Ionus

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 01:04 am
Somewhere in my readings, I came across the story of one of the first missionaries to Ireland. He was to travel through a county helping the locals to set up churches, having been invited by several communities.

On a couple of occassions he was met by several "young comely women naked" as the day they were born and reflected how the vow of chastity is not always easy. They were naked when they met him on the road, took him to their village and sat around a table in very serious discusion for several hours, to the bemusement of the missionary who had some difficulty focusing on the problem in hand. But the women were nothing but 100% business about the church community and the possibility of one day getting their own priest (for their church).

I cant help but wonder if this was an ancient Celtic custom, whereby women (who had always a great deal of equality in Celtic law) would go naked to negotiations as a sign of honesty and complete trust.
Now, I need a reference to that or similar stories for a paper I would like to present but I can not find it anywhere. A little help ?

Sglass

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 01:30 am
Skyclad
Skyclad properly means "naked outdoors", though it's frequently used to mean nudity anywhere.
Some contemporary Wiccans perfom rituals skyclad or at least naked. This is done for a few different reasons. Although some hereditary witches claim that their families have always practiced skyclad, nudity was probably introduced into witchcraft by Gerald Gardner, the father of modern witchcraft, who was a nudist and insisted his coven practice nude. The Charge of the Goddess, attributed to the goddess Aradia, is the closest thing witches have to a standard prayer. The charge contains the line "and you shall be naked in your rites".

Discovered in Italy in a 15th century witch's "confession", the charge suggestes older roots to the connection between nudity and witchcraft. Doreen Valiente, Gardner's high priestess, cites the frescos of the Villa of Mysteries at Pompeii as a precedent for nude rituals.

Clothing is also shed so that individuals can be as natural as possible when worshipping the gods and simply, because the coven's circle is a safe environment. Starhawk states in Spiral Dance, "nudity establishes a closeness and honesty among coveners and 'is a sign that a witches loyalty is to the truth before any ideology or any comforting illusions'". Today, many pagans do worship skyclad. Some pagans perform rituals without clothing but they wear special jewelry or cords.

The Digambara (skyclad) monks of Jainism, as well as other Indian saddhus ("holy men"), have been practicing religious nudity for at least 2500 years.

Fighting skyclad was also a battle practice of ancient celtic tribes who would go into battle with no clothes although made up with woad war paint.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 01:53 am
@Ionus,
Within the Germanic tribes it was common that the children were naked.

It is known that Celtic female warriors fought bare busted.

Only since Epiphanius of Salamis (ca. 310"320 " 403) the Church condemned nakedness.
Sglass

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 01:53 am
Your key words here for research are skyclad, wiccan, mayday, celtic warriors.

I have an extensive collection of Irish books. Have fun.
Sglass

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 01:55 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The Celtic male warriors fought completely Skyclad.
Ionus

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:58 am
@Sglass,
Quote:
The Celtic male warriors fought completely Skyclad.
Yes, but I would add some.. It seems to have been a vow taken by an individual warrior belonging to a warrior sect. Most Celts fought with armour, the Romans adopting the Celtic helmet, chain mail and shield, prior to which they looked like Greeks.
Ionus

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 03:03 am
@Sglass,
I thought it was in my book collection. Do you remember something similar, anywhere in one of your books? Missionaries in Ireland, anything ? I may have that book somewhere, I just cant find it after a week of searching so the context is not straight forward.

I will try at my old Alma Mater down the road, and I will certainly try your suggestions. Thanks.
Ionus

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 03:05 am
Thanks everyone. You have helped and I appreciate it.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 04:38 am
@Sglass,
I can just see men going into combat where sharp weapons are around with their jewels hanging free<NOT>.

Nice story but as a male I question if there is enough drugs or religious faith in the universe to had have that occur in the real world.
Ionus

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 04:55 am
@BillRM,
So you were there ?
BillRM

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 11:05 am
@Ionus,
So you were there ?
---------------------------
Unlike you I was not there.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 11:45 am
Billrm why don't you go home. This thread is not about sex.

It's for those intellectually endowed.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 11:49 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

I can just see men going into combat where sharp weapons are around with their jewels hanging free<NOT>.

Nice story but as a male I question if there is enough drugs or religious faith in the universe to had have that occur in the real world.

Are you seriously doubting this or just sarcasm?
McGentrix

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 11:50 am
@Sglass,
Sglass wrote:

Billrm why don't you go home. This thread is not about sex.

It's for those intellectually endowed.

I came here for the pictures, am leaving disappointed.
BillRM

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 11:54 am
@Sglass,
And beside not being about sex it is not a made up thread with you playing games either.

You have no shame at all in your heart for doing your best to hoax this online communtiy?

I wonder what kind of a loser you happen to be in real life.
BillRM

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 11:57 am
@McGentrix,
Are you seriously doubting this or just sarcasm?
----------------------------------------------------------
Yes I think the chances of anyone in any time period going into battle with their family jewels hanging in the wind just asking to be cut off is zero or less.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 11:59 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
Most Celts fought with armour, the Romans adopting the Celtic helmet, chain mail and shield, prior to which they looked like Greeks.

It certainly depends on what period of/in the Celtic history you are referring.

Opposite to what many think, the Celts had quite a long (and important) in continental Europe before they invaded Ireland.
They mainly had - at around 700 BC - an (imported) Etruscan and/or Greek 'outfit'. At least that's what you find in their villages and tombs.
Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:06 pm
@BillRM,
Okay, here comes BillRM, stand back everyone.

Bill is the world's greatest expert. On anything. Just ask him, he'll tell you where you're wrong. From history to nuclear physics. Despite the fact that everyone who had any contact with the ancient Celts -- from Julius Caesar on -- has mentioned this peculiarity of sometimes going into battle naked, Bill knows better.

It must be really wonderful to be this knowledgable on all subject.

Friggin' moron.
Sglass

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:08 pm
@BillRM,
And what else have you heard from your head lately. If you knew what you were talking about you would really be in trouble.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:13 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Yes I think the chances of anyone in any time period going into battle with their family jewels hanging in the wind just asking to be cut off is zero or less.

Your an expert in history especially archaeology (i.e. Hallstatt period) I suppose.