nurse who wants you to keep posting on A2K. You escape and start wandering the woods in a sailors day glow orange foul weather gear armed only with insanity and a boathook which is shiny. You find the depuwdy (note you spelt it wrong) hiding behind the tree where he had tried to kill you 6 months before. You capture him and torture him with home made poetry and stories of Ulysses S Grant drinking with you . He escapes and suicides on your boathook. After cooking and eating the depitdy (note you spelt it wrong) for revenge due to a Deliverance type incident (ding-a-ding ding ding) from many years ago, you are reunited with the love of your life, a 1964 imported VW. Together you return to your home and farm deep in the backwoods only to find someone has shot your tractor. Behind you is a horse with horse written on it. You fall to the sand with the waves crashing behind you, crying no, no, you fools, damn you all to hell...oh yes, and we need to write in a Space Battle...

Now I dont want A2Kers to spare my feelings...what do you think ?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 04:28 am
@roger,
That was really awful, Roger . . . i salute you . . .
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 09:24 am
Holyokemassachusetts! I just stumbled onto this thread thinking it would be more about deer and less about glass induced facial trauma.

I read the whole thing transfixed. I like the movie idea at the end and thought that the only thing missing from it was FM's wife very helpful (as wives' thoughts often are) comment:

You were lucky you didn't hit a moose.

Too true. Very helpful. I'm sure you thanked her.

Hope you are fully on the mend now.
==
What this whole incident has taught me is that there is no truth to the idea that a deer caught in headlights will freeze like some perp in the park being barked at by one of the local gendarmes.

Joe(that was some poke in the ribs)Nation

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 11:30 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
What this whole incident has taught me is that there is no truth to the idea that a deer caught in headlights will freeze like some perp in the park being barked at by one of the local gendarmes.

The problem that deer present when they feel threatened is that they will jump and run, and when they jump, even they don't know which way they will jump, so there's no way in hell that you can predict it.