BillRM

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 09:06 pm
@Sglass,
Well you did beat me to placing you under ignor<grin>.

Naked warrior indeed in Europe no less where the climate would not be kind to such nonsense either.

Yes no matter how sense free a claim is if it written in a book somewhere it must be true.

Lord am I the only one here that used commonsense and intellect to look at the world?

Ionus

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 09:15 pm
@Setanta,
There were many underlying problems, most of which involved Roman arrogance and bullying but the Iceni had been peaceful till the brutal treatment of their royal family. As for Seutonius, the war could have gone the other way very easily, it certainly was no walkover for him.
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 01:00 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Lord am I the only one here that used commonsense and intellect to look at the world?

Apparently so. You are the only person in the whole world who is right. Every scholar, every historian, every eye-witness who has described this, everyone else on this thread, just literally everyone in the world -- is WRONG!

Wow. How'z'it feel, Bill, to be so intellectually superior to the rest of the world?
Sglass

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 01:03 am
@Ionus,
The Warrior Queen was flogged and her daughters raped by Roman slaves. She lost somewhere in the vicinity of 80,000 men, women and children. The Romans lost perhaps 400. In the final battle she took poison rather than be taken alive.
Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 02:29 am
@Ionus,
I am aware of the situation, in detail. You needn't tell me about how the campaign might have gone (calling it a war lends to the Iceni's orgy of slaughter a military sophistication they don't deserve). I did not say that it was a walk0ver for Suetonius. I simply made an observation of the fact that tens of thousands of lives were lost as a result of the arrogance of Roman officials in dealing with the tribes.
Sglass

@Sglass,
What you have to remember Ionus is that Bodecea was not a Celt but a Brit. When her husband (Prasutagus) died his land and household were plundered by Roman officers and slaves. Bodecea, again, was a Brit and would have never approached the Romans in the nude to negotiate.

Bodecea is most likely the etymological root of bodacious.
0 Replies

Setanta

@Sglass,
You ignore the tens of thousands (including a good many Roman soldiers) who were slaughtered by the Iceni before Suetonius destroyed their mob.
dadpad

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 02:47 am
@Setanta,
I are here.....
where de nekkid women?
Ionus

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 03:07 am
@dadpad,
Quote:
I are here.....
where de nekkid women?
Sorry bloke...you just missed them...but I am not guilty of false advertising..you cant prove that...no-one saw me do it
dadpad

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 03:17 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Quote:
I are here.....
where de nekkid women?
Sorry bloke...you just missed them...but I am not guilty of false advertising..you cant prove that...no-one saw me do it

dammit! story of my life. still the history lesson is s good subtitute.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 04:19 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

dammit! story of my life. still the history lesson is s good subtitute.

Masoist!
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 05:35 am
@Setanta,
Quoting a kill ratio of 200: 1 implies a walkover dont you think ? Where are the Romans killed in the ix legion, or previously in the three major towns that were wiped out ? One estimate of Roman and Romanised losses was put at 70,000, not far from the estimate you said of 80,000 Celts. They were miltarily sophisticated and nearly beat the two combined Legions returning from Wales. And they were Celts. Brits and Gauls are but two localised names for Celtic culture.
Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 05:56 am
@Ionus,
Jesus Christ, strawman much? Not only was i not "quoting a kill ratio," when someone else did as much, i reminded them of the slaughter inflicted by the Iceni before Suetonius caught up to them. I made no estimate on the number of Celts killed. Given that the historian Suetonius and Dio Cassius do not agree about the numbers involved and the casualties, i mentioned no figures more precise than to observe that tens of thousands were killed by the Iceni, and then that tens of thousands of Iceni were killed. It is utterly false that the Iceni defeated any single force of Romans of the size of a legion. The number of Romans killed by the Iceni to which you refer is the number who were killed in total in at least three separate incidents. Overrunning your enemy by sheer weight of numbers does not constitute military sophistication.

Your reading comprehension skills suck, Bubba. Have the courtesy not to accuse me of writing what i have not in fact written.
Ionus

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 06:12 am
@Setanta,
Ooops ! Sorry. I was in a hurry and shot the wrong guy. I meant Sglass. I hope you can take this with better grace than I gave. Embarrassed Embarrassed
BillRM

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 07:10 am
@Merry Andrew,
You are the only person in the whole world who is right. Every scholar, every historian, every eye-witness who has described this, everyone else on this thread, just literally everyone in the world -- is WRONG!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eyewitness? This had as many eyewitness as the myths concerning Jusus my friend and if you google this nonsense add the word myths in order to get the maximum numbers of hits.

It is not fact it is myth and as in stories and is not true as in nonsense but cute stories!!!!!!!!

How stupid can you be?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 07:16 am
@Sglass,
Oh in another fact concerning women is that no grave had ever been found with weapons in it that also contain a woman remains as is common with men of that tribe and period.

So the myths that large numbers of women also fought seem in question however I had done no research of the warrior queen so I had no opinion on her and beside she was shown on the history channel and they are never wrong.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 07:32 am
You know I just have this picture firmly in my mind thank to you gentlemen of a group of naked men waving swords hitting a Roman shield wall.

Myths can be wonderful an interesting but that what they are myths.

Oh, I am also sure that having naked men waving swords running to attack your shield wall would cause your well train and battle harden troops to cut and run away.

Maybe they would be laughing so hard that they could not defend themselves now that is far more likely.

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 07:39 am
@Ionus,
I didn't really take it with a good grace, so you have my apology for that. Having Bill in this thread makes me short-tempered, because he's such a f*ckin' idiot, and hasn't the good sense to keep his mouth shut when it's obvious to everyone that he's made a fool of himself.

That, of course, is no fault of yours, so please excuse the tone of my objection.
BillRM

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 07:44 am
@Setanta,
didn't really take it with a good grace, so you have my apology for that. Having Bill in this thread makes me short-tempered, because he's such a f*ckin' idiot, and hasn't the good sense to keep his mouth shut when it's obvious to everyone that he's made a fool of himself.

That, of course, is no fault of yours, so please excuse the tone of my objection.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOL what a fine gentleman you are. One in a million at lest.
Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 08:39 am
@BillRM,
" . . . at lest?" What the hell is that supposed to mean? Learn to spell clown--it's bad enough that you so routinely display your ignorance, what makes it worse is how badly you spell, and even worse than that, how badly you express yourself in what one assumes is your native language.
0 Replies