A DEER IN THE HEADLIGHTS

Chumly

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 11:33 am
@farmerman,
Good luck with the Escape, I'm not sure if it's unibody or conventional truck frame (Google seems to indicate unibody). If you're a Mythbusters fan you might have seen the "Moose vs Speeding Car".
farmerman

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 01:39 pm
@Chumly,
everything that was damaged on the car was kind of "bolt on" stuff. (The hood, the windshield and surround, the one mirror, and the steering assembly) The steering yoke is gonna be the most expensive because all the technology come through there
Chumly

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 02:13 pm
@farmerman,
I miss the days of individual control for devices mounted on the dash; running all that crap to a few stalk-mounted controllers on the steering column does not turn my crank...and that's no yoke.
farmerman

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 04:06 pm
@Chumly,
Yeh, I agree. The speed control, the GPS controller, thye sound system, horn, all the signals wipers and washers. AND, that goddaamm 200$ key slot.
Lightwizard

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 05:13 pm
@farmerman,
Yes, you would have been okay (and so would the deer) if that damn GPS had only announced, "Deer directly in front of you."
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 11:25 pm
@Lightwizard,
Or if the deer wasn't so cheap that he had his own GPS system to warn him about the oncoming traffic.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 11:52 pm
Just catching up, farmerman. How you doin'? Better, I hope.
Ionus

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 01:08 am
@Lightwizard,
The deer should have been fitted with aircraft collision avoidance system. The deer would have been advised "collision warning - climb" and you would have been advised "collision warning - descend". That would have avoided any accident. But people dont like my ideas...miserable people...someone should blow them up.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 02:40 am
@Roberta,
yeh, doin ok. Im on the mend with only a few bangs and blue marks. Car is being rebuilt. Insurance has been actually supportive . Theyre gonna pay for me to install these sonic deer chasers that fit on the front of the car. However, theres no real flat spot on the front.
Lightwizard

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 09:17 pm
@farmerman,
Well, I feel badly about the few bangs and blue marks but the deer must have left a flat spot on your body somewhere -- can't they install the sonic deer chaser there? That way, if you get out of the car to pee, you won't have another deer knock you over.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 09:22 pm
@farmerman,
I did some investigating, and came up with a secret that most folks don't know.

deer whistles are distributed BY the deer. (under a dummy corporation, of course)

they are acually little sonic tracking devices meant to keep track of humans. quite a racket they got going.

don't be surprised if your place is cleaned out next time you go on an extended journey.

you heard it here first...
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 09:26 pm
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:

Well, I feel badly about the few bangs and blue marks but the deer must have left a flat spot on your body somewhere -- can't they install the sonic deer chaser there? That way, if you get out of the car to pee, you won't have another deer knock you over.

I can see an entrenpeneur could make a fortune with creating a new business around this idea! Good thinking Lightwizard! Where can I get some venture capital for this? Or will you be pursuing the idea yourself? Wink
littlek

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 09:28 pm
I'm not so sure those deer-whistles work well.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 09:37 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:
I'm not so sure those deer-whistles work well.
How do u get the deer to use them ?
littlek

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 09:45 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Tagging guns?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 10:35 pm
@littlek,
They work. I heard it from an insurance guy. The deer hear the whistles -- and freeze right in front of you.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 01:10 am
I am the President and Treasurer and Secretary of a special organisation to save our native tyres from being run over. Thats right ! No more looking away in horror when you drive past another mutilated retread by the side of the road ! We are making special crossings for these endangered species. Act now before Global Warming floods our roads and famerman hits whales instead of ungulats. Send bags of money to DEER ( Direct Environmental Efforts for Retreads). We have an operator standing by in the Caman Islands to take your credit card details. Look your friends proudly in the eyes and say you helped the DEER !
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 09:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
Well, I'm not sure about the marketing unless we could get Tiger Woods cheap for the commercial. I don't know if he's stoop as low as to be photographed peeing outside his car. I understand he only pisses in his pants inside of cars.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 09:27 pm
@littlek,
My experience is that the whistles are quite effective. There's a reason insurers pay for 'em to be installed (or give a discount if you've got one installed if you're in the right territory) - and the cross-country buses that travel up north have them installed as a matter of course.
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 05:12 am
@ehBeth,
The data from around here is that the deer whistles do work. The deer dont continue on their path (of course if they were like mine-he was already in the middle of a jump and was mid air when he slammed into my car).

My car is ready for paint and sealer. They found a neat place to mount the deer chasers (on the inside space of the grille-they look like little machine guns).