A DEER IN THE HEADLIGHTS

msolga

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 04:23 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
In case anyone cared, I got my paintings delivered to the First Friday art show and I had my accident ON THE WAY BACK FROM THE GALLERY!!!

I thought working your paintings was why you weren't around, farmer. I thought you must have been too busy matting & mounting. (Even though I thought your exhibition was way earlier. But then I thought I must have gotten my wires crossed.)

It's very good to hear you sounding so alert & on top of things. (Not that I thought your accident would cause you to go all weak & feeble, you understand? Wink Very Happy But I thought you'd be resting now , saving your eyes from any extra strain ...)

It's wonderful to hear you sounding so on top of things! Very Happy

dadpad

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 04:40 am
Four points is pretty poor. I guess its lucky it wasnt a 6 pointer.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 04:44 am
@msolga,
Thanks, but I was more worried about my eyes over the weekend. Now, Im worried about the rib thing and the possible herniated area.
Ive been googling about hietal hernias and I havent found anything about them being trauma induced. But they can be serious . My art stuff was to be completed for a "fisrt Friday" Show at a gallery in LAncaster. Nothing like waiting till the last day.(I got a little bit of the jimmy eye from the gallery manager)

TSAr---DAYUM (pronounced DAY"--yum) is a redneck ejaculation that indicates surprise, pleasure, or some of both. (Pleasurable surprise like (DAYUM !!! baybii) ,

msolga

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 04:53 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Now, Im worried about the rib thing and the possible herniated area.
Ive been googling about hietal hernias and I havent found anything about them being trauma induced. But they can be serious .

Are you in a lot of pain with these, farmer? I have the feeling this might be the case.

0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 04:54 am
FM wrote:
Ive been googling about hietal hernias and I havent found anything about them being trauma induced

You can find some information by googling "traumatic hiatus hernia" or for a close relative "Traumatic diaphragmatic hernia".

Hope you get better soon.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 04:55 am
@farmerman,
Hurry up and get better, I am having trouble controlling this lot.
I had an incident that left metal, a broken rib and a hiatus hernia (also called a hiatal). Part of the stomach is forced through the diaphragm into the chest cavity. They knew I had it with an ultrasound because I couldnt breathe and was getting pains that felt like a knife to the diaphragm. The treatment ? They left it and the metal which has since wandered 6 inches over to my side. I still have some trouble breathing on occassion, but the good news is I have to eat less (it doesnt fit!). Oh and dont worry about the ribs. They will mend completely...you will never know.

Congrats on your art !
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 05:11 am
@farmerman,
Did u see the deer safely to his veterinarian ?

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 05:13 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Hurry up and get better, I am having trouble controlling this lot.
I had an incident that left metal, a broken rib and a hiatus hernia (also called a hiatal). Part of the stomach is forced through the diaphragm into the chest cavity. They knew I had it with an ultrasound because I couldnt breathe and was getting pains that felt like a knife to the diaphragm. The treatment ? They left it and the metal which has since wandered 6 inches over to my side. I still have some trouble breathing on occassion, but the good news is I have to eat less (it doesnt fit!). Oh and dont worry about the ribs. They will mend completely...you will never know.

Congrats on your art !
Maybe u shoud stay away from magnets.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 05:56 am
@farmerman,
And you Murricans are always saying how dangerous the sweet little snakes and stuff here are!!!

Bambi's a killer!

I do hope you are feeling much better very soon.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Farmerperson))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

How's the poor deer?

farmerman

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 06:37 am
@dlowan,
The deer is late.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 06:40 am
@farmerman,
I'm considering myself very lucky after reading what your encounter was like. Glad you're feeling better. I'm sure the ribs will heal up soon.
farmerman

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 06:47 am
@rosborne979,
s I read it, your encounter had your deer running into the side of your car full tilt. Its amazing how little time we have to react. One instant theres nothing and next theres a deer up your ass.

Part of the damn problem is that deer have limited depth perception and a lousy overlap pf their eyes facing front. Either way they

1dont see where theyre going
or
2dont see how far away something is.

YOU HAVE NOOSE up where you live. I hope never to meet a moose. I once watched as a mother and moose calf just lumbered across Rt 3 in New Brunswick and I was amazed at how damn big they really are. They make a deer look like a house cat.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 06:51 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
s I read it, your encounter had your deer running into the side of your car full tilt. Its amazing how little time we have to react. One instant theres nothing and next theres a deer up your ass.

I had no time to react at all, barely had time to flinch and hit the brake. But I was lucky compared to you. Even though it careened into me and flattened the side of my car, everything was still drivable and I wasn't hurt at all.

farmerman wrote:
YOU HAVE NOOSE up where you live. I hope never to meet a moose.

I hope never to meet a Noose either Wink Damn things'll break your neck and leave you hanging.
farmerman

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 06:54 am
@rosborne979,
YEah, those noose are a bitch, also MOOSE.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 07:01 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
HAs anyone ever had a hietal hernia?

Yes, although it was not traumatically induced. It scared the bejesus outta me, because it was located adjacent to the pericardial sheath, and i was freakin' out, thinkin' that i was gonna have a heart attack at the age of 30. The doctor told me, no ****, to sit and stand with as correct a posture as i could, and to avoid foods which would induce gas. It cleared up on its own after about two-three months.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 07:12 am
For an unbelievable true story of a moose/car collision see here:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/moose.asp

Farmerman I'm so glad you are in better shape than that poor deer.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 07:30 am
We only have jaywalkers here.

They generally bounce off with little damage to the vehicle and no danger to
the driver.
dlowan

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 07:41 am
@George,
We were driving the freeway through the Blue Mountains into Sydney a few years ago, in the middle of the night, and just managed to avoid a horse which was loose and galloping along a 6 lane highway.

But, in the outback, you have to watch not just for roos, but camels (we nearly ploughed into a herd at night returning from Uluru), donkeys, brumbies and assorted smaller fauna.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 07:59 am
@farmerman,
Oy gevalt! Just catching up with this. I saw the title but didn't think much of it -- had no idea of all the drama herein!

You've really had more than your fair share of this sort of thing. I agree with Tsar that the presence of mind you displayed was impressive. Sure hope that all the various injuries end up healing nicely and quickly. Good news about yer eye.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 11:32 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

The deer is late.
Well, can u give him a little extra time?
He might be limping a litttle, since u busted him up!

David
0 Replies