A DEER IN THE HEADLIGHTS

farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 05:36 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Im more concerned about CWD, which has shown up in the Pa deer herd out in the western parts of the state. This is similar to to "Mad Cow" .

Ive already been infected and immunized for Lymes. You dont have a job that takes you outside and NOT get vector bites and at least minor infections.
Ionus

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 05:40 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Im gonna carry a boathook with me from now on.
Thats a rather disturbing mental image - sort of like that movie "I know what you did last summer". I can see you running from tree to tree, pausing long enough to furtively glance everywhere very quickly, and occasionally swinging your boat hook widely in false alarm.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 05:46 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Im more concerned about CWD
Crying or Very sad Youre one hell of a guy, farmerman, after everything it did, you are still worried about the deer.

Just in case anyone doesnt know, CWD stands for ....? I mean of course I know, but you know the others dont know..you know ?
Crazy Wild Deer ? Children Without Dummies ? Cars With Dents ?
farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 06:13 am
@Ionus,
I dont wildly swing. I take aim and thrust. Deer are the cockroaches of the ungulates.
CWD-is Chronic wasting disease. Its a form of Mad Cow that is affecting the wild herds in US and Canada. They say it cant cause Croizfeld Jacov disease , but, who knows, more science is reported by newspapers than real scientists.I have no idea who "They" are anyway.

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 06:37 am
@farmerman,
I do! That was the first thing I thought of when I saw your "the deer is late" post.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 07:45 am
Well, that's terrible. Scary and horrible and painful and now, a hassle... but I'm glad it wasn't worse, the heart races at what coulda happened. Jaysus!

Take it easy farmerman.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 07:58 am
DANG, Farmerman. Thank goodness you are here to tell us the story. Don't know about disease in the deer here in NC, but you make the fifth person in a week that I've heard of being run into by a deer. Happened to cub while one of his friends was driving. They were not hurt, but the impact killed the buck. Others had the deer come through the side window. Luckily, they did not have antlers. One was around dusk, but the others were early morning, so I figured the hunters had them on the run.

We have built out into their living quarters. In exchange, they eat everything we plant in an attempt to beautify our / their property, hitch rides in our vehicles and entertain us with their ability to leap tall buildings... which they are still perfecting, obviously.

Keeping you in my thoughts as you heal.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 08:30 am
Damn. just heard of this. glad you're okay.
farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 09:03 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I hadda travel that road this AM . I have to tell you that I was a little bit more watchful. Its still deer hunting season and the hunters are still out in force. I should probably be more concerned about stray bullets than stray deer.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 09:41 am
no ****. you got kevlar?
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 09:51 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I hadda travel that road this AM . I have to tell you that I was a little bit more watchful. Its still deer hunting season and the hunters are still out in force. I should probably be more concerned about stray bullets than stray deer.

Make sure those hunters can see you:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/22/33124358_364f1bf107.jpg

(I'd get an orange tuque too.)
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 12:38 pm
Butrflynet just informed me of your deer encounter and injuries. She was reminded of my experience with an hietal hernia injury when I was walking down from a stage and fell down the stairs. I hurt, but didn't realise that I had a serious injury. A few years later, I was having stomach surgery, the surgeon discovered my hietal hernia had filled with my lungs with my intestines, which was why I was having breathing difficulting.

Butrflynet wanted me to tell you not to ignore the hietal hernia or you may find your innards in your lungs. It takes a while for this to happen so you need to monitor it.

I hate it when one of my favorite people get hurt. Get yourself well soon!

BBB
farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 01:08 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Thanks BBB. Im in the care of a couple of not too incompetent sawbones.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 01:21 pm
I'm <cough> loving <cough> this thread.

It's inspired some great sharing in this office. We love talking about deer/car, moose/car accidents and what happens next.

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 01:49 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I'm <cough> loving <cough> this thread.

It's inspired some great sharing in this office. We love talking about deer/car, moose/car accidents and what happens next.

Morbid office you work in... do you perchance work in a city morgue? Shocked Like Dr. Jordan Cavanaugh from Crossing Jordan? Wink
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 02:42 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Its still deer hunting season and the hunters are still out in force. I should probably be more concerned about stray bullets than stray deer.

Agreed! Cripes, I'm so very glad you're still all in one piece after this experience.

Florida, surprisingly, has a big fat deer/turkey hunting season (well, the rural parts, where I live).

One year we tried to bike around the local wildlife area during (what do we know?) hunting season.

Mr. Park Ranger informed us that we might, if we kept bicycling, "disturb the hunters" if we kept going down the path.

Hubby said, "Gee, we might get shot, too." A Big "Duh" to Mr. Helpful State Employee.

Our present auto (Florida, yep), has a replaced front-end, from running into a deer.

Sounds like you did ALL the right things, which probably saved your life. SO glad to hear it!
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 03:51 pm
@farmerman,
Boring story, farmerman..tell us about the boathook...is it sharp ? Do you carry it inside the house ? Is it shiny ? Where can I get one ?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 04:11 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

In southern Illinois, they paint words such "cow" or "horse" in large letters on the sides of their livestock when deer hunting season rolls around. They get a lot of them boys from Chicago and St. Louis.

OK, OK, Lady, you can have your deer . . . just let me get my saddle off of him first!
Ceili

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 04:36 pm
A few years ago... I was driving in the Rockies and came across a big bull moose who was standing mid road minding his own business. I hit the brakes then tapped the horn and the bugger chased me!!! I had to drive backward till I got enough distance between us to turn around, He chased me for a few kms... They are scary beasts.
Glad your feeling better.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 05:50 pm
@Ceili,
When I was living in Northern Ontario, I was taught that moose can't back up. So, if confronted by a moose I was to try to get my vehicle behind it - and then skedaddle. They can move at quite a good pace, so you want a bit of a head start. Buggers.
0 Replies