A DEER IN THE HEADLIGHTS

djjd62

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 06:29 pm
them deers is tricky, glad to hear you came out as well as you did, it could have been worse
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 06:33 pm
@farmerman,
Wow, hope you will be okay! Take it easy and rest up!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 06:45 pm
Damn, FM, was that randomness, or what? Hope you feel better soon.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 07:06 pm
That must have been frightening when the buck began thrashing around in your vehicle. I hope you fully recover.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 07:08 pm
@tycoon,
Yes, farmerman, love a duck.

Farmer has been through various mishugas before, but I hope this kind of challenge just stops..
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 07:19 pm
Kee-rist on a pogo stick, Mr. Wizard! I've never had a deer try to get in to ride with me. I'm glad you're still with us, and hope you are doing well again soon.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 07:20 pm
Glad you're still among us, farmerman. Get well soon!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 07:20 pm
@farmerman,
since little cj departed us, I guess the a2k venison recipe department is now mostly vacant...

roadkill specials.
http://www.bowhunting.net/susieq/jerky.htm

Ionus

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 07:24 pm
Did they check you for ticks ? Deer have ticks.
Was it a buck or a doe as people here have called it both ? Did you name it Bambi or Bimbo ? Should we call you Rambo ?
Take a word from the self-proclaimed wise, after any damaging event always check you know where.
Take care, mate. Get well soon.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 07:26 pm
@Rockhead,

I think it is inappropriate to talk about cooking farmerman, especially as he isnt dead yet . Rolling Eyes By the way, who says he comes from Venis ?
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 09:38 pm
@farmerman,
REAL sorry to hear about it farmerman!
I've heard other horror stories of a deer getting thrown up above the hood, crashing the windshield, and kicking the hell out of the driver.

MY one close-up encounter with a deer was a LOT less severe -- it ran into my car and stripped off the passenger side mirror.

All the same it slowed me down and caused me to be extra vigilant --especially in the early morning and early evening when they are most likely to be out and about feeding.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 10:09 pm
Dayem, Farmer dude. We'll have to give you some more defensive training if you're going to insist on playing hide and go seek with the wild life.

http://www.blogcadre.com/files/images/deer_0.jpg
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 10:13 pm
@farmerman,
Amazing Grace! Merry and I had a close encounter on the east coast with a deer which barely cleared us only to get hit by a car coming the other way.

That's right, deer are usually tick ridden. Have them check you for all that stuff.

You are one lucky man general.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 10:33 pm
Sending good wishes your way and hoping for a speedy recovery.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 12:08 am
@farmerman,
Best wishes and best of luck.
aidan

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 01:05 am
@gungasnake,
I'm sorry you got hurt, but glad everything is fixable. Hope you heal quickly with the least amount of discomfort possible.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 03:32 am
@aidan,

get well soon, farmerdude...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 03:51 am
@farmerman,
Sorry to hear of your (and the deer's) misfortune.
I thought the glass was supposed to be shatterproof,
not like the old window glass of early automotive development; guess not.

Good Luck on a swift and painless recovery, Farmer.

David
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 04:11 am
@Region Philbis,
Too many damn deer around here now. Its weird, up in the mountainous region of Pa where all the deer have historically been, are now pretty much devoid of the buggers and all aroiund the farming area and suburban SE , have the damn things relocated themselves.

The deer was a small buck with about 4 points. As he gradually came to, he began thrashing and going nuts. I got out of the car sort of in time because I remembered a story about a guy and a woman who were hit by a deer and it came through their windshield . They both thought the deer was dead and were sitting in the car with the deer in their lap while they tried to calm down. Their deer also came to and gored trhe guy really badly, he got peritonitis and almost died from the gore job.

My wife said be thankful it wasnt a moose. Up in MAine each year are hundreds of moose encounters and several dozen turn out very fatal.

My eyes seem really good this AM, I took my patch off cause it itches and no fuzziness or halos. Maybe I can get it off without having to be deriven down to Philly.

Ive been recalling the accident for the insurance form and the only thing I can recall is that I saw the deer kind of launching off a bank to my left (The road is cut like a culvert into this ridge. ) When he hit the ground to my left he bolted and even though I tried to swerve, he came into contact with my hood and window.
The force he exerted is what probably did in my windo and put it on my lap. (CJ) while the window mostly did its job, the central portion , where he actually hit , actually felt like it exploded and the little cubes of glass (the safety feature) were all over the place like shotgun pellets. However, gl;ass is glass and there will be an amount of amorphous chunks that can cut .

My wife said the damage is about 10K , I need a new dash, interiror headliner on the sunroof, a new hood, window , wipers and trim, wheel and electronics harness, and a really good detailing. I hope they dont decide to total it cause it really doesnt look that bad (except for the blood and hair on the seats). Its a 08 Escape Hybrid and Ive grown really attached to the little thing . (We call it SPARKY)

I think, from here on out, Ill drive a truck during hunting season, the hunters have the deer all spooked and constantly moving. Only 7 more days and then they can go back to eating Rice a Roni.

My ribs are all black and blue and my next concern is a hietal hernia possibility. HAs anyone ever had a hietal hernia? I have no expwerience except the pulmonary and bone guys felt that it was a possible serious complication that I should have handled. (My feeling is that doctors oughta advertise because the only client development opportunities they get is to convince shlubs like me to have my lungs removed when maybe that isnt the correct therapy).

Im gonna go over to the body shop and look at my car today.

In case anyone cared, I got my paintings delivered to the First Friday art show and I had my accident ON THE WAY BACK FROM THE GALLERY!!!
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 04:20 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
HAs anyone ever had a hietal hernia?

BBB had one about 25 years ago. I'll ask her to pop in and give you some details later this morning.
0 Replies