Four cops offed in WA

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 02:34 pm
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/11/29/washington.police.shooting/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

Lakewood, Washington (CNN) -- Four police officers were fatally shot Sunday in what police said was an ambush in a coffee shop near Tacoma, Washington.

The officers were sitting in the coffee shop in Lakewood, Washington, before the start of their shifts, reading on their computers, when the shooting occurred, said Sheriff's Department spokesman Ed Troyer. He told reporters that authorities believe the officers were meeting and going over cases or doing paperwork.

"This was a targeted, selected ambush," Troyer told reporters. He said a gunman came inside, opened fire and shot all four officers. Two baristas and other customers inside the shop were unharmed -- "just the law enforcement officers were targeted."

Four. Armed. Trained. Ready willing and able.

What happened, OmSigDavid? Wrong cal. guns they were carrying? What, you idiot?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 18 • Views: 8,670 • Replies: 120

farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 04:13 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Hearts go ,out to their families and cop family. Now get the perps and fry em in EVO.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 04:18 pm
As long as they are loose, it could happen again.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 04:32 pm
this was 20 minutes from my house, and we have some families in our company who live in Lakewood. I have never looked up the stats but it has a rep for being a rough area. The rents are cheap so those who cant afford anything better or who want to pocket some of their housing money choose to live there, But I never would.

Reports are that these cops were doing anti-gang work. a lakewood cop had his personal car and his squad car torched by a gang in July. http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/crime/?cat=251

I have always known that Lakewood/tacoma has a serious gang problem, but it is obviously worse than I thought.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 04:59 pm
This is so sad. May they rest in peace.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 07:46 pm
the first of four identified
Quote:
Mark Renninger is a 12-year veteran with four years at Lakewood Police Department and 8 years with the Tukwila Police Department. He served on the regional Valley Special Response Team for 4 years as an entry team member and assistant team leader and 4 years with METRO SWAT as an entry team leader. During his tenure with Lakewood and Tukwila he has instructed in firearms, active shooter, less lethal, chemical munitions, patrol and SWAT tactics. Mark is also the District 1 Representative of the Washington State Tactical Officer’s Association, and an instructor for the WSCJTC/WSTOA SWAT Basic Course

http://www.wstoa.org/08conference/tracs/BusAssaults.html

It is disurbing that such a highly trained cop came up short, that a lone gun man could take out four cops out and still got away. This is a brazen as a high class mob hit.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 08:08 pm
Quote:
LAKEWOOD, Wash. -- Police have identified a person of interest in the fatal shootings of four Lakewood police officers.

Ed Troyer of the Pierce County Sheriff's Office said they are looking for 37-year-old Maurice Clemmons.

Troyer said evidence leads police to believe that Clemmons was in the area of the shootings. He has a lengthy criminal history.

The police officers were shot dead in a Pierce County coffee shop in what a sheriff's spokesman described as a "flat-out ambush" Sunday morning.

The officers -- three men and a woman from the Lakewood Police Department -- were sitting in the coffee shop with their computers, getting ready to begin their shifts when the gunman came in at about 8:15 a.m., fired on the officers and fled, said Troyer.

One of the slain officers was identified as Sergeant Mark Renninger, who grew up in Bethlehem, Penn.

A statement from his family said, "Mark was a professional, dedicated police officer who made the ultimate sacrifice. More importantly, he was a loving and devoted father, husband and family member who will be missed by many."

Renninger's family said the officer is survived by his wife, two daughters and a son.

Lakewood police said the other slain officers are Ronald Owens, 37, Tina Griswold, 40, and 42-year-old Greg Richards.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/21752863/detail.html
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 08:13 pm
Quote:
•Sgt. Mark Rennenger, 39: he had 13 years experience as a police officer. He is survived by a wife and three children.
•Ofc. Ronald Owen, 37: he had 12 years experience as a police officer. He is survived by a former wife and a daughter.
•Ofc. Tina Griswold, 40: she had 14 years of law enforcement experience. She is survived by a husband and two children.
•Ofc. Greg Richards, 42: he had eight years of law enforcement experience. He is survived by a wife and three children.

http://tacoma.komonews.com/

this is so horrible in so many ways..
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 08:49 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Four. Armed. Trained. Ready willing and able.

What happened, OmSigDavid? Wrong cal. guns they were carrying? What, you idiot?
Apparently, u idiot, thay were not paying attention. DO U DENY THAT??

Do u believe that thay WERE sufficiently attentive to their surroundings?
The 2nd Amendment does not warrant that u will win every gun fight.
It only protects your right to stand on an equal defensive footing with
practitioners of violent malice.

I am certain that thay were advised in their training to maintain
situational awareness, because this sort of thing has happened
in the past and it will happen in the future.

I sincerely marvel at your stupidity, Andy,
in implying that men who 'd commit 4 murders of armed, uniformed police,
in front of everybody, will obay severe, discriminatory gun control laws.

HOW do u propose to convince quadruple murderers
of police to do that?? Will u explain THAT to me?
Inquiring minds want to know.

David
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 08:57 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
AND they all were in body armour, this was an amazing crime in a very sick way.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 08:59 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Hearts go ,out to their families and cop family. Now get the perps and fry em in EVO.
What is EVO ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 09:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

AND they all were in body armour, this was an amazing crime in a very sick way.
Presumably, he used head shots.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 09:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

As long as they are loose, it could happen again.
If this was a gang-based hit,
then it WILL happen again, if that is what the gang decides to do,
regardless of the fate of this particular hit man.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 09:06 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I sincerely marvel at your stupidity, Andy,
in implying that men who 'd commit 4 murders of armed, uniformed police,
in front of everybody, will obay severe, discriminatory gun control laws.
HOW do u propose to convince quadruple murderers
of police to do that?? Will u explain THAT to me?
Inquiring minds want to know.

I neither said nor meant to imply anything of the sort. I am on record as being opposed to any more restrictive gun laws. Even the ones that we have on the books can't be enforced. That's a straw man you're fighting there, David.

My point was that these were four well-armed, well-trained (we must assume) professional peace officers who became victims in spite of the fact that they were well-armed. Your constant inane prattling about the necessity of going around armed was the point of addressing my post to you. Being armed certainly didn't help in this case, did it? And if it didn't help save the lives of pros why do you keep insisting that it is good self-defense for the average civilian with no urban combat training?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 09:12 pm

It woud have been a better ending
if one of the other customers, with a good angle on the killer,
had been armed and had opened up on the killer, taking him out, but alas,
the other customers were probably all busy obaying gun control laws.

In THAT sense, this is another victory for gun control.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 09:12 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Presumably, he used head shots

Yes, but he needed to get four in the head or neck before one got his/her weapon and fired...that means fast and accurate shots. How many people would assume that they could pull this off? Against officers with this many years experience, to include a decorated swat officer??
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 09:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Presumably, he used head shots

Yes, but he needed to get four in the head or neck before one got his/her weapon and fired...that means fast and accurate shots. How many people would assume that they could pull this off? Against officers with this many years experience, to include a decorated swat officer??
Apparently, that is what actually HAPPENED,
resulting in the 4 fatalities.

I don 't get your point ?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 09:22 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
My point is that it appears that we are at the point in our society were we can produce an individual who thinks that he can walk into a coffee shop and execute four highly experienced cops in body Armour, and not only do it but also get away, apparently unharmed (not known yet if he was hit).

What was it six months ago that we had four cops executed in Oakland? A few weeks ago 12 soldiers at fort Hood?

Are you not alarmed in spite of the belief that you know the solution?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 09:36 pm
Not to ignore that cops have been giving their life for us all along, but this has gotten unbearable, at least to me.
Quote:
According to FBI data, 306 of 521 officers who were feloniously killed between 1997 and 2006 were wearing body armor. More than half of those 306 officers were shot in the head area, 9 percent in the neck/throat area, and 34 percent in the torso area. Of the 103 shots that hit officers in the torso area, 20 penetrated the vest because the vest was not designed to stop that particular weapon, while the remainder entered the torso through open side or shoulder panels, or above or below the vest

http://www.bodyarmornews.com/body-armor-news/officers_require_body_armor.html
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 09:50 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:
Your constant inane prattling about the necessity of going around armed was the point of addressing my post to you.

If you don't like his obsession with guns and constant gun talk, starting a thread calling him out on guns is, you know, counterproductive and all. He'd probably talk about guns.