Four cops offed in WA

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 09:55 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Merry Andrew wrote:
Your constant inane prattling about the necessity of going around armed was the point of addressing my post to you.

If you don't like his obsession with guns and constant gun talk, starting a thread calling him out on guns is, you know, counterproductive and all. He'd probably talk about guns.

Very Happy
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 10:02 pm
@Merry Andrew,
David wrote:
I sincerely marvel at your stupidity, Andy,
in implying that men who 'd commit 4 murders of armed, uniformed police,
in front of everybody, will obay severe, discriminatory gun control laws.

HOW do u propose to convince quadruple murderers
of police to do that?? Will u explain THAT to me?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Merry Andrew wrote:
I neither said nor meant to imply anything of the sort.
I am on record as being opposed to any more restrictive gun laws.
Even the ones that we have on the books can't be enforced.
That's a straw man you're fighting there, David.
U called ME out, by name, accusing me of being an idiot, PRESUMABLY,
because of my libertarian support of the 2nd Amendment, as interpreted
by the USSC in D.C. v. HELLER.

Merry Andrew wrote:
My point was that these were four well-armed, well-trained (we must assume) professional peace officers who became victims in spite of the fact that they were well-armed. Your constant inane prattling about the necessity of going around armed was the point of addressing my post to you. Being armed certainly didn't help in this case, did it?
Your argument woud be valid IF I had alleged that possession of guns will render
a person IMMUNE from any subsequent injury, regardless of whether he is attentive or not.
My guns will not protect me while I sleep; after I awaken: that is another story.

I believe that everyone KNOWS that in a life-threatening emergency,
it is best to have emergency equipment (for instance, a life jacket on a ship),
but sometimes even people perish in the ocean while thay wear the life jacket,
but on ships n planes, thay STILL tell u to put on a life jacket in such an emergency.
Next time thay say that, will u tell them to shut up and call them idiots, as u did with me?
Will u refuse to wear a seatbelt in a car, Andy,
because people get killed in collisions even with seatbelts?

Merry Andrew wrote:

And if it didn't help save the lives of pros why do you keep insisting
that it is good self-defense for the average civilian with no urban combat training?
I do so because I know that when propely used emergency equipment can rescue u (sometimes).

I have repeatedly posted here of how while driving at around
1 a.m., I was alone on the road, except for an old car
that was tailgating me for a while. My attention was directed
forward, deflected c.30 degrees to the right, as I drove slowly.

After a while, I heard a shot and a bullethole opened up
in my driver's door window. I then saw that the old car
was driving, holding exactly abreast of mine, until I withdrew
my 2 inch stainless steel mirror .44 revolver, whereupon
I heard a scream and the old car showed new life, departing apace.

I did not even have time to line up a shot.
The mere visible display of defensive firepower ended the emergency.
According to Andy, I shoud now be unarmed because of
what happened with this hit in the coffeeshop.

I don 't understand the reasoning of that.
NO SALE, Andy.

I refuse to pay for other people's mistakes.

David
Rockhead

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 10:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
i don't think he likes the red print, either dave...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 10:25 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

i don't think he likes the red print, either dave...
In THIS thread, I did not use a red color.

ANDY reddened some of my words,
to direct attention thereto.

I have no problem with that.
I see nothing rong with that.

David
Rockhead

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 10:27 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
hmmm, mebbe it's the phonetics then.

or are you by chance a yankee fan?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 10:29 pm
Quote:
Posted By Patrick O'Callahan on November 29, 2009 at 6:59 pm Share this
This editorial will appear in tomorrow's print edition.

Shock. Sympathy. Anger.

Such words hardly describe the depth of what citizens " and the staff of this newspaper " felt Sunday after hearing that four Lakewood police officers were gunned down in a Parkland coffee shop.

Maybe the shock is a good place to start. In Pierce County, deliberate killings of police officers have been rare. Prior to Sunday, only four had occurred over the last 30 years. In each case, a single officer died. Suddenly, four officers " Ronald Owens, Tina Griswold, Greg Richards and Sgt. Mark Renninger " are dead in a single day.

Four officers, one shooting. There’s no precedent in state history, and only a few precedents in the nation’s history. Officers aren’t told this nearly enough, but the vast majority of citizens cherish them, respect them and deeply appreciate the risks they willingly incur protecting the innocent from the violent and the predatory. The killing of one of these valiant professionals rips a terrible wound in any community. The killing of four leaves us reeling.

It’s not just that they were killed; it’s that they were apparently killed for no other reason than they were officers. When officers are murdered in the line of duty, it is usually because they are trying to arrest a criminal or stop a crime in progress. They are killed in the heat of action, because they are in the way.

This looks like a different kind of killing. The four Lakewood officers had casually gathered, doing paperwork. The killer appears to have deliberately stalked them, singling them out solely because of the shields they wore. No one else at the scene was harmed.

Just a few weeks ago, Seattle Officer Timothy Brenton was singled out and gunned down by a cop-hater. Such killings rank " with the murder of children and a handful of other atrocities " as the most outrageous of crimes.

The surviving loved ones of these officers deserve the sympathy of every citizen. Yes, families understand the perils of these jobs. But spouses, children and parents don’t expect the officers they love to be executed, mob-style, while seated peacefully in a coffee shop. No one " officer or family " signed up for this.

As of this writing, the killer has not been found. Many angered citizens are hoping out loud that police will shoot the suspect rather than arrest him. But it’s safe to assume that the police will " as they do routinely " use the minimum possible force. If possible, they will take the suspect into custody unharmed, read him his legal rights and book him safely into jail. That professionalism, multiplied fourfold, is part of what we lost Sunday. The loss, inexpressible, cannot be made good

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/opinion/2009/11/29/a-crime-and-a-loss-beyond-expression/
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 10:51 pm

Addressing Andy 's remark against me, that:

"Your constant inane prattling about the necessity of going around armed
was the point of addressing my post to you"
I just wish to mention that my reference thereto has abated, to some extent,
relative to earlier years, because I am already getting satisfied
that gun control laws will end fairly soon; maybe, by July of 2011,
in my opinion. Accordingly, I need not be as aggressive in these fora
in propagating the philosophy as I was before HELLER.

I remain fully willing to discuss victim disarmament
or citizens' being properly prepared for predatory emergencies,
but I no longer deem it as imperative, as formerly I did.
My future discussions of this subject possibly might be less than before, depending on my mood.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 10:55 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

hmmm, mebbe it's the phonetics then.

or are you by chance a yankee fan?
As distinct from the Confederacy ?
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 12:43 am
Quote:
By SCOTT GUTIERREZ
SEATTLEPI.COM STAFF

Before joining the Lakewood Police Department, Tina Griswold earned a reputation as a hard-charging, well-liked officer in Lacey who never let things slide when it came to officer safety.

"When she would make stops, she would use her flashlight the right way and approach cars correctly. When she would go to a disturbance call, she would go by all the appropriate tactics taught at the academy," said Lacey police Cmdr. John Suessman, who knew Griswold during her days on patrol in the city of 39,000 outside Olympia.

"She was one of those officers you never had to remind. She had excellent survival skills and that's why it is so hard for me to believe that someone could ambush her," he said.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/412738_griswold30.html
roger

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 01:37 am
@hawkeye10,
Anyone can be ambushed, unless they want to do like Hickock in his later years; put your back to the wall, and walk down the sidewalk sideways with gun in hand.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 01:58 am
@roger,
Sure, but even the mob would not send in one professional hit man to whack four. and I doubt that this killer is a professional , though we dont know for sure. And this was four highly experienced cops with weapons and armour....you get what I am saying? This is outrageous by any standard.
0 Replies

Pamela Rosa

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 03:37 am
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e391/Tonyfl/2010385710.jpg

* Sgt. Mark Rennenger, 39: he had 13 years experience as a police officer. He is survived by a wife and three children. He previously worked in the Tukwila Police Department after serving in the military.

* Ofc. Ronald Owen, 37: he had 12 years experience as a police officer. He is survived by a former wife and a daughter. He previously served with the Washington State Patrol.

* Ofc. Tina Griswold, 40: she had 14 years of law enforcement experience. She is survived by a husband and two children. She was a former member of the Shelton and Lacey Police Departments.

* Ofc. Greg Richards, 42: he had eight years of law enforcement experience. He is survived by a wife and three children. He was a former member of the Kent Police Department.

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 03:40 am
@Pamela Rosa,
I am going to take a wild guess and assume that your point is that the prime suspect is a life long criminal, whom is of course black.......Cause I already had all of the info but for the pics.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 04:13 am
@OmSigDAVID,
EVO EWxtra Virgin OLIve OIL. It was a bad attempt at humor in this tragic tale. I dont know what thi may do to police tactics what with all the recent assassinations that have been successfully commited. MAybe we will have to get to a systeme wherein a cop will have to wear a helmet with an eyepiece that has a cell phone based identification capability. One opf the cops should have at least been on alert of this was such a bad crime area.

I cant believe that there were no signals or events leading up to this.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 04:29 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
One opf the cops should have at least been on alert of this was such a bad crime area.
That 's the whole thing; literally a matter of life n death.

farmerman wrote:

I cant believe that there were no signals or events leading up to this.
I suspect that the assassin appreciated the value of stealth.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 04:48 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
By SCOTT GUTIERREZ
SEATTLEPI.COM STAFF

Before joining the Lakewood Police Department, Tina Griswold earned a reputation as a hard-charging, well-liked officer in Lacey who never let things slide when it came to officer safety.

"When she would make stops, she would use her flashlight the right way and approach cars correctly. When she would go to a disturbance call, she would go by all the appropriate tactics taught at the academy," said Lacey police Cmdr. John Suessman, who knew Griswold during her days on patrol in the city of 39,000 outside Olympia.

"She was one of those officers you never had to remind. She had excellent survival skills and that's why it is so hard for me to believe that someone could ambush her," he said.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/412738_griswold30.html
It appears to me, that the fatal flaw was tacit TRUST
in the folks by whom the victims were surrounded; alertness was subordinated to that trust.
A person who maintains a hi state of alertness is called "paranoid" and fearful by liberals.

I will openly confess that I do not maintain a hi state of alertness
in public, nor am I fearful, but I am not a hi value target,
dressing as I usually do in an ordinary woolen 3 piece suit, not any uniform.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 04:54 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Anyone can be ambushed, unless they want to do like Hickock in his later years;
put your back to the wall, and walk down the sidewalk sideways with gun in hand.
HE fell victim to trust, also.
He KNEW that he shoud not sit with his back to the door,
but he did it anyway; (his friends were kidding him by putting him in that position).
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 05:16 am
This is really sad. It obvious this was a targeted shooting. Until they are caught, I fear more could come. I'm just hoping that some sort of forensic evidence was left behind that will help catch these killers and quick.

To the musings on the police being armed (Merry v David), I think the common sense point here is that people with a plan will be successful. These officers were gunned down in a vulnerable moment. That moment was chosen for a reason. We don't get to choose when we are attacked. We don't get a warning from the criminal about when to be ready.

T
K
O
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 05:26 am
A swat scene is underway right now, in connection to this killing.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 05:30 am
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

This is really sad. It obvious this was a targeted shooting. Until they are caught, I fear more could come. I'm just hoping that some sort of forensic evidence was left behind that will help catch these killers and quick.

To the musings on the police being armed (Merry v David), I think the common sense point here is that people with a plan will be successful. These officers were gunned down in a vulnerable moment. That moment was chosen for a reason. We don't get to choose when we are attacked. We don't get a warning from the criminal about when to be ready.

T
K
O
We don 't ofen agree, but u got it right this time.

David