spendius

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 06:21 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
Augustus is my kind of guy.

He is reported to have put somebody's eyes out with his fingers. One supposes he had people to hold the victim down. He was a brilliant spin doctor. He turned a republic into a dictatorship oh so sweetly. Hardly anybody noticed.

But he wasn't as big an arsehole as Tiberius.
Ionus

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 06:25 pm
@BillRM,
Many thanks Bill..I will check out those references for the original sources.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 06:31 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
He turned a republic into a dictatorship
I think a dictatorship was steadily growing well before Octavius. He just changed who was running it.

Yes, Tiberius was definitely far more ego-centric. The episodes in the swimming pool for example.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 06:33 pm
@Ionus,
I know Bill fires you up, but look at him for who he is..someone so lonely for human contact they are prepared to accept abuse. That he has little or no human contact is what makes him annoying
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry Ionus you do not understand me at all.

As my opinion of those who offer the abuse is far far lower then their opinion of me so I could care less.

It is fact somewhat amusing to me overall. Add to that for everyone who post on a thread there are ten times or more who just read it, somehow I do not think that they are coming across as anything other then what they truly are.

Frank or whatever his name is who ask from me information then turn around and insult me out of the blue and that I did find to be annoying not amusing as I was not expecting him to be an asshole.

Far as human contact or lack of it, even those I had a household of five repeat five cats I still have human contact starting with one hell of a wife.

Unlike the people on this thread, at least for the most part, she is clearly my intellectual superior.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 06:42 pm
@BillRM,
honest curiosity on my part Bill, what is your first/primary language?
BillRM

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 06:47 pm
@dyslexia,
Honest curiosity for real?

Why would I not trust you<grin>?

HMM English sub- section New Jersey/Pennsylvania.

Ionus

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 06:54 pm
@BillRM,
Fair enough.

As to the original topic, it is obvious you would not do go into combat naked, but you are not everyone. The Romans would most certainly not do it but they were deeply shocked by the Celts going to combat naked. This is why they commented on it. It went against their concept of decency and their concept of not taking stupid risks with one's life. They also commented on how the Celts fought as indivduals in the early battles, something they knew would fail but later they commented on how the Celts had learnt from Roman tactics and fought in formations. In one latter battle, the Celts were surrounded but the rear ranks simply did an about face and the battle continued, showing a discipline and courage the Romans had to admire.

IMO, the number who fought naked has been exagerated, but that they did so I do not think is in doubt. I think it was more like other warrior societies where a warrior would make a vow, and for the Celts fighting naked was a sign of that vow.
Before the Romans, when they fought other Celts, there was a lot of individual fighting where being naked may make it slightly more difficult for a man to kill you. As an example, some people make very bad snipers because they will not shoot another man when he is taking a crap. The sudden realisation that you are taking a human life can cause a momentry pause.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 06:54 pm
@BillRM,
yeah that makes sense, I was pretty sure it wasn't american.
Ionus

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 07:01 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
starting with one hell of a wife
You are doing better than me..two divorces and loneliness for 6 years so far...
BillRM

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 07:08 pm
@Ionus,
This is my second marriage, the first in the 1980s turn me off to the whole idea and even those I had known my wife for 25 years we only been married for the last three.

Strange we had have an on and off relationship and part of the time a long distance relationship over the years but since I meet her over the CIS network in 1985 she had been the only woman I could see committing to.
Ionus

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 07:17 pm
@BillRM,
Good for you Bill. I hope it continues.
BillRM

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 08:07 pm
@Ionus,
And I hope you find someone to love and be love by Ionus.

Second comment my now wife turned me into a cat lover many decades ago and they are great non-human company indeed.

Smokey our new kitten at the moment is thinking about jumping down onto my laptop.

Her mother is in the shower/tube making a hell of a noise by batting around the stopper.

In any case you might think about having a pet if at all possible but not five unless you are as crazy as we are.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 08:09 pm
@dyslexia,
You are so bad. Take your blood pressure meds and go to bed without your dinner.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 08:10 pm
@dyslexia,
yeah that makes sense, I was pretty sure it wasn't american.
-------------------------------------------------------------
LOL...........see what I get for trusting you!
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 05:43 pm
I think the druids controlled everything. They were the warrior priests and I wouldn't be surprised they fought naked. They had magic mushrooms and stuff like that. It was their lack of a written language that limited their success. The Celts like Tocharians had a written language probably due to their proximity to Anatolia where they traded and migrated to the Tarim Basin around 2000 when the glaciers of the mountains and the siberia had not yet melted away. The Tarim Basin and central asia must have been green.
spendius

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 06:07 pm
@talk72000,
Thanks talk. That's very enlightening.

Where's these naked women is what I want to know. Are they shy?
Sglass

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 06:21 pm
The Goths used the runic alpha
Sglass

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 06:26 pm
The runic alphabet first used by the Goths which consisted of 24 letters, 18 consonants and 6 vowels. It is likely the Goths derived them from Helleno Italic writing.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 06:27 pm
@spendius,
sorry should be 2000 bc.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 03:23 am
@Sglass,
Sglass wrote:

The Goths used the runic alpha

Sglass wrote:

The runic alphabet first used by the Goths which consisted of 24 letters, 18 consonants and 6 vowels. It is likely the Goths derived them from Helleno Italic writing.

Well, the first (until now) known runic letters are from the second century, found in Northern Germany/Southern Denmark and Sweden, used by Germanic tribes.

The 'letters' may have come from an Italian-Etruscan alphabet (most think so) or from the Latin alphabet or (which isn't followed a lot anymore) from the Hellenistic alphabet.
The latter would point to the Goths - they were said to have had the runes since the 6th century BC.

That theory, however, isn't followed anymore since the Germanic tribes had had the runes already before they had had any contact with the Goths. (It was popular before the Germanic findings; or because people didn't know about them.)