Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:15 pm
@Ionus,
So far I've browsed quickly through Th. Cahill's How the Irish Saved Civilization and Frank Delaney's The Celts and have come up empty. Much of my own library is still on the mainland; I only moved to Hawaii in March. But Sglass has a pretty good selection of books here and I'll keep looking.
BillRM

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:22 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Your an expert in history especially archaeology (i.e. Hallstein period) I suppose.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
No, I am an expert in however to how I would feel about going into combat with long sharp swords around with my family jewels hanging free.

Second commonsense would indicate that this feeling in likely share with the vast majority of my fellow males down through history.

As Judge Judi would say if it does not make sense it is not true.

And this is nonsense on it face.
Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:24 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
No, I am an expert in however to how I would feel about going into combat with long sharp swords around with my family jewels hanging free.

Yes, but we're not talking about you, are we, Bill?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:27 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
This is a true to original copy of a male Celtic warrior and furniture about 700 BC, reconstructed after reliefs on bronze situlae from the East Hallstatt zone.

http://i33.tinypic.com/11bsn7n.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:34 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Okay, here comes BillRM, stand back everyone.

Bill is the world's greatest expert. On anything. Just ask him, he'll tell you where you're wrong. From history to nuclear physics. Despite the fact that everyone who had any contact with the ancient Celts -- from Julius Caesar on -- has mentioned this peculiarity of sometimes going into battle naked, Bill knows better.

It must be really wonderful to be this knowledgable on all subject.

Friggin' moron.

I'm quite interested to hear/read Bill's interpretation of the known literature (i.e. by Hekataios and Herodot ) about the Celts as well as about the findings. And especially, how he interprets the Gundestrup Cauldron.
BillRM

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:35 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Well are you now claiming that you would be willing to go into battle with your family jewel hanging free?

Let see how many ohter males here would be willing to get into a sword fight under those conditions<lol>.

Come on guys this claim is beyond being silly.
BillRM

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:37 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I'm quite interested to hear/read Bill's interpretation of the known literature (i.e. by Hekataios and Herodot ) about the Celts as well as about the findings. And especially, how he interprets the Gundestrup Cauldron.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Writing fiction and stories with no connection to the real world did not begin yesterday my silly friends.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:40 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

The Celts didn't have long sharp swords but at first smaller, bended cutting swords than from about 700 BC onwards fighting-daggers (the one below, found in the sea close to Estavayer-le-Lac, is made of 43 {!] pieces):

http://i34.tinypic.com/1gisr4.jpg
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:40 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Well are you now claiming that you would be willing to go into battle with your family jewel hanging free?

No, you moron! I am not claiming anything of the sort. Learn to read, fachrissake, will you please.

I don't think anyone on this forum would want to do that. (Well, Setanta maybe...) Get it thgrough your thick and brainless skull that we are talking about a specific group of people at a specific time in history, not modern man in 21st century industrialized world.

Sheesh!
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:41 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Writing fiction and stories with no connection to the real world did not begin yesterday my silly friends.

Well, my Greek isn't that good at all - but at what parts of their writings are you referring here especially?
BillRM

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:45 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Well, my Greek isn't that good at all - but at what parts of their writings are you referring here especially?
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Any part of any writings that claimed that anyone had gone into battle with their family jewel hanging free at any time in any period in the long history of the human race.
Sglass

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:53 pm
@BillRM,
And your English isn't any better.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:54 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Any part of any writings that claimed that anyone had gone into battle with their family jewel hanging free at any time in any period in the long history of the human race.

I unstood your opinion.

But I wasn't asking that.

Besides, what do you think about the above mentioned artefacts and other archaelogical findings? Is the Hallstatt period, in your opinion, a .... what exactly?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:57 pm
@Sglass,
Sglass wrote:

And your English isn't any better.

I'm rather sure that my English is better than my Greek. The latter is really just a minor basic knowledge of the language - I frankly admit that I've read all Greek sources in their Latin translations, if possible.
Sglass

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 01:06 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I'm confused Walter. I was referring to Billrm's pathetic grasp of the English language. There is nothing wrong with your English Walter.

I curtsy to your intellectual prowness and knowledge.

Guess I best be more careful about whose buttons I push. Confused
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 01:07 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Get it thgrough your thick and brainless skull that we are talking about a specific group of people at a specific time in history, not modern man in 21st century industrialized world.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So you are claiming instead, that unlike modern mankind the men of a few thousands years ago did not care about having their jewels cut off?

That human nature have somehow change over the last few thousands years?

Lord how silly once more can you be?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 01:14 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

So you are claiming instead, that unlike modern mankind the men of a few thousands years ago did not care about having their jewels cut off?

That human nature have somehow change over the last few thousands years?

Lord how silly once more can you be?

True. We really should neglect some thousand years of human history.

Honestly, Bill, if your eyes are okay - though I do have some doubts abot that - you can see such in any museum which has a pre-historic department.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 01:15 pm
Methinks this gentleman is a seasoned troll obsessed with his unwashed genetalia.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 01:18 pm
@BillRM,
Bill: If you were going to terrify your enemy, you would stand before him naked and totally unafraid. We were always told, the boys, never the girls, that the ancient Irish fighters would march down the battlefield fully exposed and, if you can believe it, fully erect. Like I said, no fear on my face might put a bit of fear in my enemy's soul.

Here's a bit about the Celts:
CELTS IN BATTLE
Polybius, who lived between about 202 and 120 BC, gives a full account of how the Celts fought at the battle of Telamon in 225 BC; it is worth quoting at length because it highlights several recurring characteristics: 'The Celts had drawn up the Gaesatae from the Alps to face their enemies on the rear ... and behind them the Insubres .... The Insubres and the Boii wore trousers and light cloaks, but the Gaesatae in their overconfidence had thrown these aside and stood in front of the whole army naked, with nothing but their arms; for they thought that thus they would be more efficient, since some of the ground was overgrown with thorns which would catch on their clothes and impede the use of their weapons.'

On the other hand the fine order and the noise of the Celtic host terrified the Romans; for there were countless trumpeters and horn blowers and since the whole army was shouting its war cries at the same time there was such a confused sound that the noise seemed to come not only from the trumpeters and the soldiers but also from the countryside which was joining in the echo.

No less terrifying were the appearance and gestures of the naked warriors in front, all of whom were in the prime of life and of excellent physique. All the warriors in the front ranks were adorned with gold torcs and armlets. The Romans were particularly terrified by the sight of these men... .

http://www.isle-of-skye.org.uk/celtic-encyclopaedia/celt_c3.htm

Joe(I'll continue to wear some protection, thank you.)Nation

BillRM

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 01:36 pm
@Joe Nation,
Bill: If you were going to terrify your enemy, you would stand before him naked and totally unafraid. We were always told, the boys, never the girls, that the ancient Irish fighters would march down the battlefield fully exposed and, if you can believe it, fully erect. Like I said, no fear on my face might put a bit of fear in my enemy's soul.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Somehow the end result is likely that their enemies would end up collecting their penis/balls and displaying same to the next wave of such fools coming on exposed.

Yes seeing your uncle balls on a stick as you close with your enemies would not be good for your peace of mind<grin>.