Francis

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 02:24 pm
@BillRM,
I'm getting a bit confused..

So, Hannibal prevented the Romans from expanding in Europe?

(If so, I'll invoke Spendius help!)
Francis

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 02:30 pm
@Sglass,
No, just standard warriors, this thread is about naked women..

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/gismonda/Celtic.jpg
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 02:35 pm
@Francis,
Trust a frenchman.
Francis

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 02:42 pm
@dadpad,
If the warrior's rest looks like this, I want to be a warrior!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_kQbb343RYBk/SEWpAY5K3yI/AAAAAAAAAEA/bevbv87KcRY/S670/003.jpg
Sglass

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 02:45 pm
@dadpad,
You can always depend on Francis.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 02:47 pm
@Francis,
Who painted that? Eakins?
BillRM

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 02:48 pm
@Francis,
So, Hannibal prevented the Romans from expanding in Europe?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No that event happen a "few” hundred years before when the Roman Republic was in place not the Roman Empire and they was in a death struggle with the city of Carthage. Sorry I am not enough of an expert to have all the dates at my fingers tips.

The lost of the three legions was at the hands of German tribes and occurs when Augustus was the Emperor during the Empire stage.

We are dealing with a few thousands years of history here and therefore it can indeed become confusing.

There is three large period of Rome history, first the Republic, then the Empire period and then the period after the break up of the Empire between West and the fall of the Western half.

The Eastern half we now call the Byzantine Empire and it did not fall until the 14 century or so to the Muslins.

As I said it can be very confusing as we are dealing with one hell of a time frame here

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 02:52 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

As there seem to be so many experts here even if they do not know when the Roman Empire was born I should allow one of then to reply however think of the Rhine river.

When was the Roman Empire "born"?

And why do you mention the Rhine river? (Augusta Vindelicorum is the second oldest city in Germany and was an important castra, too; Cambodunum is situated in the Alps; around where I live are a couple of smaller Roman oppida/villae... ... ...
Francis

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 03:07 pm
@BillRM,
Oh, it's only the way you express yourself and your lack of accuracy that made me confused.

If needed, I can cite, off the top of my head, all the dates you don't have at your finger tips, as I have them on the tip of my tongue...
BillRM

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 03:13 pm
@Francis,
My my how nasty of you.

Here I was thinking you were an ok guy and you turn out to be just another asshole in a whole group of assholes on this thread.

Damn it as it would had been nice to have at least one other person that was not an asshole posting here.

Seem like we have a whole group of historic experts that somehow and for some reason believe that myths driven stories should be taken at face value even if they do not make any kind of sense at all other then at myths.

So my nasty expert on the Roman period you think that naked men did attacked a Roman Shield wall waving swords?

Francis

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 03:21 pm
@BillRM,
Sorry about deceiving your hopes..

However, your appreciation of my anal quality seems to depend only if I agree with you or not...
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 03:21 pm
@BillRM,
Rudis garullus!
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 03:25 pm
@Francis,
Agreeing or not agreeing have nothing to do with it my silly friend.

Now my nasty new friend you are of the opinion that naked men did indeed attack a Roman Shield wall waving swords correct?
Francis

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 03:27 pm
@Sglass,
I don't know, Sglass, but I'll try to find out..
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 03:35 pm
@Walter Hinteler,

And why do you mention the Rhine river? (Augusta Vindelicorum is the second oldest city in Germany and was an important castra, too; Cambodunum is situated in the Alps; around where I live are a couple of smaller Roman oppida/villae... ... ...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lord why do I try?

I was nice enough to point out as a side note Turtledove new novel and how it deal with the lost of three Roman legions and one of the assholes here stated that it was not all that big lost.

And it all follow from there.

Google the dates for the Roman Republic and it end and the beginning of the Empire as I am getting kind of bore of being a nice guy surrounded by assholes.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 03:38 pm
@BillRM,
Asshole, nasty, silly - what a list of nice adjectives!

I bet you have many more on your inventory.

All that because I said you were inaccurate..

And the adjectives above only prove that you really are inaccurate...

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 03:42 pm
@Sglass,
Sglass wrote:

Who painted that? Eakins?

A certain Howard David Johnson, "Kreimhilde's Revenge"

(Which should be 'Kriemhild" [from the Niebelungenlied].)
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 03:42 pm
@Walter Hinteler,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lord why do I try?

I was nice enough to point out as a side note Turtledove new novel and how it deal with the lost of three Roman legions and one of the assholes here stated that it was not all that big of a lost.

And it all follow from there.

Google the dates for the Roman Republic and it end and the beginning of the Empire as I am getting kind of bore of being a nice guy surrounded by assholes.

Now gentlemen once more you are all claiming that anyone would be silly enough to attack a Roman Shield wall naked waving swords?
BillRM

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 03:46 pm
@Francis,
You came to me asking for information that I took my time to give you and then you turn around and insulted me and told me that you did not need that information at all as your knowledge was far superior to mine.

Seem as nasty as nasty could be would you not say?

There is no question in my mind in any case that such is the actions of a first class asshole.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 03:49 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
I am getting kind of bore of being a nice guy surrounded by assholes.

Perhaps you should change the seat and/or location? However - pares cum paribus facillime congregantur, Cicero dixit.